User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 PM   #1
Scaredofthedirt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
Scrambler Scribbes (Aust): Lunch Hour Feb 26

Now that I've worked out how to post pics (I've never claimed to be smart, me), a short story from last month....

I know it is kinda lame especially on the Australian World Supers weekend but after spending virtually no time at Gully on the weekends since mid-November the list of chores had grown to the point where I could no longer jump over them on the way out of the garage. Channelling planning skills from a previous life as a mechanical engineer, I was up early and attacked the prioritised list in a frenzy. Come 1pm as it looked like I had achieved a lot, I figured I’d earned the luxury of lunch.

A few days earlier, I had collected the Mighty Scrambler from its stay with Peter at Promecha where he had fitted mid-spec Ohlins and gutted the forks. I was busting to try them out. On Friday, the postman had delivered my bargain priced “new” secondhand ebay digital camera. Likewise, I was keen to have a play.

Short on time, I headed over the hill on some local’s backroads in the Dandenong Ranges on the outskirts of Melbourne to Charlotte’s Café in Gembrook. A Thruxton blatted away as I pulled in. His buddies had decided to stay for seconds and welcomed me to their table. It turns out we were all trying to run away from our chores. I think the best excuse was “you’ve seen the anti cancer council ads about staying out of the midday sun, honestly honey it is a safety issue…”

The Mighty Scrambler simply gobbled up the corners on the road towards Launching Place. Although there is still a little work and fine tuning required to finish the suspension, I think I need to lodge a complaint with Peter. Now that the bike no longer pitches, dives and wobbles through the corners, it has exposed just how little power there is. The speedo said I was travelling considerably faster than before but it felt so much slower. Nuts. Seriously though, even on the wide tread block town/country tyres I use the difference in the Mighty Scrambler is astounding!

I just couldn’t control myself and took to the walking trails in the Kallista forest in search of some arty shots. I guess it must be a Scrambler thing as none of the walkers I encountered seemed to mind and all said nice things about my “vintage” bike. Either that or, they really liked my whistling the theme to the Great Escape….

I was back at Gully and ripping into the chores again by half three.

Distance: 109km .

Disclaimers: (1) I never let truth and accuracy stand in the way of a hopefully more entertaining story. (2) Follow me, I know the way…
Scaredofthedirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:42 AM   #2
Neonasty
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
ahh, your a local to me. Thats my riding backyard too.

I live in Clayton, but head up that was very often. Keep an eye out for my 'new' 08 Green KLR that I pick up tomorrow.

I'll give you a wave if I see you around.

-Shaun

PS. avoiding work is always the best excuse for a ride. Ive been doing Renos recently, so you can imagine the riding hours Ive managed to clock up.
Neonasty is offline   Reply With Quote