User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 07:34 PM   #1
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,474
airhead fork caps

Hi all. On my /5, I've got chromed fork caps, but I seem to remember that some were just polished aluminum. I think I used to have a set, but I sure cant find them. The reason I ask is that I have clubman bars on the bike and they hit the fork caps, preventing me from rotating the bars back as far as I would like. I was thinking that if I had a set of aluminum ones, I could grind out a trench in them to accommodate the bars, allowing me to rotate them further back than I have them now. I wouldn't want to do that with the chromed ones. The other thing I thought about doing is to have some caps made up that are completely inside the fork tube, allowing more room for the bars, but i'd rather come up with something I can do myself. Thanks all.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyCash View Post
Hi all. On my /5, I've got chromed fork caps, but I seem to remember that some were just polished aluminum. I think I used to have a set, but I sure cant find them. The reason I ask is that I have clubman bars on the bike and they hit the fork caps, preventing me from rotating the bars back as far as I would like. I was thinking that if I had a set of aluminum ones, I could grind out a trench in them to accommodate the bars, allowing me to rotate them further back than I have them now. I wouldn't want to do that with the chromed ones. The other thing I thought about doing is to have some caps made up that are completely inside the fork tube, allowing more room for the bars, but i'd rather come up with something I can do myself. Thanks all.
The aluminum ones were pretty thin. I don't know how much yoy could clearance. You could use 1977-1980 /7 fork caps that use a 8mm or 10mm nut instead of the large caps.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:08 PM   #3
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
wouldn't it be easier to just build some shallow riser plates to put under the handlebar mount/clamp doohickeys?
That's the road I would take, probably wouldn't take much as far as thickness is concerned.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
wouldn't it be easier to just build some shallow riser plates to put under the handlebar mount/clamp doohickeys?
That's the road I would take, probably wouldn't take much as far as thickness is concerned.
That would work but you might need longer studs.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:03 AM   #5
BiG DoM
African Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Conbo of both - later nuts and slight risers?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... 'Fuck, what a trip!'

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcyclists.
BiG DoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
JonnyCash OP
turd polisher

Oddometer: 1,474
I thought of the riser plates, but as was mentioned, I'd need to come up with some longer studs. As it is, there is about 2 mm of extra stud showing when it's all put together. I havent even tried to get the studs out. I wonder it they're threaded in, or cast in to the aluminum. Guess I should try. I'll try to see what the later fork caps look like, maybe they'll work. Thanks for the replies.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #7
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
They are threaded in.
Even if you have to replace them with longer ones, that still seems easier and less unsightly as gouging your fork caps.
If I remember correctly, there's lots of thread in the bases and you can easily and safely back them out 3 or 4 mm.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote