ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2011, 05:36 PM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
DRZ 400 preparation for the Trans America Trail

Modification list starts at post #18
Bike tool List Page 10 Post #141
Personal Gear List Page 8 Post #115

I've been trying to sell my 1976 Honda MT250, then I got the bright idea to use the money to fund more motorcycle fun. What type of fun? Well why not take the money and blow it on doing the TAT??? It won't fund the entire trip, but it'll help. Only seems right to sell a motorcycle and use the money for something motorcycle related...right??? Here's a picture of the fund raiser....



It's not my intention to use this thread to sell it as I'll have better luck selling it at the end of the driveway here at home. SO WISH ME LUCK IN A QUICK SELL. Hopefully this won't take long, but I can't even think about leaving until finishing up a class I'm taking at the community college. Presently barely employed in the construction field, hence going back to school to change profession.Getting to old for manual labor. After this semester, I'll have three more classes to take before having the chance to be accepted into the Surgical Tech program. Unfortunately those classes can't be taken all at once and must be taken sequentially.

Usually one doesn't have enough time to do something like this, due to to much work. Well currently that's not the case, hence seeking to reinvent myself through furthering my education. I have money saved up to weather the economic storm until finishing the program. Selling the bike and having some extra time on my hands, the opportunity is banging on the door. I don't see a better time to do this than now, plus a great time to get away from the typical crap that goes on being self employed in the construction field.

If I sell the bike soon, I'll leave mid or end of June from Jellico TN and go all the way to Colorado or until I run out of the Honda money. No plans to go past Colorado as it will be to early to clear the passes.

The steed for the trip will be my 1984 R80 G/S, which is well sorted out with a barley broken in 109,000 miles. Check the link below for bike info. Quick lowdown on the bike refirb since acquiring- rebuilt tranny, valve/rings/rod bearings, enduralast, R100 front end, HPN tank, HT hard bags, swing arm/wheel/headset bearings. Extra Heidenua K60 tires to take along as the current ones are more than half gone. Might be shot by May.

I plan on cooking for breakfast and dinner and camping 75% or more, to keep cost down. My concern is being able to find free camp sites along the way. Any advice for this???




Stay tuned for further updates

BTW- been getting lots of calls on the bike, but most people expect a sorted out $300 dollar bike. Spoke w/ a guy today which seemed very interested, but only serious when money changes hands!!! Seemed serious about another look on Friday or Saturday...
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-17-2012 at 05:45 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
ScottFla
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Oddometer: 167
Awesome! Ride a mile for me :)
ScottFla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 12:38 AM   #3
rhino_adv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rhino_adv's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: central Illinois (Bloomington)
Oddometer: 628
Good luck on the Honda sale, and be safe on the TAT. Keep us informed!
__________________
Old Bridges Thread
Riding the TWAT
475+ Bridges in Illinois,
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:50 AM   #4
eakins
Butler Maps
 
eakins's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Oddometer: 17,999
sure why not. owing 2 motorcycles and not having the $ to do something fun with either is missing the point.
in the end it's about the adv...the stories, the memories not the collection.
__________________
Butler Maps - motorcycle maps for riders by riders -
Alaska
AZ map COBDR AZBDR IDBDR South East map
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Butler Maps website:
http://www.butlermaps.com
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #5
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
Ok a little update- looks like I've got a job which will delay the TAT for about a month, which isn't so bad as the high passes in CO, stand a better chance of being clear. If that happens then there's a possibility to continue past NM.

I had purchased TAT maps TN to NM a year or two ago and put all the coordinates into the Zumo 550 GPS. It sure takes some time!!! I have the tracks saved on a 512mb scan disc. Monday the rest of the maps were ordered, all but Utah came in on Thursday, Sam is having the roll charts redone in color!!! Nevada hasn't been changed over. I'm waiting on the updated color Utah version. So far the GPS coordinates on the roll chart are dead on, except for a couple. The PRECUT color roll charts are 10 times better than the others previously supplied, which had to be cut to width.



It took me about 3-4 hours to input Colorado coordinates. Then connect the dots for a route. Sometimes points had to be added to keep the GPS routing correctly. As it might take a different route than intended. I'll also save the routes to the netbook for an on road backup.



The tubes currently on the bike were standard (i.e. thin) tubes. So to lessen the chance of having any flats front and rear inter-tubes were switched out for heavy duty ones. The front Michelin tube is 4mm thick and the rear was swapped for a 3mm thick IRC. Then ballance the tires w/ the Marc Parnes wheel balancer.







So stay tuned for the prep work for the TAT. It might take a while but the preparation may be useful.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 01:37 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #6
SimpleSimon
Aspiring advrider
 
SimpleSimon's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Lake Stevens, WA
Oddometer: 3,389
I'd make a backup of those waypoints on the SD card. "Just in case"
__________________
5f? Is that like riding down a 90 degree cliff face into a lake of fire? I thought 4f was bad. Abdelhub

"Assembled Spectator Scoring With Incriminating Photographic Evidence" or A.S.S.W.I.P.E. - Granparacer
SimpleSimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:57 PM   #7
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
I've been doing the way points on the desk top, then downloading that to the scandisc (probably take two) and checking to make sure it works on the GPS. Then copies are downloaded to my laptop then to the netbook which I'll be taking. TAT maps and roll charts will be taken as a backup, since anything electrical can fail.

The TAT route has be divided into smaller routes. Two separate routes for each state. The earlier 550 wouldn't take a full state route and waypoints. The newer version (two old ones crapped out) took all of Colorado w/o any complication. I don't know kind of weird the way it worked.

BMW independent shops and dealers have been added, you never can tell and the MOA Anonymous Book will be taken.

I'm not very good w/ maps and directions the GPS will help keep me on the right track.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
jessepitt
Ride More
 
jessepitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond Oregon
Oddometer: 993
I have spent my entire working life in the construction industry and am now going back to school to enter the medical field. I know exactly where you are coming from and how daunting it feels to make that huge change mid life. I hope your trip goes smoothly and helps you get your head wrapped around you new career. It should give you a lot of quality time to think and make peace with your choice. I will be fallowing along and enjoying your trip, good luck!
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #9
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessepitt View Post
I have spent my entire working life in the construction industry and am now going back to school to enter the medical field. I know exactly where you are coming from and how daunting it feels to make that huge change mid life. I hope your trip goes smoothly and helps you get your head wrapped around you new career. It should give you a lot of quality time to think and make peace with your choice. I will be fallowing along and enjoying your trip, good luck!
I feel for anyone in the construction field, but it seems (at least around here in KY), that a lot of the displaced workers have fallen into home remodeling. Seen more and more re-modelers coming out of the wood work. Then you have the low ball jack of all trades who will do half ass jobs for next to nothing. I'd rather go broke fishing than go broke working for nothing.

Checked your profile...entire life your only 30......(LOL)!!! I'm 45 and my knees won't take to many more years of daily construction work, 22 years of ceramic tile work!!! Bicycling for 25 years is the only thing that has helped, until two years ago. Then even that wasn't helping, arthroscopic surgery helped get me back in the saddle, but there are still issues.

Hard decision going back to school, financially and mentally. Financially, the choice was made for me two years ago, but jobs tricked in enough to tease me. This year my work partner got a good paying job, sucks for me, but good for him. He has a family and kids, I don't.

I've told myself if starting another field it would be in education or health care. There is no way education would be for me, and surgical tech interest me more.
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
jessepitt
Ride More
 
jessepitt's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Redmond Oregon
Oddometer: 993
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I feel for anyone in the construction field, but it seems (at least around here in KY), that a lot of the displaced workers have fallen into home remodeling. Seen more and more re-modelers coming out of the wood work. Then you have the low ball jack of all trades who will do half ass jobs for next to nothing. I'd rather go broke fishing than go broke working for nothing.

Checked your profile...entire life your only 30......(LOL)!!! I'm 45 and my knees won't take to many more years of daily construction work, 22 years of ceramic tile work!!! Bicycling for 25 years is the only thing that has helped, until two years ago. Then even that wasn't helping, arthroscopic surgery helped get me back in the saddle, but there are still issues.

Hard decision going back to school, financially and mentally. Financially, the choice was made for me two years ago, but jobs tricked in enough to tease me. This year my work partner got a good paying job, sucks for me, but good for him. He has a family and kids, I don't.

I've told myself if starting another field it would be in education or health care. There is no way education would be for me, and surgical tech interest me more.

I'm only thirty but I've been working construction since I was fourteen... So that is my whole working life... Started as a hod carrier after school while I was still in middle school. I have been pretending that it still was working since I lost my job as framing forman in Vancouver in '08. Finally came to terms with reallity this last winter.
jessepitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #11
patiodadio
Motorcyclist
 
patiodadio's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Backwoods of Kentucky
Oddometer: 363
After working in construction all my life , my knees finally had to be replaced. Did the right one 4 years ago and the left on 2 months ago. Good luck on your TAT ride, I hope to make it someday.
__________________
__________________________________________
The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
patiodadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:57 AM   #12
hardwaregrrl
ignore list
 
hardwaregrrl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 7,247
I'm very excited for you....

Richard!!! I know how you feel when it comes to the trades. I just lost a job with a guy I've done floors for for 9 years!! We've become pretty good friends over the years, I looked at the job on Monday, got a workmate to get it done in a timely fashion and found a good price on material for him. I've stopped marking up material to get more jobs...he called me this morning to tell me he hired someone else. I broke down and just balled. Not only am I out a few thousand, but so is my work mate. I can't take it much longer and will probably be carrying my books to school soon.

Keep us update, I've no money for a trip this year, so I'll be living vicariously through you!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:42 PM   #13
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
That's awful!!! I've gotten to hate this work especially lately. been dealing w/ some complete DA's here lately. Laid a floor where the guy has had the tile in his garage for three weeks, and he doesn't like the color...!!!! Good thing I didn't supply the material and I"M NOT EATING THE LABOR EITHER! It's only a small floor of 22 ft, but I'll be the one tearing it up (charging for that too). He should have dealt w/ me on the complete job, and I would have saved him money on the materials. He was dealing w/ an imbecile designer who doesn't know her butt from a hole in the ground, typical of most designers!!! I've been waiting two weeks for him to come to a decision, I could bill him for what I've done to this point but prefer to wait. He won't stiff me on my work as I've known the guy for a while. OK 'nuff complaining!!

ON a good note, after dealing with calls on the bike from people expecting a 300 to 400 dollar sorted out dirt bike, sold the bike today, $800 to the TAT FUND!!!!!! At least the bike is gone. The bike looked pretty good for a 1976 and mechanically very sound. A sickness of mine sorting things out which burn gas. Yeah I lost money on the bike, but does one ever make money on those things?? The little bike bit me one last time while starting it for the guy, kick starter got 8 inches of my shin...LOL

Last bite for the MT250 hope this isn't a bad omen...HELLO BEN, you want a bite of my left leg to????




Found a VDO C2 computer with a navigation feature which allows adjustment to the ODO. The reason I want this in addition to the GPS is that the GPS could die and when dealing w/ anything electric it good to have a standby. The GPS makes navigating SO MUCH EASIER!!!!


__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-09-2011 at 07:56 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Phreaky Phil
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: NEW ZEALAND
Oddometer: 1,733
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Ok a little update- looks like I've got a job which will delay the TAT for about a month, which isn't so bad as the high passes in CO, stand a better chance of being clear. If that happens then there's a possibility to continue past NM.

I had purchased TAT maps TN to NM a year or two ago and put all the coordinates into the Zumo 550 GPS. It sure takes some time!!! I have the tracks saved on a 512mb scan disc. Monday the rest of the maps were ordered, all but Utah came in on Thursday, Sam is having the roll charts redone in color!!! Nevada hasn't been changed over. I'm waiting on the updated color Utah version. So far the GPS coordinates on the roll chart are dead on, except for a couple. The PRECUT color roll charts are 10 times better than the others previously supplied, which had to be cut to width.



It took me about 3-4 hours to input Colorado coordinates. Then connect the dots for a route. Sometimes points had to be added to keep the GPS routing correctly. As it might take a different route than intended. I'll also save the routes to the netbook for an on road backup.



The tubes currently on the bike were standard (i.e. thin) tubes. So to lessen the chance of having any flats front and rear inter-tubes were switched out for heavy duty ones. The front Michelin tube is 4mm thick and the rear was swapped for a 3mm thick IRC. Then ballance the tires w/ the Marc Parnes wheel balancer.







So stay tuned for the prep work for the TAT. It might take a while but the preparation may be useful.
How many A4 pages of instructions are there per days riding. I just got a small Touratech routesheet holder for a local ride and later for the TAT. I just squeezed 8 A4 pages (cut into 3 strips) into it. Not sure if thats enough for the TAT ?
Phreaky Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #15
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT
 
One Less Harley's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Bowling Green, Ky
Oddometer: 4,658
Not sure I follow your question. I plan to put approximately one days ride in the roll chart holder(not sure how far that'll be either). I have a Moose Racing type, not very big. Just plan to reload every night. unless the GPS works to well and roll charts won't be needed. Haven't gotten to the point of dividing out the roll charts into tight little prerolled bundles.

I'm guessing I have 11 strips taped together and rolled up this is about one days ride. It'll hold a little more. I figure to put one days ride into the holder and then at night load up the holder again and check out the maps for the next day.

Really depends on the number of turns per mile as to how many miles covered.

I guarantee you'll not get the complete TAT rolled up in the holder.

For the Moose chart holder for the maps I have rolled up ( just guessing what it'll hold )

TN 600 miles (2.5 rolls)
Miss 217 mile (1- 1.5 rolls)
Ak 472 mile (2 rolls)
OK 745 miles (2 rolls)
NM not many miles
Co 576 miles
Utah (don't have yet awaiting color charts)
Nevda 695 miles
Oregon 514 miles
__________________
2004 BMW R1150RS
1984 BMW R80G/S
(wrenching index)
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)


One Less Harley screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 07:05 PM
One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014