ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2011, 09:15 PM   #136
CATPart
Adventurer
 
CATPart's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Oddometer: 48
Where can I get this sensor?

Anybody know where I can buy this sensor from DimitriG's post a couple pages back? I have looked all over online. Anybody have a link?

CATPart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:07 PM   #137
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATPart View Post
Anybody know where I can buy this sensor from DimitriG's post a couple pages back? I have looked all over online. Anybody have a link?

I'm getting ready to order some from Boxer Supply. If anyone is interested you can have them at my cost which should be the price on their website x1.48(covers the exchange rate and shipping). I'll be placing an order next week.
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 09:20 AM   #138
bpeckm OP
Grin!
 
bpeckm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Road Island
Oddometer: 5,731
I have ordered one directly from Acewell UK ... hasn't shown up in my mailbox yet, but, we shall see what it looks like.....thinking spring: the carbs got new idle o-rings, new float pins and have been reinstalled... the exhaust got another coat of hi-temp black, and the old instrument pod has been sold.



Now to wait for parts, and a warm sunny spring day for inspiration!!
__________________
XS650 becomes a VT BackRoadRunner
Loving the 80ST
I love projects that take twice as much effort as should be needed. Should be an Airhead motto. (disston)
__________________

bpeckm screwed with this post 03-16-2011 at 10:23 AM
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:32 PM   #139
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,406
bpeckm- what did it cost you with shipping?
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 06:25 PM   #140
Acewell UK
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 5
ACE-S11 speed sensor

Hi All,

I was speaking with Bob earlier today by email and he suggested that I read this thread.

His ACE-S11 BMW boxer speed sensor is leaving me tomorrow and heading over to the US - paypal took an age to transfer the funds for some reason - echeques - don't you just hate them.

Total price including postage is 20 which I think works out at about $33 USD at the moment.

I've got a few more in stock and I'll be getting more in April.
They are really easy to fit.

I've explained a few bits about the battery charge light, which I'm sure Bob will detail on here soon. The double triangle is a Hazard warning symbol, the battery symbol on the old version of the ACE-2859 is the charge light but is intended only for car type alternators not motorcycle. Anyway, Bob will provide more details.

There are some new models in the pipeline, with many more functions.

Please note, these sensors are 2 wire hall sensors, and as far as I am aware are not compatible with other makes of speedometer without addition of a resistor and some transistors.

We don't sell ACE-2803 / ACE-2853 / or any model in the ACE-27xx range over here any more, the UK model is ACE-2856 (and ACE-2859 for cars). The LED warning lamps are not visible, they backlight the warning lamp symbols to meet EU regulations.

Craig
Acewell UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
I have ordered one directly from Acewell UK ... hasn't shown up in my mailbox yet, but, we shall see what it looks like.....thinking spring: the carbs got new idle o-rings, new float pins and have been reinstalled... the exhaust got another coat of hi-temp black, and the old instrument pod has been sold.



Now to wait for parts, and a warm sunny spring day for inspiration!!
Acewell UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #141
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Whatever happened to the 81 mm unit they were working on?
It would have dropped into a /2 bucket perfectly.
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 12:08 AM   #142
bmweuro
Mad Scientist
 
bmweuro's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Chico, California
Oddometer: 3,406
Total price including postage is 20 which I think works out at about $33 USD at the moment.

That is a great price
__________________
BOXER Metal
BMW Biker Scum
BMW Mad Scientist!
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 01:38 AM   #143
MIOB
Studly Adventurer
 
MIOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: A cold, wet, flat place
Oddometer: 918
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmweuro View Post
Total price including postage is 20 which I think works out at about $33 USD at the moment.

That is a great price
I have to agree!

Thank you for taking the time to read the thread and respond.
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:45 AM   #144
bpeckm OP
Grin!
 
bpeckm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Road Island
Oddometer: 5,731
Craig (now fellow ADV'r ACEWELL UK) has been MOST helpful in explaining the internal wiring of the units that I have used. I sent an email to their general "technical advice" address the other morning (east coast US time) and within hours had a concise, personal and well-thought-out response to my question. SUPER! Almost as an afterthought, I sent him a link to this thread, which Craig obviously read, and then responded to me, personally, again...

Cannot say enough good things about the effort to provide service!!

I posted the Acewell UK link up ^ there somewhere, but for all who are interested, here it is again:

Acewell UK speedometers

Airhead boxer sensor is under "speed sensors-cable drive" and is the Ace-S11 on the left side of the homepage.
__________________
XS650 becomes a VT BackRoadRunner
Loving the 80ST
I love projects that take twice as much effort as should be needed. Should be an Airhead motto. (disston)
__________________
bpeckm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #145
Baja Diego
Adventurer
 
Baja Diego's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acewell UK View Post
Hi All,

I was speaking with Bob earlier today by email and he suggested that I read this thread.

His ACE-S11 BMW boxer speed sensor is leaving me tomorrow and heading over to the US - paypal took an age to transfer the funds for some reason - echeques - don't you just hate them.

Total price including postage is 20 which I think works out at about $33 USD at the moment.

I've got a few more in stock and I'll be getting more in April.
They are really easy to fit.

I've explained a few bits about the battery charge light, which I'm sure Bob will detail on here soon. The double triangle is a Hazard warning symbol, the battery symbol on the old version of the ACE-2859 is the charge light but is intended only for car type alternators not motorcycle. Anyway, Bob will provide more details.

There are some new models in the pipeline, with many more functions.

Please note, these sensors are 2 wire hall sensors, and as far as I am aware are not compatible with other makes of speedometer without addition of a resistor and some transistors.

We don't sell ACE-2803 / ACE-2853 / or any model in the ACE-27xx range over here any more, the UK model is ACE-2856 (and ACE-2859 for cars). The LED warning lamps are not visible, they backlight the warning lamp symbols to meet EU regulations.

Craig
Acewell UK
Craig thanks for helping out the customer all the way from the UK. You guys rock. Baja Designs is still brand new to the Acewell line so we are still sorting through to see what cables we are going to be offering with the units we sell. We do inlcude a universal cable with all of the Acewell computers we sell. We are hoping to have the cables listed on the website really soon. And we will take note to sell the BMW cable since its seem to be popular via this thread. The line of the Acewell units we carry is very limited so we opted to carry the one unit that does everything so the customer has the option not use certain functions... You can find the Acewell product on our website at https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-407/ACEWELL
__________________
Diego
Baja Designs / Soltek Light Systems
www.bajadesigns.com
Baja Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:57 PM   #146
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Diego View Post
Craig thanks for helping out the customer all the way from the UK. You guys rock. Baja Designs is still brand new to the Acewell line so we are still sorting through to see what cables we are going to be offering with the units we sell. We do inlcude a universal cable with all of the Acewell computers we sell. We are hoping to have the cables listed on the website really soon. And we will take note to sell the BMW cable since its seem to be popular via this thread. The line of the Acewell units we carry is very limited so we opted to carry the one unit that does everything so the customer has the option not use certain functions... You can find the Acewell product on our website at https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/C-407/ACEWELL
Ummmm, I think it is much more cost effective to order direct from the UK.
No offense Diego, but let's compare here.
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #147
Dave-d
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Austin, TX
Oddometer: 31
Quick question on the S11 sensor

I just received the sensor, and I am about to order a speedo unit. The big thing I have noticed is that various sources list Acewell units that are compatible with the sensor (hall sensor). The only one that I have found that specifically calls out compatibility is the 3xxx series. Is there actually a list of units that will work with the mentioned sensor? The 28xx was the one I am interested in, but I would prefer to know before I jump.

Thanks,
Dave

74 thru 81 R90 ish.......
Dave-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #148
Acewell UK
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 5
Us / uk

Hi wirewrkr,

I would recommend to support your local distributor in whichever country you are in. Prices are very similar in both UK and USA. For example the ACE-2853BK in USA is $229 and in the UK our nearest model ACE-2856AB is 143+VAT and shipping. Exchange rate when paying by credit card / paypal is about $1.63 = 1.00 so that works out at $233 approx, add shipping and probably 15% duty when the parcel arrives in the USA and you're up to $278

Once Diego adds the speed sensors to his website, I'm sure that they'll be similar prices too.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Ummmm, I think it is much more cost effective to order direct from the UK.
No offense Diego, but let's compare here.
Acewell UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:54 AM   #149
Acewell UK
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Oddometer: 5
Speed sensors and computers

Hi Dave,

The general rule for Acewell computers is that if the part number displayed on the screen is underlined then it is compatible with hall sensors. For the past 3 years all units sold in the UK have been hall sensor compatible. Not sure about those sold by electrosport. Diego, are yours underlined? I can't tell from your website as the photos are stock catalog pictures.

There is no way to tell from the part number as the same part numbers are used for both hall and non-hall versions. The only difference is where the sensor wire is soldered onto the PCB inside - hall sensor versions are soldered to the connector marked hall and non-hall sensor versions are soldered to the connector marked speed. PCB in both versions are the same.

Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-d View Post
I just received the sensor, and I am about to order a speedo unit. The big thing I have noticed is that various sources list Acewell units that are compatible with the sensor (hall sensor). The only one that I have found that specifically calls out compatibility is the 3xxx series. Is there actually a list of units that will work with the mentioned sensor? The 28xx was the one I am interested in, but I would prefer to know before I jump.

Thanks,
Dave

74 thru 81 R90 ish.......
Acewell UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 04:02 AM   #150
MIOB
Studly Adventurer
 
MIOB's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: A cold, wet, flat place
Oddometer: 918
Say Craig,

I think your company owes me some beers. Pretty sure I helped quite a few people buy your tacho's :P

I love my 2853, so I keep harassing people untill they buy one too



No, seriously, love my Acewell tacho. I still can't understand why there are so few affordable similar units for sale. Good to see that Acewell is coming with new designs, hope they include a unit in the same housing as the 2853, but with a bit more of a 'classic' display.
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014