Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #31
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX K@@TER RED View Post

Looks great! I wonder if the backfiring is caused from a leak from the header to the Vince?

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #32
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
Looks great! I wonder if the backfiring is caused from a leak from the header to the Vince?
The 8gs....run lean....( not in a dangerous way) to achieve the great fuel mileage. Also...if you come from a stock pipe...It takes a little time for the ecm to adjust.... You cant really hear the backfire on the stocker....because of the baffle....

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:07 PM   #33
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The 8gs....run lean....( not in a dangerous way) to achieve the great fuel mileage. Also...if you come from a stock pipe...It takes a little time for the ecm to adjust.... You cant really hear the backfire on the stocker....because of the baffle....

Erling
Good info, I am going to leave the baffle out for a while and see if it adjusts. I have only ridden it around the neiborhood a few times since the install. I'll be putting some miles on it this week (on vacation and spotted some trails in the area )so mabey the ecm will adjust and the pipes will set in place so that the backfiring will lesson.
Old 03-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #34
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post

Erling
I went through the same "growing pains" with popping and backfiring on shift and decel after I installed the LV pipe and Uni air filter. As ebrabaek suggests, I gave the ECU a lot of time to try and adjust. It did compensate a little bit, but not enough. Still pop pop popped on shift and decel. Heck, I gave it six months to try and adjust! In my opinion the ECU is not capable of compensating enough for a high flow air filter and high flow exhaust. One or the other possibly, but not both. After installing the Uni filter and LV exhaust I was also seeing signs of the engine running overly lean, one of them being the headers becoming heavily heat discolored. Once I observed that, it was the last straw. Point is, these bikes are tuned for the lower flowing paper air filter and lower flowing stock exhaust. The ECU can compensate some, but no where near enough for a high flow air filter and high flow exhaust. The compensation feature in the ECU is primarily for altitude, temp, and humidity compensation, not for a dramatic difference in flow. I have since installed the Booster Plug and have noticed a dramatic reduction if not disappearance of popping and backfiring. (Accelerator Module will do the same). But unfortunately, the best option would be a Power Commander. Either option you choose will help, and not only will the bike run cooler and happier, but you'll also observe better power output. Good luck.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:23 PM   #35
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
I went through the same "growing pains" with popping and backfiring on shift and decel after I installed the LV pipe and Uni air filter. As ebrabaek suggests, I gave the ECU a lot of time to try and adjust. It did compensate a little bit, but not enough. Still pop pop popped on shift and decel. Heck, I gave it six months to try and adjust! In my opinion the ECU is not capable of compensating enough for a high flow air filter and high flow exhaust. One or the other possibly, but not both. After installing the Uni filter and LV exhaust I was also seeing signs of the engine running overly lean, one of them being the headers becoming heavily heat discolored. Once I observed that, it was the last straw. Point is, these bikes are tuned for the lower flowing paper air filter and lower flowing stock exhaust. The ECU can compensate some, but no where near enough for a high flow air filter and high flow exhaust. The compensation feature in the ECU is primarily for altitude, temp, and humidity compensation, not for a dramatic difference in flow. I have since installed the Booster Plug and have noticed a dramatic reduction if not disappearance of popping and backfiring. (Accelerator Module will do the same). But unfortunately, the best option would be a Power Commander. Either option you choose will help, and not only will the bike run cooler and happier, but you'll also observe better power output. Good luck.
+...... I am getting so ever closer on the P5 with auto tune..... Have a great source for the dyno tuning in Denver,CO...... That is another reason for running this with the potato in....In my case...( stock paper filter)..... Until I see it on the Dyno...... Good observation on the headers..... That is usually the last observation you see before you venture into a " too lean territory"..... One thing that holds me back on the P5....is a very respected source here on advr.....stated they have tested it....with not good results..... Last thing I wanna do is loose 10 mpg.....

Erling
Old 03-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #36
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Damnit! Something else to buy! I found your posts on the booster plug and will probably end up going that route. That or I am starting to think I should have researched this better before leaping off and buying an aftermarket exhaust. I might just say F'it and stick the stock exhaust back on. I told myself when buying the bike that I wasn't going to mess w/any performance mods. Once you get started farkling out your bike, you just can't stop! Whole other issue,, OK, I feal better...

TX K@@TER RED screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 09:19 AM
TX K@@TER RED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:20 AM   #37
bklynz00
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
Good Look!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcteryx33 View Post
Just got one of the first LV One slip-ons mounted up. Looks and sounds great. Much lighter and should work with balanced pannier racks. Take a look

Arctery,

I have a Leo Vance on my 10 F8GS and very pleased with it. Were do you do your riding? Do you travel to Delaware any?

bklynz00 screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 07:29 AM
bklynz00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #38
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,146
I have the unifilter/Leo Vince and accelerator combination and I have no real complaints. I run the LV with the baffle in. I tried it without and the fuel economy was absolutely incredible ... 10% better so even though I didn't really like the extra noise I thought I would put up with it for the better economy and range. Probably it was fortunate that after the first tank of fuel the ECM adjusted itself to take into account not having a baffle and the fuel economy returned to normal. I put the baffle back in.

I like the combination of the LV, unifilter and accelerator. I put the unifilter in first and apart from being washable it did produce a better more responsive throttle. The LV is lighter and being carbon fibre doesn't get hot, it also produced a bit more top end power and it sounds nice but not loud with the baffle in. The accelerator module (or booster plug!) just stops things getting too lean and really smooths out the throttle response and give the impression of more bottom end power. My 800 now has great smooth linear throttle response off the bottom, good torque and enough top end.

This is the type of throttle response that KTM 990 riders would probably sell their grandmother for ... but don't tell them, most of them wouldn't believe you and the others will just be jealous!
Old 03-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #39
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I have the unifilter/Leo Vince and accelerator combination and I have no real complaints. I run the LV with the baffle in. I tried it without and the fuel economy was absolutely incredible ... 10% better so even though I didn't really like the extra noise I thought I would put up with it for the better economy and range. Probably it was fortunate that after the first tank of fuel the ECM adjusted itself to take into account not having a baffle and the fuel economy returned to normal. I put the baffle back in.

I like the combination of the LV, unifilter and accelerator. I put the unifilter in first and apart from being washable it did produce a better more responsive throttle. The LV is lighter and being carbon fibre doesn't get hot, it also produced a bit more top end power and it sounds nice but not loud with the baffle in. The accelerator module (or booster plug!) just stops things getting too lean and really smooths out the throttle response and give the impression of more bottom end power. My 800 now has great smooth linear throttle response off the bottom, good torque and enough top end.

This is the type of throttle response that KTM 990 riders would probably sell their grandmother for ... but don't tell them, most of them wouldn't believe you and the others will just be jealous!
Ditto.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #40
MSH
The Salt

Oddometer: 3,031
This helped a guy out.
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=964692

"Not all those who wander are lost"
MSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:25 AM   #41
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That couldn't hurt, I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't help I'm going to get the ACCELERATOR module.
Old 03-18-2011, 12:47 PM   #42
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 630
Installed mine the other day (no pics yet).....sounds sweet, love blipping the throttle just to hear it. No backfiring yet.
Old 03-18-2011, 01:00 PM   #43
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Again..... A little back firing is absolutely normal.... Unburned gasses in the pipe goes leaner when closing the throttle......fuel gets cut....but air moves somewhat more unrestricted....pipe goes instantly lean....and you have backfiring.... What you don`t want is any backfiring while the throttle is open. Then there is a problem.

Erling
Old 04-03-2011, 04:44 PM   #44
TX K@@TER RED
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought I would post an update to my prior posts now that I have put some riding time in since the install. I have had the DB Killer out the whole time. I have really started liking the exhaust! It sounds great and the backfiring is very minimal now, it seems like the bike has adjusted to the exhaust.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:09 PM   #45
Navaho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,015
I tried one on my F650GS. Very nice sound without the db killer, just a tad louder than stock. NO backfiring at all (stock air filter).

With the db killer installed, it is quieter than stock.

I've since sold my bike and my Leo One is for sale in the flea market.

I paid $330 + shipping from MotorcycleSuperstore.com
Navaho is offline   Reply With Quote