Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2011, 03:45 AM   #151
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acewell UK View Post
Hi wirewrkr,

I would recommend to support your local distributor in whichever country you are in. Prices are very similar in both UK and USA. For example the ACE-2853BK in USA is $229 and in the UK our nearest model ACE-2856AB is 143+VAT and shipping. Exchange rate when paying by credit card / paypal is about $1.63 = 1.00 so that works out at $233 approx, add shipping and probably 15% duty when the parcel arrives in the USA and you're up to $278

Once Diego adds the speed sensors to his website, I'm sure that they'll be similar prices too.

Craig
First of all, there is no VAT to America.
Secondly the 2856 with the S11 sensor added up to $192.50 on your website checkout. Plus shipping. Your checkout indicated the shipping would be around $12.00

What ever happened the in 81mm in dash round unit that was being advertised as being available soon? I wanted that one specifically to drop in to a certain vintage German headlight bucket, but never heard any more about it.

It was on Electrosports page when they still handled your products.
That is one of the reasons I have been waiting to order a speedo, besides the fact that the ones offered here in the states don't drop into dashes or buckets, wish is what I need currently for a long term project.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!

wirewrkr screwed with this post 03-19-2011 at 08:04 PM
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:57 AM   #152
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,354
Sort of a dumb question, but looking at the speedo/tach combo units for my '81 G/S.

On the tach side of the house, is it fairly accurate with the bike being a "wasted spark"
&
Is the sensor for the tach one of those kind that wrap around the spark plug wire? Or can it be hard wired to the coil?

thanks

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 10:24 AM   #153
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,496
It can be wired to the coil IF you have the beancan/solid state ignition. Otherwise, wrap around the ht sparkplug lead.

If you look at this diagram which is also on Page 1 of this thread, it is pin #10 if you want to pick up the signal from the black wire headed into the rubber block:

I would be happy to send this as a pdf if anybody wants it, just pm me, or email me: bpeckm at gmail dot com.
Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #154
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Nuts. I just swapped it to points last year. I'll have to do some research and see if pin 10 is just an open/close function and what runs it.

Thanks for the info.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:12 AM   #155
bpeckm OP
Grin!

As an FYI, when I did that sheet, I had an early'80's bike with the electronictach, with has the ecm and hall module. The signal coming out of the ecm, to the coil, is the data-pickup for #10. Points are just a make/break to ground and don't really have a useable signal, methinks.

Hence the "wrap 5-6 turns around the ht (spark plug) leads" per the Acewell instructions.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:20 AM   #156
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Oh. Thanks, that saves me some time. Wrap it is then.

Cow eyes don't glow.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #157
Acewell UK
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi Wirewrkr

For VAT read as the duty and sales taxes that USPS might charge you on arrival in the USA.

ACE-2856 + ACE-S11 sensor + shipping is indeed approx $204 US Dollars, however, you are not comparing like with like!

The ACE-2856 is a dash mount plastic case, whereas the ACE-2856AB/AP and the ACE-2853BK are billet alloy and the billet alloy case is an extra $76 which mages a total of $280 + any import duties.

The 81mm dash mount unit has never been advertised officially as far as I know, the factory only had plans for a pod mount unit so I don't know where electrosport got that information.

The only dash mount type are in the 2856 series here in the UK.

Best Regards
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
First of all, there is no VAT to America.
Secondly the 2856 with the S11 sensor added up to $192.50 on your website checkout. Plus shipping. Your checkout indicated the shipping would be around $12.00

What ever happened the in 81mm in dash round unit that was being advertised as being available soon? I wanted that one specifically to drop in to a certain vintage German headlight bucket, but never heard any more about it.

It was on Electrosports page when they still handled your products.
That is one of the reasons I have been waiting to order a speedo, besides the fact that the ones offered here in the states don't drop into dashes or buckets, wish is what I need currently for a long term project.
Acewell UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #158
Acewell UK
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hi,

The ACEWELL units normally work great with points, I normally suggest try connecting to the switchwire between points / ecu and coil first and if it doesn't work then try the wire wrap method

Best Regards
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
As an FYI, when I did that sheet, I had an early'80's bike with the electronictach, with has the ecm and hall module. The signal coming out of the ecm, to the coil, is the data-pickup for #10. Points are just a make/break to ground and don't really have a useable signal, methinks.

Hence the "wrap 5-6 turns around the ht (spark plug) leads" per the Acewell instructions.

Acewell UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #159
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acewell UK View Post
Hi,

The ACEWELL units normally work great with points, I normally suggest try connecting to the switchwire between points / ecu and coil first and if it doesn't work then try the wire wrap method

Best Regards
Craig
My R100S BMW engine uses points. I tried the "wrap" method and the reading on the gauge was jumpy/erratic. Went directly to the coil lead and now it reads steady and accurate.
I love the Acewell Gauge and am more than happy with it. Mine's been in use for over a year. One thing I've found is that the angle must be proper to read it in dark conditions. I don't think it would be readable laying flat in a headlight nacelle. (?)

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:00 AM   #160
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post
My R100S BMW engine uses points. I tried the "wrap" method and the reading on the gauge was jumpy/erratic. Went directly to the coil lead and now it reads steady and accurate.
I love the Acewell Gauge and am more than happy with it. Mine's been in use for over a year. One thing I've found is that the angle must be proper to read it in dark conditions. I don't think it would be readable laying flat in a headlight nacelle. (?)
Glad to hear that... did you just tap into the wire that goes from/to points and coils? That would certainly be easy to do...

Old 03-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #161
bmwhacker
Still on 3 wheels

Oddometer: 4,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Glad to hear that... did you just tap into the wire that goes from/to points and coils? That would certainly be easy to do...

Just plugged it into an open lead on the coil.

Living proof you shouldn't play with matches
ABC# 1992
bmwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #162
bpeckm OP
Grin!

Cool, thanks!

Just got my transmission adapter mailed from UK today...not bad! It took as long for PayPal to "clear" the paypal check to them as it did to ship it here....lol. "Clear" an electronic check, horses pattoot!

Craig mailed it from UK on March 17th, it arrived in my home mail slot on March 28th. Ten days. Thanks, Craig!

Now, a nice warm evening of work and to get it installed... photos, I promise...

Old 03-30-2011, 12:34 AM   #163
dukerollo
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Great diagram, you removed all of that annoying thinking from the install. Thanks.
dukerollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM   #164
bpeckm OP
Grin!

De nada.... I just pulled the diagram back out myself, as I am about to install another one on OleRed.... getting warm out.....

Old 03-30-2011, 10:25 AM   #165
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhacker View Post

Yeah, That's been my experience with the wrap too. That and instruments blanking out at higher RPMs (my timing light for example). I was wondering about tapping into the wire from the points near the coil, or off the dyna booster, now it's all coming together.

Thanks, good replies here from you guys.

Cow eyes don't glow.