Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #271
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351
Dave And LoveShack: Down In The Valley, High On Life.

[QUOTE=iDave;15164018]Mike,

Thanks for sharing these four riveting photos. I've been sitting here staring at them for the past hour. The guy in the first photo has a striking resemblance to the guy in the last one. Are they the same person? Do you know what ever became of them? And, hopefully I'm not prying too deep, but I would love to hear your thoughts about the events and circumstances that unfolded as that last photo was taken...

If you'd rather not go there, no worries mate! Thank you so much for joining this thread .

Dave

Hi Dave,
No, I don't have any problems about it. The guy in the first photo with the M-60 was a big fellow, around 6'2" or so, and, naturally, everybody called him "Tiny." He was with, I believe, C Company of the 2nd Battalion of the 28 Infantry Regiment. The guy in the last photo was with a different unit and darned if I recall which one. You're right, though, there is some similarity and, funny, I never noticed it. I'm sorry, I do not know what happened to those guys.
Did you look at Martin Tucker’s sight from my last post? Well, when the exposé, “A Thousand Words” was touring the US, it proved to the impetus for having a reunion of our old team, Danger 78, in Kalamazoo, MI. Our former helicopter pilot was battling cancer but made it to our reconnection. A few months later, he died. Our former CO and I attended, making sure our friend’s widow had everything she needed during that difficult time. During the visitation, I was approached by a gentleman who I had noticed noticing me earlier in the evening. When he reached me, he said, “Your face has changed but your eyes are still the same.” I didn’t recognize the gentleman. It turns out I pulled him aboard a hovering Huey chopper during a firefight. He had grown up with our pilot and neither had known at the time they were in the same division, the Big Red One.
Sorry, Dave, I didn’t mean to hijack your thread.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 03:27 PM   #272
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

[QUOTE=iDave;15164018]Mike,
And, hopefully I'm not prying too deep, but I would love to hear your thoughts about the events and circumstances that unfolded as that last photo was taken...

If you'd rather not go there, no worries mate! Thank you so much for joining this thread .

Dave

Hi, again, Dave,

Whew! I had a bunch of work stuff pile up and it got in the way of my forum viewing. Sorry I had to break away.

I the winter of '69 & '70, the First Infantry Division was placing fire support bases very close to the Cambodian border. This was before the invasion and, basically, MACV and USARV wanted to know what units were across the border. This was a time when there was a lot of small unit contact. We had mostly VC units in our area of operations but there were NVA (North Vietnamese Army) around. We got into a firefight with what we though was a NVA recon probe but it turned out to be different; it was a probe in force. Our officers though we were in contact with a least a company. Initally, we had a difficult time obtaining fire superiority but with the help of Cobra and Charlie-model gunships, we advanced on the enemy. They broke contact and our helicopters kept the pressure on as they retreated. We chased them, trying to catch them as they crossed the river. As superb infantry will do, they set an ambush as they knew we'd be coming. Our point man killed the soldier in the picture and most of the NVA fled. We caught them in the river a short time later.

I dug around in some of my photos and found this one of the exhibit, "A Thousand Words."

This lady stay for longer than normal looking at the photo I'd taken. I never approached her and my wife ask why. I told her I didn't want the lady to think less of me. I still carried some guilt about those days. That's over now. Being with those orpans from An Lac really helped.

Thanks for asking, Dave. Means a lot.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 02-12-2011, 04:17 AM   #273
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Good morning, Dave,

Thanks for the kind words and, like all your words on the forum, they're appreciated. Since you mentioned the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, I've got to tell you about an experience I had there once.

I was in DC on business so I left the comfort of the Crystal City Marriott one drizzly evening and headed to The Wall to pay my respects. Actually, I wanted to do a little photography with no one around so I got there about 1:00 AM. As I got the tripod set up, I heard the distinct sound of a woman's high-heeled shoes behind me. I turned slightly and, as I did, a well-dressed walked purposely past and stopped about twenty feet away. She faced The Wall for a couple of minutes before reaching into her bag and placing something at its base. After a brief moment, she turned and retraced her steps. She walked past as though she never saw me. I waited a moment and walked over to where she'd been. There, at the base of the monument, was a well-worn teddy bear. Somewhere on that black granite panel was the name. I never took a single photo that night even though subject, composition and light were perfectly present. I just couldn't do it.

I'm certain you know what I mean.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
Old 02-12-2011, 02:40 PM   #274
pirate63
SUPA 10 PILOT

Oddometer: 436
Brillant Dave
pirate63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:57 PM   #275
Goran69
MNE

Oddometer: 825
So much human stories....here....you Dave bring best out of us.....some reading and some contributing.....great way to spend evening
Goran69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 06:36 PM   #276
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
Now that's funny...

He still lives down the street from me. In all these years since, I’ve never seen him on another bike.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #277
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 986
That's one funny tale... sounds very similar to the one my wife tells me when she reminds me that she's not the least bit interested in riding a motorcycle. Someone scared the heck out of her the first time she rode and that was it; I'm a little thicker, I think I'd be jumping back up and asking if it was my turn to drive... actually that's just about exactly how I started riding a snowmobile as a kid of 9 or 10! Which of course lead to us using that old Elan 300 to tow one another around the trails on our skis, sleds, inner tubes, etc. way out in the bush... we were so disappointed that my friend's dad wouldn't let us do the same on his Merc 1000!
Glad to see you posting recently, take care.
Cheers,
Craig
Old 02-15-2011, 05:48 AM   #278
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,119
Some fascinating stories Dave. I can relate to the Minibike stories, not because I did anything similar, but because when I was that age I dreamed about the experiences you had. Sevaral kids in the nieghborhood had bikes similar to yours and one even had my first dream bike, a Honda trail 70. My parents wouldn't let me get a minibike, not because of the danger, but because riding them on the street was illegal. Of course that didn't stop anyone from riding on the street anyway. My childhood riding experience consisted of a couple of short rides on a friends Sears 106. I didn't do any more riding until I got my first bike at 22.

Despite the late start, I still got hooked on riding. I wonder if some of us are just born with the "motorcycle gene" I suspect Danny wouldn't have become a motorcyclist even if he never had that experience with you. Many people own motorcycles but only a few really get hooked. I'd bet that If you hadn't started riding until later, you'd be into it just as much as you are today. If anything, getting a late start has resulted in my overcompensating for what I missed as a Kid. Of course, as my signature line indicates, I have never really grown up

Great thread Dave, not only your stories but also the great responses.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:47 AM   #279
redog1
KLR650-2009

Oddometer: 1,553
First time I got on a bike...

it was a trail 90 back in 1970, I was 9. My father directed me to stay in one area of the field that he was teaching me in so what do I do, I ride where I wasn't supposed to. I ended up in a ditch with the bike on top of me and the handle bar jabbing me in the chest. My father beat my ass all of the way back to the house. . I deserved what I got but didn't learn.
Funny stories we all seem to share.
Brien
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #280
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,420
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Memorable Wrecks.

The first day I rode that minibike, I was riding solo around the back yard. After a few laps, I became overly confident. Still unsure of it’s controls, and heading toward the house faster than anticipated, I grabbed a hand full of throttle instead of the brake, and ran straight into the side of the house. Fortunately, no one saw it happen, so I pulled the bike back, and continued learning the art of riding.

When I got the mini enduro, I quickly learned how to operate the clutch, and once again I became overly confident. Danny had no clue.

I used to ride this path that followed a stream not too far from home. I knew every dip, pebble, root, twist and turn along that path. If I hit it just right, I could hit 4th gear for a moment or two down the long straight before downshifting into 3rd as the path dipped to the left, then suddenly went right over a one foot incline. On a good day, the front end would come up…

When Danny asked if I would take him for a ride, (actually, now that I think about it, I don’t think he asked, I think he just gave into persuasion on my part,) we took off from my house on the mini enduro. The weekend prior, I had just installed the Bassani, removed the lights, installed a plastic front number plate, removed the passenger pegs , hell, I even installed one of those dandy foam thumb guards on the throttle tube (see pic). I had one goal this day: hit that incline in 3rd and lift the front tire off the ground…

We tore down that path as fast as 60cc’s would take us. Danny’s legs were flailing all over behind me, adding to the difficulties of controlling the bike, which I had never ridden two up. I did manage to hit the incline at speed, at which time, I lost control, causing Danny and me to flip over the handlebars, and land about 10 feet away from the bike. Bruised and bleeding, I asked Danny if he was okay? He responded,

“I’m going home.”

I told him,

Alright, get on.”

He said,

“No thanks, I’m walking.”

He still lives down the street from me. In all these years since, I’ve never seen him on another bike.

Fast forward a few years when Danny and I attempted to test the handling capabilities of my 66 Mustang which had a similar ending… We’ll save that one, for now .

Perhaps those doctors knew what they were talking about .
So....what happened with the Mustang?

knybanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 01:52 PM   #281
allonsye
("lets go!")

Oddometer: 858
Quote:
Originally Posted by klaviator View Post
Some fascinating stories Dave. I can relate to the Minibike stories, not because I did anything similar, but because when I was that age I dreamed about the experiences you had. Sevaral kids in the nieghborhood had bikes similar to yours and one even had my first dream bike, a Honda trail 70. My parents wouldn't let me get a minibike, not because of the danger, but because riding them on the street was illegal. Of course that didn't stop anyone from riding on the street anyway. My childhood riding experience consisted of a couple of short rides on a friends Sears 106. I didn't do any more riding until I got my first bike at 22.

Despite the late start, I still got hooked on riding. I wonder if some of us are just born with the "motorcycle gene" I suspect Danny wouldn't have become a motorcyclist even if he never had that experience with you. Many people own motorcycles but only a few really get hooked. I'd bet that If you hadn't started riding until later, you'd be into it just as much as you are today. If anything, getting a late start has resulted in my overcompensating for what I missed as a Kid. Of course, as my signature line indicates, I have never really grown up

Great thread Dave, not only your stories but also the great responses.
Ditto, ditto, ditto. Some of us had a little money cobbled together from our paper routes and bagging jobs at the Wegman's, -- enough cash to get the necessary parts/hardware to convert our stingray bicycles to mini-bikes by simply stripping the bike frames down to nothing but frame and handle bars, ubolting a a piece of plywood above where the crank once was to which we'd bolt a 3hp side shaft Briggs Reel lawnmower motor. 2 go cart wheels and voila. A mini-bike. They were the bomb when we young. I remember not having much money and support of the parents for those sort of endeavors and having to be resourceful.
06' 650 Vstrom
allonsye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:04 AM   #282
wvboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
I've sat here and read all 30 pages of this ride report. Thanks Dave.

Memories are coming back to me that have been lost for a long time.

Thanks again.
wvboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:01 AM   #283
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Just a quick update:

Thanks for coming along folks. I appreciate all your kind remarks.

p.s.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=672374
My world... it is officially rocked.
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:46 PM   #284
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,664
Man, I clicked on the link and almost went directly to subscribe. Then I saw it was an ad

I hope you can work things out without having to sell her Dave. Then again, even if you do I'm sure you'll find another worthy ride
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #285
PrtclMn001
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Howdy James . Offering LoveShack at $2600 makes both of us feel like a little slut . As broke as we are, we still have our standards . It's probably best that noone wants her. To me, she's priceless. Being the patient type , I think I'll pull the ad, and ride her harder...

Hey there - I was in the middle of a conference call (it's still "winter" here, after all and I'm waiting for the new Pilot Road 2's that are apparently on backorder from Oneida Suzuki's online site despite the fact that I only live 12 minutes away from their shop...) and was multi-tasking as I am wont to do. I read your post and my thought processes ground to an abrupt halt; someone had to repeat their question like 4 times before it registered and I was able to regain my composure.

My karate students think I'm unflappable so let's keep this between us, shall we?

Edit: geez, I'm even writing run-on sentences. I need a beer.
PrtclMn001 is offline   Reply With Quote