User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 598
My ride to the 2011 Vic (Aust) 59 Club Burn Up

Late Saturday afternoon I stumbled across the flyer for the 4th Annual Burn Up organised by the 59 Club. The ride to was to depart walking distance from my house in Ferntree Gully (aka Gully) on the outskirts of Melbourne. So much for a weekend off the bike…

The King of Upwey and I discussed royal gossip over a lazy breakfast at the suitably retro named Tastee Az café in Upper Gully and watched a parade of ye olde Brit bikes heading to the meet point.

The gossiping was good so we were late to the meet point. A member of the Z Owners Club (who by their own admission are not known for their punctuality) told us the ride had departed. We accepted the invitation and followed them to Launching Place via Gembrook. (www.zowners.com.au)

The 59 Club is based on the Rocker culture of England in the 1960s (www.theclub59.org.au) – think café racers, flying boots and goggles, etc. Very cool.

The Burn Up is a charity fundraising event held at Archery Park in Launching Place (in the Warburton Valley approx. 90 min from Melbourne CBD).

The Flying Saucers rockabilly band were belting out groovy tunes.

It was a treat to see three locally made 1000cc V-twin Carberry Enfields (www.carberryenfield.com.au).

I was chuffed by the amount of interest in my Mighty Scrambler as there were some seriously interesting bikes in the car park.

There was a limited number of trade stalls including some display Triumph, KTM and CanAM bikes from AJ’s Motorcycles from Shepparton (a town in central Vic). I asked for a test sit on the new Triumph Tiger 800 and between brrrm-brrrm noises had a chat with Mr AJ about my current/past/desired fleet. Next thing, the keys were in my hand and I prepared for a surprise test ride. Me: “Would you like my licence or key to my Mighty Scrambler?”. Mr AJ: “Nah, that’s OK just come back when you’re done….”. Within a few hundred metres I was day-dreaming of riding overland from England to Australia. It proved to be a very expensive extended ride around the block…

Distance: 110km .

Disclaimers: (1) I never let truth and accuracy stand in the way of a hopefully more entertaining story. (2) Follow me, I know the way…
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote