Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Oddometer: 3,870
Cougar tracks: The initial pawprints

“So are you going to camp?”
“Camp?” I gulped as my hands grew clammy and I started to shake. “Hell no, I don’t camp!”
But it was too late – I was firmly in the throes of ex-husband induced post traumatic camping disorder. The flashbacks started: visions of tiny, wet pup tents, cold, damp clothes, icy toes and icier disapproval. My long time ago ex-husband had been a die-hard ubercamper and I had been a camping neophyte. It was not a match-up made in heaven and I still bore the psychological scars. I had vowed to never spend another night in a tent.
Last fall, after owning several strictly street-oriented motorcycles, I bought a V-Strom and started planning some adventures. This May I am planning on heading south from Victoria, BC for 2 weeks and exploring the coast down through Washington, Oregon and parts of California. Then in June/July I am going to spend 4 weeks on a trip to Colorado. The plans for both are to have no plans and stay in motels, B&Bs or hostels along the way. I was discussing these adventures with co-workers when the camping question came up.
Now I’ve been reading ride reports on ADVrider for some time. Seductive adventures close to home and from wide-flung corners of the world. And in a lot of them people camped with no ill effects. The thought started to worm its way into my brain – maybe I could camp sometimes. Including camping in the “no plan” plan would allow for a lot more flexibility. It would be on my own terms and in my own way. It had been almost 30 years after all – it was time to make the attempt.
A Cougar goes racing
Lead me not into temptation ............ just follow me, I know a short-cut.

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 06:23 PM
Cowgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
rodr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 548
Welcome to the Orange Wee Club!

I'll be watching your ride report with interest when the time comes, especially as I'll be doing some touring myself around that time. Some camping is a good idea because it brings you closer to what you're out there for. Camping gear is a lot better than it used to be... have you picked any out yet?

EDIT: Oops, sorry, didn't realize you'd already done the trip! Carry on.

rodr screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 08:25 AM
rodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #3
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodr View Post
Welcome to the Orange Wee Club!

I'll be watching your ride report with interest when the time comes, especially as I'll be doing some touring myself around that time. Some camping is a good idea because it brings you closer to what you're out there for. Camping gear is a lot better than it used to be... have you picked any out yet?
Yes, the rest of the ride report will be posted today and tomorrow
A Cougar goes racing
Old 03-21-2011, 12:35 PM   #4
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,965

Check these links out for some great camping info...

http://horrorstories.anthonet.com/archives/camping
http://www.yourghoststories.com/real...php?story=6433
http://newyork.timeout.com/things-to...horror-stories
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...spooky+stories

You're welcome!!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #5
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Once I convinced myself that I could actually survive the ordeal of camping I leapt into the fire with both feet. I read numerous threads about gear and drooled over websites full of camping equipment. It seemed the trick was to balance between necessity, cost and bulk. I decided to avoid the obvious choice - a slick, purpose-oriented but pricy outdoor equipment co-op - and made my way to a local Victoria institution, Capital Iron. After two hours dashing around the camping department with a pleasant, knowledgeable saleswoman who more than matched my enthusiasm with her own, I left with a good sleeping bag in it's own compression sack, a Big Agnes, a tiny stove, a dry bag (orange, of course) and a few other necessities. The finishing touch was a marvelous little tent gifted by a friend. I was set!

So where to go to try it all out? A friend suggested a trip to Long Beach on the west coast of Vancouver Island. Perfect! The departure date was set for the following week. Then began my obsession with the forecast. There was still snow on the summit between Port Alberni and Tofino. Would it be gone in time? Was there a storm brewing for the west coast? Would there be ice going over the top? Finally I had to concede that Long Beach would have to wait, it was just too early in the season for it to be feasible. Instead I would stay on the east coast of the Island and make my way north to Campbell River and Seymour Narrows. I planned for 3 days.

The night before departure I packed all my gear. My entire camping kit fit in the top box - I was so excited!

(WTF, she finally posts a f&$%ing picture and it's of camping gear )

Clothes and toiletries (that's a whole other story) in one side case and rain gear, spare riding gear, shoes, a few tools and other miscellaneous stuff in the other. Oh, and one special item, just in case I was ready!

The day dawned bright and sunny, birds were singing and all that stuff - away I go!

Well, almost One last stop for a couple of essentials that I had forgotten.

I live near the northern tip of the Saanich peninsula close to where the ferries to and from Vancouver dock. To get anywhere north first I have to head south toward Victoria and dip around the bottom of Saanich Inlet. Luckily some of my favourite back roads take me there. Once on the northbound highway I could stay on the main inland highway or wind along the slower coast road. Really, is it even a choice?

The view to the east from the Malahat summit on the northbound road. Below is Saanich Inlet and the Saanich Peninsula.

Northeast

From the Malahat I descend back to sea level and Mill Bay

On the far shore there's a Canadian Coast Guard ship docked. You can see it between the windshield and the mirror. That'll come up later.

A Cougar goes racing

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-24-2011 at 11:43 AM
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #6
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Gee, thanks, I guess
A Cougar goes racing

Cowgirl screwed with this post 03-21-2011 at 06:44 PM
Old 03-21-2011, 09:26 PM   #7
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

From Mill Bay the road continues along the shore to Cowichan Bay. This is a quaint little marine community that caters to boaters of all kinds and is home to numerous houseboats. There is a deep sea dock for freighters to load lumber and logs bound for the Orient as well as anchorages for merchant ships to wait for space at the docks in Vancouver.

Looking back over the fields towards Cowichan Bay. You can see the superstructure of the ship anchored in the bay.

Trumpeter swans winter in the area. Yes, birds actually fly south to Victoria - it truly is the balmiest part of Canada.

It's a lovely day however the snow isn't that far away.

From Cowichan Bay the road takes me to Chemainus.

Chemainus is justly famous for the murals painted on many of its buildings. The scenes depict the history of the area and it is obligatory to take at least one picture of a mural.

The next village on the northbound route is Crofton. There is a pulp and paper mill here, you can definitely tell from the smell! The barges below are filled with wood chips used in the paper-making process.

From Crofton I wind my way back to the highway and head to Ladysmith for gas and lunch at Tim Horton's. If you've been to Canada you know about Timmie's. It's a coffee/doughnut shop founded by a hockey player - you can't get much more Canadian than that! In the east the rule is that as the Tim Horton's you left disappears in your rear view mirror the next appears ahead of you
I again leave the main highway and enter the farmlands of Cedar, following the backroads to Nanaimo.

The destination for the day was Rathtrevor Beach near the community of Parksville north of Nanaimo. This is where I would find out if I really could face my fears and sleep in an actual tent.
A Cougar goes racing
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
muskieken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
nice trip, nice bike, love that color,
thanks for the report
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #9
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,965
Do you have any more pics from Cedar? I've never taken those roads but I hear it is a nice area....

Great RR by the way!!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #10
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by squonker View Post
Do you have any more pics from Cedar? I've never taken those roads but I hear it is a nice area....

Great RR by the way!!
Thank you. I'm afraid I have no more pics of Cedar - it is beautiful there but I succumbed to the siren call of the road and couldn't bring myself to stop. Just come with me next time
A Cougar goes racing
Old 03-22-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Love your introduction!
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #12
Thinc2
Paciugo

Oddometer: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl View Post
And cool jacket - never seen that before
Thinc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
Cowgirl OP
Cougar on the prowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinc2 View Post
And cool jacket - never seen that before
I saw it at the Seattle Motorcycle Show in December and had to have it! It's an Olympia Airglide 3 and the colour scheme is called "toxic".
A Cougar goes racing
Old 03-22-2011, 07:41 AM   #14
Gitana
A work in progress

Oddometer: 6,913
Yay, Cindy! I'm so glad you're writing up your report. Vancouver Island is one of my favorite destinations.
2008 WR250R | 2008 DL650
Gitana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:51 AM   #15
Sidmariner
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thumb Cold to the Bone

Great report Cin! Knowing just how damp and chilly it was the week you took off makes this report especially impressive. I'm still getting cold to the bone going outside. It's not so much the thought of sleeping under canvas that bothers me; it's getting out of the sleeping bag in the morning that is daunting. Way to go!
Sidmariner is offline   Reply With Quote