User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

Oddometer: 75
A few days in so-cal

i am going from Ventura to Solana Beach using mostly hwy 1 (NO FREEWAYS!!!!! cause i hate them and so does my bike :P ) today was day 1 and im at my first stop which is a night at my friends house next to LAX (like so close to LAX that i can actually see the terminals haha)

From Ventura i rode through Oxnard then i got on the 1 and rode until deer creek road.

from there i planned on going through all of the famous Malibu canyons (Deker, Mulholland, Tuna)

(this one^^^^ and this one vvv are on the famous turn on the snake (look up rock store photo and this is where that is))

unfortunately i didn't see Stunt rd. (which was going to take me to Tuna) so i wasn't able to ride down Tuna. instead i ended up in lost Carlsbad, had to stop and ask for directions at a gas station. after that i just took Topanga canyon blvd. all the way to the coast. this entire time my chain was squeaking really badly at me and making all kinda of odd noises so i spotted a motorcycle shop in Marina Del Rey and asked the guy if he had any chain loooooooob, sadly he did not have any that he could sell me but he did have a can back in the shop that he just took out and sprayed my chain with (free of charge ) rode the 5 more blocks to my friends place and then took everything that wasn't clamped down off my bike lol, my friend doesn't have a garage or anything so the bike is going to spend the night on the street :(

sorry if the pictures are bad today but for some reason my digital camera batteries died after about 2 pictures :\

tomorrow LAX to Solana Beach :)
misteroldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:55 PM   #2
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,588
Nice pics. Need at least one pic of bike from tomorrows ride. Honda xl350? Will Solana be a day ride or overnighter? East on hwy76 out to Mt. Palomar is always nice.
Look foward to seeing tomorrows ride.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 PM   #3
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,265
250 or 500..hard to tell from this pics...guess is 79-80?? 23" front wheel....cool bike
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2011, 10:07 PM   #4
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

the day started out here at 3pm about 2 hours later than i had wanted to leave :\

because of the chain situation yesterday i stoped and bought myself some of this

the 1 started to get really trafficy and i was doing alot of filtering at stoplights, i even hit someones mirror with my mirror at one stop light
(sorry to you whoever you are). my plan was to get to solana beach before it got dark which looked less and lees likely as the miles went by

i got to long beach after about an hour and rode down a dead end street just a little ways off the main road

after this i went and got some gas then kept on riding as fast as i could south. my watch seemed to be set on fast cause everytime i looked at my map it seemed like i had only went a few miles yet 30min had passed

after a bit i was in huntington beach and had to take a break

the 1 just seemed to drag on forever and i had decided to just forget the coast hwy (i was going to use it as opposed to getting n the 5 fwy) and get on the 5 fwy. now my speedo doesent work and my bike hates the freeway so this sort of really sucked. before getting to camp pedeton i stoped and got some more gas then back on the freeway for me :'(

7 miles later i turned into the rest stop

i was freezing and really soar and tense so i went pee (my first pee break all day) and that relaxed me quite a bit. on the bad news side of things there is a pretty huge oil leak from the oil drain plug area, i cant tighten it up anymore than it is because its completely striped so im just going to put alot of jbweld on it tomorrow morning. before i left the rest stop i took out a sweatshirt and another pair of pants and put them on. the rest of the ride i rode behing semi truck (it was going about 55 which is the happy speed for my bike and it shielded me from alot of wind)

right now im writing to you from another one of my friends houses. tomorrow ill be leaving really early (compared to today anyways haha) around 11am. im hoping to make it all the way back home (ventura) tomorrow, im not really sure which route ill be taking but i will be on the 1 most of the way again
Old 03-17-2011, 10:13 PM   #5
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
250 or 500..hard to tell from this pics...guess is 79-80?? 23" front wheel....cool bike
thanx its a 1981 xl500 :) its not really a great bike for this kind of trip though, the top speed was 84mph in '81 and i pretty much have to be at wide open throttle just to keep up with everyone going 70 on the fwy now lol some sprockets would probably help alot in this area but untill then i must make due
Old 03-18-2011, 06:40 AM   #6
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteroldschool View Post
thanx its a 1981 xl500 :) its not really a great bike for this kind of trip though, the top speed was 84mph in '81 and i pretty much have to be at wide open throttle just to keep up with everyone going 70 on the fwy now lol some sprockets would probably help alot in this area but untill then i must make due

i got an '82 same motor but 12v electrics and mono shock....dont over do the gearing or 5th gear will be useless and youll be slipping the clutch and rev'n her up to get moving in 1st..mine is about a 70mph max bike right now as well..i use to run her wide open on the freeway with the speedo pegged 85+mph for 50+ miles at a time but that was many many miles ago i dont push her very hard these days.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

i learned from yesterdays mistake and so i left at 11:30 nice and early. today i was actually able to do the route i wanted to do since i wasent pressed for time. i took what was the 101 which was a coastal route all the way untill i had to get on the 5

Carlsbad

after these were taken a bmw guy rode up on an old R90. we chated a bit at a stop light and then kept on going, about a mile later (hes infront of me) one of his sparkplugs blows out right infront of me (thank god i had my little helmet cam recording when that happened, never going to get footage like that again ) we stopped on the side of the road and i offered to help any way that i could. the plug that blew out was done so i rode up the street to a shop to get another one, they didnt have one but they did clean up the threads a bit so i went back and we tried it again but it just spat it right back out. i guess he was close to his destination cause he had someone come get him and i continued on

whoever you are im sorry but i forgot your name, i hope it all worked out for you :)

after this was a short ride on the 5 untill the first exit then headed up the coast hwy which was alot shorter than i though it would be. got on the 1 and made a gas stop and a few other little stops here and there

Laguna Beach

when i hit Huntington beach the sky opened up and the wind blew hard against me, it wasent untill i got to the Long Beach area that the wind died down

the next plan was to get on the 710 and head to the 405 then hit the 105 and get off at LAX, well when i got to the 710 i decided that i was ahead of schedule and went to see the Queen

i jumped back on the 710 and began my freeway riding segment, the 710 had quite alot of traffic which i loved because i coudl go about 40 and just filter through traffic, sadly the 405 was clear :( so i was forced to go fast. the entire time i was on the freeway i was just bored and hating it lol nothing to see and everyone is moving too fast. once off the freeways i made it to LAX once again

i rode straight down the 1 from here aside from a slight detour in Santa Monica (i missed the 10 freeway entrance) after a quick stop for gas i headed into Malibu

my next stop was going to be Neptunes Net. I was hoping that i could meet some more biker there and chat for a bit but when i got there the lot was empty, so i just went into the port-a-potty and changed into some warmer clothing for the remainder of the ride

home was just 30 min away and i made it just as the sun was setting :) ill leave you with 2 last pictures

I was really hoping to meet some fellow adventurers but aside from the bmw guy i didnt meet anyone else. although i did get alot of people say things like "what is that a 250? 500? i used to have one of those back in the day, great bike, i beat the hell out if and it just kept going" so it was nice to get all the compliments :)

super edit: the bike never skipped a beat, except a few times haha, twice is just died on me after i started it up and it was leaking oil the entire trip, i tried fixing it with jbweld but i guess it didnt work, other than those little things the bike ran amazingly :)

misteroldschool screwed with this post 03-18-2011 at 11:39 PM
Old 03-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #8
RedDogAlberta
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 5,504
I love the fact that people can get on any sort of motorcycle and enjoy no matter the budget. Your adventure reminds me of my first bike, an XL250 enduro. Nice shots too. I'm just back from Florida so with a forecast of snow here most of the weekend the palm trees and surf pics were a pleasant refresher.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #9
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

i think total i only spent about $50
Old 03-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
JeffS77
cheap bastard

where is she leaking oil???? the rocker cover?? i think they all do that. honda did not use a gasket there since the cover is also what holds the cam down and needs a machined surface for a perfect mating surface.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
5150esses
leotarded

Oddometer: 36
You're making me very home sick. Looks like a great day.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
where is she leaking oil???? the rocker cover?? i think they all do that. honda did not use a gasket there since the cover is also what holds the cam down and needs a machined surface for a perfect mating surface.
that area leeks too but thats not the major leak, im not really sure where its coming from, the only idea i have is the drain plug but i jbwelded that and its still leaking so???
Old 03-19-2011, 10:14 PM   #13
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by misteroldschool View Post
, im not really sure where its coming from, the only idea i have is the drain plug but i jbwelded that and its still leaking so???
oops sorry missed that in your ride report. so it is stripped for sure??hmmmm shifter seal??? output shaft seal??
Old 03-19-2011, 11:50 PM   #14
misteroldschool OP
pain monster

ya i took the case off and looked, all the thread is on the bolt :\ going to put on the case from my spare motor monday, will replace the shifter seal too. i dont think its the output shaft but then again i havent though to check that yet lol