Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #16
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,564
If the gear fits and they can reach the pegs why not.

My oldest two kids aren't at all interested in bikes, but the younger two have the bug.

It's had it's amusing moments - I had to take my teenage daughter to guitar lessons on the bike - she's pretty easy on the eyes ;), add the jacket and guitar and I think I destroyed the transmissions on more hoons cars in 20 back and forward trips than the police have managed with 5 years of "seize and crush" policies ;)

Pete
PeterW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 03:32 AM   #17
Blur
Screwed and stapled

Oddometer: 4,220
Here are guidelines that I have used with my son over the last few years:
- appropriately dressed (over-the-ankle footwear, long pants, long sleeves, gloves, full-face helmet)
- must be able to reach footpegs
- must understand the importance of holding on and not falling asleep
- And for me.....the first few months, stayed within 10 miles of house within 45 mph zones (so that he could get used to the experience)

Lastly, in my opinion, those "toddler belts" that some people use to strap their kids to themselves are dangerous. In the same vein as "dress for the crash, not the ride", could you imagine having your child strapped to you as you're tumbling down the road?

A 4 mile trip to school in 35 and 45 mph zones when he was 6:

A 80+ mile trip to an OHV trail just last year (7 or 8):

I had a friend trailer his bike down for me:

Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #18
Zerk
DILLIGAF

Oddometer: 3,204
I wouldn't do it if you or your wife have been spayed or neutered.

foreign lands and alien birds, hear stories that no ones heard-D.A.D.

Helmets are like rubbers, you know you should wear one, but its so much better when you don't-Me.
Zerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 05:53 AM   #19
mrxinpa
Just Get Out and Ride !!!

Oddometer: 1,546
Excellent Topic. Thanks to everyone for offering their opinion.

We live out in the country on a beautiful section of road right at the base of a ski area. We have bike traffic all summer long. I have a 2yr old who , Runs to the window everytime a bike passes. He really lights up every time he hears me crank up on of the steeds. The wife and I have had to conversations about when is a good time to:
A) get him his own bike (4-5)
B) take him for a real ride. (we agreed on 4-5 depending on a few things)

My dad bought me my first bike at 7 and I briefly remember my first ride with my uncle at 5-6? @ 47 I've been riding a long time and feel that all the information here has been very useful. Putting a child on the tank of of a KTM450 and riding in circles in the grass is one thing but ploping them behind me on the Strom would be something totally different. There I agree with those who state the kids feet should reach the pegs and ATGATT.
80 CB900 Custom(Restoring)
mrxinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
I don't see the risk. Done right riding is not dangerous.

If they are big enough to fit and old enough to follow instructions they are good to go.

ATGATT!!!
Old 03-18-2011, 08:54 AM   #21
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 921
It is, without a doubt a function of size of the child but,......
Times have changed, there's lots of lawyers with nothing to do.
When it isn't your kid, you aren't parent and child. You are the future defendant and plaintiff.
When it is your kid, now you have to worry about child endangerment.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #22
Phineas
Joe Lunchbox

Oddometer: 166
My two daughters grew up around motorcycles. Once they were four or five if they wanted a ride I'd give them one (totally geared up) but always went out of my way to make it seem no big deal either way. I took MSF dirtbike training with the youngest and her boyfriend. The boyfriend dug it but she wasn't all that excited after the class.

Deep down inside I felt like one of my successes as a parent was that neither kid was all that interested in bikes.

When the youngest moved to Oregon the first thing she did was sign up for the Oregon rider training program. She was saving for a Ninja 250 when she decided to move to New Zealand where she now rides a friends scooter and is saving for her own.

I have always been horrified at the very idea that I would crash and a loved one would be injured. I hate two up with any of them. I don't care who's fault it was I don't believe I'd ever get over it. Everybody in the family enjoys some sort of high risk sport but we all do it on our own.

Everybody has to make their own decisions on this one.
Phineas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:10 AM   #23
Mistress of the dual
Some say....

Oddometer: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelRain View Post
My future wife and I have decided to I will get to buy a Hack so that we can take the kid with us once he/she is old enough (we are thinking about 4 years old) then maybe around 6 or so throw them on the back if they want.
Do not believe this guy for a minute. All future children of SteelRain will know how to operate a motorcycle before they can walk. It will be in their blood.

When it comes to kids someone will always criticize how you parent them. It would be a shame to not let your kid ride and have them miss out on some serious family bonding time.

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #24
sthoerner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Be Careful, but I'll vote yes

My son rode his first bike (a PW50) at 4 years old. He's messed with bikes since he could walk. You have to be careful and wear gear, but everything has some risk.
Here's my son in 1983:
Photobucket
Here he is with his son last week!
Photobucket
It appears their having fun & I wouldn't want to take that away....

It works when you get old too. Here's my wife's grandma with me in 1983:
Grandma

Have fun!
Steve in KY
sthoerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #25
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,246
It really depends on the kid. My oldest was terrified at 11 and didn't ride much with me growing up, he was happier on his own dirtbike.

My youngest boy loved riding at 8, he'll do anything to this day..jump off bridges, bungee jump and stuff, great passenger on a bike.

When my daughter came along I tried her on the back seat at 4, but she was too scattered and couldn't pay attention, stuck her in the sidecar with something to do and she was good at that..she got good at riding on the back around 11 or so.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 PM   #26
tastroman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,597
When it all boils down, you are the only one that can answer your question. You know what the risks are. Do the risks outweigh the rewards? It's not what anyone else thinks, it's what you think.

I've chosen to take my daughter along. It's great bonding time for us and something I'm sure she will carry it with her long after I'm gone. At 12 she doesn't understand the risks or the rewards. One day she might wake up and say "how could my father be so reckless with my safety" than, she might wake up and say, " I'm glad my father did not leave me at home watching TV every time he went exploring".
2009 Buell Ulysses XB12XT
tastroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Good opportunity to talk to your older kids

My son has been riding with me for years. AGATT of course. Now that he's 14, he has his own dirt bike and will probably ride the KLX to high school when he's old enough.

Between now and then, he rides pillion with me quite a bit. It's a great opportunity to get him thinking about riding proficiently. Our conversations go a lot like this, "Hey bud, where do you think the threats are?" He's learning to see that car at the light in front of us that might turn left, or the chick in the SUV yacking away on her cell phone in the next lane.

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #28
Sparrowhawkdesign
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
Laugh Children on motorcycles

This is a favorite topic for me. I took my 8yr old nephew on a three week coast to coast trip in my sidecar. We camped all the way and it was one of the best rides of my life. He is now 36 and still talks about it. Things like this are too important to miss out on.

My son was on the back of my motorcycle at three but not until I had custom built a special seat similar to the plastic seats you sometimes see on the back of bicycles. Full wrap around like an arm chair and foot rests built in to his size. This was bolted to my bike. Once he was seated in that with me in front of him he could fall asleep without falling off and I always new when that happened because his helmet would clunk into my back. Despite the fact that these were at best no more than 20 minute rides we didn't do it until I finally found a helmet that he could wear without being too heavy and fit properly. Finding that was the hardest part.

I can't say enough about the fact that almost every child will eventually get bored and fall asleep and I will not strap them to myself or the motorcycle. I don't want to be strapped to my motorcycle for obvious reasons and they shouldn't be either. I watched my Niece falling asleep on the back of her dad's motorcycle and it was too scary for words. She was about 12 at the time. I was able to come along side and sound the alarm. It still gives me the shakes thinking about it.

Bought my Grand Niece a JR50 for Christmas but she likes her electric start ATV better so I guess my Grandson will get the JR. Besides myself nobody else in the family rides but most of the parents grew up riding with me so they understand. Lots of great memories.

Barry
Sparrowhawkdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #29
onaXR
Druid

Oddometer: 2,086
Dont think I would be into bike like I am if Dad didnt have me on the back.
I toured the back roads of my state when I was young as 4. Dad used to hook two of his belts together and strap me to him. Then I remember the Kaw H2 it had a sissy bar and a place to hold on.
To this day Dad and I will ride somewhere cool and he will say you were here in 1976 I was born in '70.
Mom tells stories of prying my hands from the handlebars so she could change my diaper.
Yeah I think its worth it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:07 PM   #30
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061

Friday was my daughters 6th. Birthday. Twice earlier she rode on the DR-200 out to the river and back. She has gear and a very nice DOT Helmet and goggles. She held onto the waist strap of my jacket and had some armrest bars around her. We never topped 40 Mph. She is pretty much fearless at this age. She has been riding a PW-50 for a year now and is pretty good.
For her birthday I made some higher footpegs and transferred the handles/armrests to my bike. The look on her face was priceless when she realized she could ride Daddy's bike was one I won't forget.
The thought of something bad happening scares the crap out of me and it dictates where I will take her. Only the back roads and no freeways. It has been a great bonding thing for us as its her special time where she gets my full attention.
So friday was the first big ride about 40 miles total. She had to pee and it was a little cold at the end but she smiled the whole way. She did say she was getting tired when we got home, so this is something to watch out for.

I must mention taking a little girl with a pink helmet and gear on around town will get you a lot of waves and winks from young ladies at stop lights. Much like taking a labrador puppy for a walk.

To me its worth it to take her, I also rode with my son when he was 10.
They were storebought so I didnt have the chance when he was younger.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is online now   Reply With Quote