Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #7351
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperCruise View Post
I don't really care what it weighs because it "feels" better. Isn't that what riding is all about?
Sure, that works for you, but "feel" is highly subjective and what feels better to you may not feel better to me. And who is to say that the feel of the bike wouldn't be even better if it were 35-lbs lighter?

Personally, I'll take a 35-lb lighter bike over a bunch of anything-but-objective owners saying that the weight doesn't matter because if "feels" so good. And I've got no dog in this to dis the S10 - I have one on order. I just think it is what it is - a bike that is very very good DESPITE it being a little overweight.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:29 PM   #7352
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
Has anyone gone through a set of Mezteler Tourances on their S10 yet? How many miles/kms did you get out the front and rear?
I'd be guessing 18-20k klm,similiar to my Caponord
But,it would be interesting to know if the S-10's
traction control improves tyre life
I admit the S-10 is definately on the short list...
Old 03-15-2011, 04:32 PM   #7353
JohnG.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,928
Quote:
I don't really care what it weighs because it "feels" better. Isn't that what riding is all about?
YES,INDEED
Old 03-15-2011, 04:56 PM   #7354
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
And for another long post.........

Dallara you correct and a great writer.

Let's not fool ourselves, the S10 is a heavy, heavy bike. I don't care what one thinks, 260+kilos is heavy, no matter how you look at it. That's 572lbs on a good day, and that is not counting all the crap in your panniers, your own weight and your pillion, gas, oil, farkels....... We might as well say the S10 weighs in at 300k, easy.

Case in point: The other day I was at a gas station filling up. The pump I chose had the drain right in front of the pump. I placed the side stand down, got off the bike and then I put the bike on the center stand with a little difficulty as the bike was slanted nose down. I filled up and then I, as always, left the side stand down in order to take the bike off the center stand. Because of the slant the bike moved forward and I stopped it from rolling forward but when the bike stopped the side stand was on top of by toes and when the bike went down.... well, you guessed it, crunch. (That fuken hurt!) So I kicked the side stand back up all pissed off (a car was waiting to fill up behind me, I was rushing as a courtesy) I then got back on the bike (with my toes screaming from having 5,000lbs dropped on them, boots did not help with the agony) and I forgot that I stupidly kicked the side stand up! The bike, of course, went down! I tried to pick it up, but my toes did not feel like helping me, and 3 gas station attendants where helping me right away to pick the bike back up. That bike is HEAVY!

Old Git Ray is my personal Obi One btw, he picks up the S10 like it's made of paper. (To my embarrassment)

Now, I would like to shake the designer's hand and ask him/her how they managed to make a super heavy bike feel like a featherweight when you sit on it, or ride it, or turn it around in tight areas, or anything at all with it. On sand, gravel, tight turns, wide turns, parking it, jumping sidewalks, doesn’t matter, the S10 feels like a YZ450F in agility, just with more power and yes, a little added eight, which is actually comforting.

My choice at purchase was a GS or GSA, both of which I do like. I never did ride the S10 before purchase, I remember when you could only order it on the Internet with Yamaha when it first came out and I almost did.

I will explain it this way, since it is difficult to explain a bike that blows my mind time and time again. I am a difficult person to please. It is not that I dislike everything, it is that I always want more of everything, or more from everything. I can think of a 1,000 great purchases that made me think I should have bought the tv 4" bigger, the bike 400cc's bigger, I bought an Audi Q7 and am now thinking of getting a Q5 as it is smaller and easier to find parking (it is not always more in a "greater sense with me") and so on and so forth..... The purchase of the S10 has been the only time that I have ever bought a vehicle or other purchase that I am not wishing for "MORE".

I have always wanted 365 bikes in my garage, I love all bikes, but now I feel that I would go back to the S10 over and over and forget about the other 300+ bikes parked in the garage. It has everything I could think of, and shows me things I had no idea it had every day I ride it. It is by far the only single purchase I have made that keeps showing me "I wish I would have had this bike years ago. No alteration is necessary"

I do not work for Yamaha, I do not sell bikes, I would be super-pissed off right now if I spent all that money and was not happy with the purchase, believe me. (No pun intended)

On a parting thought..... last night was funny. We went to Cancun two up to pick up the car which was in the shop. Tracy drives the car back, I ride the bike back but I went to an ATM, then rode on and got gas, she was a good 20 minutes ahead of me. So I ride back (having a blast with the TCS on 2 and on sport) and get home but she's not there. She gets home about 15 minutes later and I ask, "I did not pass you, I was looking for you and thought you were home already" She says "Yes, it was at the 3rd traffic light where you rode over the curb, through the parking lot, jumped the sidewalk, slid between the 5 cars in front, went back over the sidewalk and jumped it, then turned right on red, doubled back around to turn right on red again!"

And all this time I tried my best to make her feel like I ride "safe" without her

The S10 is a toy and a pleasure to ride, just you wait!

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:05 PM   #7355
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
Speaking as one of those patiently waiting Yanks I'd like to say that I really value hearing from the actual owners of the bike. And except for the unfortunate experiences of Supa12 Pilot, I've seen no owners with regrets anywhere. Gives me a lot of confidence I'm going to be happy.
Hhhmmmmmmm that was bad, first degree sarcasm on my part, I hope yours is as well

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:17 PM   #7356
SuperCruise
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG. View Post
I'd be guessing 18-20k klm,similiar to my Caponord
But,it would be interesting to know if the S-10's
traction control improves tyre life
I admit the S-10 is definately on the short list...
Thanks. I'll be very happy with that sort of mileage. 6500 kms now and they still look good.

Around Australia, Super Tenere Style
SuperCruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:31 PM   #7357
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,090
My Turn...

I think the European reviews will be using different criteria to judge against than say the rest of the world.

If your riding is predominately tarmac and shorter distances and lots of curves, you will have different criteria than say Australia, South Africa or South America frinstance where you are looking at anything from Smooth slab to Gibber desert over hundreds if not thousands of Km.

So I can understand that the Europeans would put more priority on top end power and cornering fun factor. Hell I sometimes wonder why they even bother with "Adventure bikes" at all. I have a feeling if it wasn't for it being trendy at the moment, they wouldn't be bothered. Sports touring I thought would have been more applicable.

But, In Australia, you need a bit more stability dialed in, a bit more strength, because of the crap the roads are going to inflict on the bike and a bit more reliability, because of the distances involved and the inhospitable weather, and that's just getting to work!

I don't how any European ADV bike riders have been stuck in the middle of nowhere 150km from the nearest town in 45degree heat (115 F) because their 3 way electronic fangleblaster just died and all they can do is read a "service required" sign flashing at them while they slowly de-hydrate. A small percentage I would suspect. Get stuck like that once and "reliability" suddenly becomes higher on the priority list.

Both conditions though do benefit from traction control and ABS. They might just help save you from the same fate with a broken body as well.

I have found over the years that the "character" that you found fun in the first month becomes the pain in the arse you want to get fixed after 3 months. That is the hard part even with BMW's famous long test rides. 2 hours is not enough, hence more interested in how owners go over a few months.

So different places, different ages, different priorities, different tastes. Good to see different compromises being made to suit different needs and priorities.

I don't think the majority of the US and Canadians waiting will be the least bit disappointed. Some may be though. And that is the same it has always been.

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten

GrahamD screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 06:39 PM
GrahamD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:34 PM   #7358
Dirt_Dad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Hhhmmmmmmm that was bad, first degree sarcasm on my part, I hope yours is as well
I thought it was first class sarcasm on your part. I rather enjoyed it.
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 06:41 PM   #7359
dcstrom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,546
Jesses are coming!

I've been bugging Rick at XplorerMoto about Jesse bags practically from the day I ordered my S10. At first they were non-committal but now they are IN! In fact from the email it seems like Rick has ordered an S10 for himself...

VERY skinny I have to say - from this angle at least, the narrowest I've seen.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:03 PM   #7360
Wasp
Supa10 pilot

Oddometer: 1,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggrell3000 View Post
dear wasp ( greg )

i am hoping to acquire a black ( raven ) yamaha 2012 super tenere in july or august . i am in the usa . i am not very fond of attaching luggage to a bike because panniers and top cases add weight and ruin the aesthetics . still as anybody that rides every day knows - one has to have a place to stash one's gear and haul some groceries . and if the bike is on a cross country cruise then even greater hauling capacity is required . you have posted some helpful photos of panniers mounted to your yamaha super ten . the example that i appreciated most , at least aesthetically , was your aero abs sidebags by bags connection or sw motech . i think you said the aeros were loners which you returned and ultimately bought trax pieces . how did you like the aeros ? they obviously have less capacity ( 31 lit ) than the trax and they probably would not take as much abuse as aluminum boxes but in the photo they appeared to be much less visually obtrusive than the box type luggage . also the way they were mounted on your yamaha super ten seemed to be less of an obstruction to passengers . are the aero panniers large enough to contain a spare helmet ? did you use the waterproof dry bag that comes with the aeros ? how waterproof are they ? what rack system did you employ to attach the aeros ? it seems to me that the aeros would be a good everyday choice for luggage on the yamaha - then if i were to take that monster ride to sturgis i could simply swap out the aeros for some trax side cases and a trax top trunk for maximum load capacity . having a choice between two sets of luggage might be ideal . thank you for your valued information and opinions on these matters .
frank doggrell
usa
They were only on loan to get a few pics Frank.

As has been mentioned in the thread at the time, I am not sure how they would go in heavy rain.. They do come with waterproof bags but I imagine that you would get a bit of water through the zip area all the time.

The bags fit onto the SW-M side racks with a Aero specific adaptor..
They are neat enough appearance but just not my cup of tea.

None of the bags or boxes are intrusive to pillions as they are not close enough to legs to even come into play.

Greg.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=420

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=434
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778809
Wasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:48 PM   #7361
RonKZ650
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
All I seem to read is complaints on the weight it seems like. More weight is better on the road. Less problems with cross winds, much more stabil. I've got 400,000 miles on all kinds of motorcycles and the way I ride the heavier ones worked out better for a long days ride. So all may not be lost, an extra 50lb may not only "not feel any heavier" due to the weight distribution, it may actually be welcome. Now isn't that a switch. I'm not worried about weight personally. If I can't lift this bike by myself I'd be very surprised, but hope not to test that part of it.
RonKZ650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM   #7362
Glenn C
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
OK, it’s about time I posted MY review of my S10.

Here’s my story to give a context:
Over 30 years riding experience, all dual sport/trail bikes, ranging from 125 to 550cc.
Most riding has been trail riding in state forests etc. Bikes on trailer, drive in, ride locally, drive out.
My last bike was a TT350. This was traded in on the XT1200 Nov 2010.
I used the TT350 as a commuter for 3 months before the trade in and now am using the S10 as my daily ride.
I’ve done a few 300-500KM rides on the S10, so I have experience with it in traffic, open roads and good gravel roads.

I looked at several other models before settling on the S10. I knew what I didn’t want. I’m 184 cm tall so sports/supersports bikes and the like, while fun for a short ride, are just uncomfortable for any distance. And they don’t make sense to me as a traffic-dodger… they want to go FAST, not lug along at 40 to 60 kph. The S10 is an EASY bike to ride in traffic.

I have always been most comfortable (ergonomically speaking) with the upright position of the typical trail bike, so I was looking for this. The S10 fits the bill perfectly for me.

I had SERIOUS considerations with the weight specs and to be frank, that and the price had biased me away from the S10. My first test ride came while I was looking at other bikes and the dealer suggested I take it for a ride. I still remember my initial impressions – (in the lot before riding out) this thing is BIG (compared to my skinny TT350). Then I noticed how easy it was to ride – no need for a fist full of revs to get away, plenty of effortless torque. Pleasantly impressed……Then I found out the price. It was more than my budget. So I kept looking at other models.

Then I had my second test ride at a different dealer (on my way to do a deal on a Varadero) who had a demonstrator advertised at a good price. I went on a 45 min test ride and came back all smiles. After the mandatory haggling, a deposit was paid. I picked the S10 up on the 30th of November. Never got to to the Varadero!

TIP: always do a deal at the END of the month. Salesmen are always keen to add that extra sale for the month and they’ll do a much better deal when pressed. I still smile when I think of the deal I got.

My comments

About all that weight people quote-
I can honestly say the only time I notice it is when stopping in traffic and I put one leg down as I stop. If slightly of balance, I feel the extra weight as I’m still getting the feel of the new bike. This is being REALLY picky though. It’s not an issue for me, just something I noticed and fully expected, going from a small bike to a big one. In fact I was expecting it be worse than it is.
The advantage of the weight though is the bike is very stable at speed.
This was one of the things I wanted, as I plan to do a lot of long trips.

The bike is VERY manoeuvrable in tight situations. I have no space to turn around at home and need to do a 5 point turn to get it turned in my drive way. Lots of steering lock available and again, the weight isn’t a problem.

About hands tingling/numb/bar vibration-
On the first long ride, I did experience this in my right thumb/index finger. Then I realised what was going on. I was riding with mates who had been road riding for years and were very familiar with their bikes. I, on the other hand, hadn’t been road riding for years and frankly, was a bit intimidated going from the TT350 to the S10. I was hanging on for dear life keeping up with the other guys! Enjoying it but unconsciously gripping too hard. Once I relaxed my grip, most of the problem resolved. I have also fitted bar risers and have played with the bar position. No more problems. And I don’t notice any bar vibration.

What I love about the bike
The first long ride I did included a reasonable amount of gravel. I was blown away by how well mannered the bike is on gravel. The ABS and TCS are FANTASTIC! So far I have not experienced any of the negatives cited by critics of these when used on dirt. I actually felt more comfortable on the gravel than the sealed road (it was early days with the bike and I guess my years of dirt riding helped).

The comfortable seat and riding position.

It is easy to ride standing.

It is easy to ride in traffic.

Fully adjustable suspension.

It is easy to 2-up and in T mode, the missus doesn’t woodpecker me in the back of the helmet when I changes gears.

I have always appreciated Yamaha’s easy-to-work-on build. The S10 is no different.

Best of all is I ride daily in T mode. When I feel like life needs a sparkle, I flick to S mode and have some fun. It's motorcycle prozac!

What don’t I like? (I have to get really picky here, no real complaints)
When the fuel guage gets to reserve, it displays the “F” trip meter. Each time you turn the bike off, this seems to reset to zero and start counting again. When I’ve done a fuel fill around this point, the most I can get in is 18.5 litres, so I still have 4.5 litres remaining. This should give me at least another 80-100 kms riding conservatively but the “F” trip meter keeps resetting, making it hard to judge this.
You can’t raise the handle bar too far due to the clutch line, brake line and throttle cables not having enough slack.
Oh yeah, the piss weak little rear brake lever. What’s that all about? I know it’s unified braking but I WANT to feel and use the rear only sometimes. Try using it with MX boots on. I’ll definitely be doing something about that.

Would I prefer a different model knwoing what I do now?
No. I am really happy with the bike and all the others I was considering would not match what the S10 offers me.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 AM   #7363
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn C View Post
Oh yeah, the piss weak little rear brake lever.
DEAL BREAKER!!

Thanks for taking the time to do the detailed review Glenn10

Cheers
Graham

"I just may as well admit that my other bikes are toast. I don't ride them. Plain and simple. I didn't want this. It wasn't the plan." - snakebitten
Old 03-16-2011, 01:26 AM   #7364
Brendan J
ONE HACK AT A TIME

Oddometer: 1,498
Glenn I would have nearly agree with all that you have said and mentioned about the bike. I only just picked mine up late last week and have done one medium ride on it and the only things that bug me are the seat shape is slightly wrong for me and the top surface material is a PITA not being able to move easily. The other bug bare I have is that the throttle response is sometimes a bit laggy/snatchy just off idle in either mode. Maybe I'm too used to carbied bikes and I may take some time to get used to it, only time will tell. The speedo should pass 800km by the end of the week.
Brendan J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:29 AM   #7365
GrahamD
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrom View Post
I've been bugging Rick at XplorerMoto about Jesse bags practically from the day I ordered my S10. At first they were non-committal but now they are IN! In fact from the email it seems like Rick has ordered an S10 for himself...

VERY skinny I have to say - from this angle at least, the narrowest I've seen.

They look quite good DC. Thanks for putting that up.