User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #16
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Oddometer: 2,191
Here's a little more from Arches.

When Greg wrestled his XR650L through the sand in Arches he strained his back, which was injured in Afghanistan. He decided to hang out in camp with Rob. The rest of us went ahead up to the top of Hurrah Pass.

Hurrah Pass = typical Moab awesomeness. We didn't go down the other side, nor on to Chicken Corners. The other three guys were thinking that it would be fun to go back a few miles and head down Kane Creek. We had been talking about going to see Battle LA in Moab that night. Sigfried, Roy and Daniel Craig said they'd rather ride until dark. Kane Creek didn't seem like KLR territory, and I wanted to see that movie, so we parted ways there. (Hopefully one of them will post some info on that ride, it looked like it would be fun . . . if you weren't riding a KLR.)

Greg, Ahmadinejad and I decided to go to the movie. It was pretty good, but especially the beginning had some realistic war chaos and trauma.

I wondered if the two veterans would be less than thrilled about watching it. They started shouting "They drew first blood!", but by the next day everyone was feeling better.

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 09:30 AM
Dread Pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:06 PM   #17
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Thursday we went in and ate at Pasta Jays. The food was great. Ryan anguished at length over the choices available. Our waitress was fun and covered with tattoos of trees. Her "tree of life" tattoo was really cool.

Friday night we ate at Zax Pizza. All you can eat of the funkiest pizza in Moab. There was baked potato pizza that was good, but my favorite was the Portabella mushroom pizza. We ate 'til we were sick.

The next day we got a slow start. We were leaving Moab that evening, so we packed up camp.

We ate at Denny's (we always do in Moab), then left the truck (and Rob S.) in the parking lot there as we headed off for the White Rim Trail.

Todd had used up his dozen Q-Links

So he thought he'd try his luck at his unlicensed YZ 450 (I think that's what his bike is). We had a problem right away. There was a half-marathon in process and we were going to pass right by officers on the road directing traffic. As we drove by Greg was in back, and he heard an officer comment on Todd not having a license plate.

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 09:31 AM
Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM   #18
Sportakus
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post

Great job friend...

YAMAHA XT660Z Ténéré 2008
KTM 690 Enduro R 2014
Sportakus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:06 AM   #19
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

Todd's bike didn't hold much gas and Ryan's bike might run low, especially if we had any unforseen detours. Since I have that Denali rack on my bike I volunteered to haul a couple of gallons (Todd put some in old antifreeze bottles). I was a little worried about the fact that one of the containers would be inches from my exhaust, so I created a little heat shield when I was at Maverick filling up on gas.

One of the ladies who works at Maverick was in the back in the little bakery area. I got her to give me one of the foil containers they put french bread in. I cut it open and taped it on to a piece of cardboard I got out of their dumpster. Wa-la, one heat shield.

It's a pleasant 15 plus miles until you hit the dirt--if you're on a KLR--and it was a fun ride into the park. We stopped before we got into the park where everyone does.

Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 09:33 AM
Old 03-26-2011, 12:28 AM   #20
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

When you enter into Canyonlands via Potash Road you'll pass a sign telling you what the fees are, but there isn't any way to pay.

We made our way in, but just before we got to Musselman's Arch there were some park rangers who stopped us. They were not friendly. Todd of course didn't have a street legal bike, plus he didn't bring his license. One of the rangers told us to make ourselves comfortable because we were going to be there a while. He also kept arguing with us that there was a place to pay where we came in. (Hmm, maybe he meant up a bit farther when we turned onto the road that goes around the White Rim Trail. We argued with him, though, because where the fee sign was there was no place to pay or get a permit.)

Greg started talking with the other ranger about his sidearm. That guy eventually relaxed and quit acting hostile toward us. (They weren't jerks, they were just doing their job.) They gave Todd a ticket.

We could have gone on without Todd, but we decided to leave with him. Greg's back was still hurting and due to dust storms that started up when we were stopped with the rangers I started to develop really bad allergies and was feeling extremely fatigued.

We decided to ride back to Poison Spider. I would go back in to town and get Rob S. and the truck, drive out there and we'd load everyone up. While I was gone Rob D., Todd and Ryan were going to ride some of Poison Spider.

I found Rob S. and we started driving back. We stopped when we saw Greg's bike at the side of the road. He was looking at some native american art that is very, very old. Rob S. took some pictures of it.

And I have no idea with this is, but it has feet.

Even though we didn't get anywhere on the White Rim Trail that day, it was still late afternoon by the time we were loading up to head home.

It's just six short hours home, so Greg and I really wanted to get home that night. We stopped and at a Chinese buffet somewhere around Price, Utah, and rode the rest of the way home in snow and rain. Uneventful. We had a good time in Moab despite the glitches.
Death Valley Ride
Old 03-26-2011, 12:38 AM   #21
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

If history is any guide the other guys won't post, so I think I'll throw up some of their pictures without any story.

Death Valley Ride
Old 03-26-2011, 12:43 AM   #22
Dread Pendragon OP
Slartibartfast

(Goodness sakes it's hard to get a rise out of these guys. You'd think Ahmedine-whatever and Sigfriend and Roy would provoke a response. I ran across that picture of the Iranian president and remembered I had a funny picture of Rob S. from the Tour of Idaho. I was trying to think of something funny for Rob D. and Ryan and thought of Sigfriend and Roy. The funny thing is that I didn't realize until after I had combined the pictures that Rob actually looks like the dark-haired one!)
Death Valley Ride

Dread Pendragon screwed with this post 03-26-2011 at 10:31 AM
Old 03-26-2011, 05:21 PM   #23
bomose
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Good report. Sorry you had problems with the Rangers. I've never noticed a place to pay at Potash either. I usually have a Golden Eagle pass for all the parks anyway. By the way, you said you were having trouble in the soft sand. I had trouble until I took the fender bag off the front of my KLR. Seems it wanted to push the front.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=955211Chasing Dinosaurs
bomose is offline   Reply With Quote