Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #91
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,351
I would like to know what kind of gas mileage you got from the Wee, and if you felt it lacked any for two up?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:45 PM   #92
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by upweekis View Post
I would like to know what kind of gas mileage you got from the Wee, and if you felt it lacked any for two up?
The worst gas mileage we got on the trip was 37mpg and the best was 51mpg. I think typically we were averaging about 44mpg. I was very impressed with the wee and wouldn't hesitate to do the trip all over again on the same bike (now with 25,000 miles on the odo). Even fully loaded down and 2up, it had plenty of grunt for the Western Interstates (80-85mph), wicked head winds, and steep grades. I never felt like it lacked any power, but I suppose it may depend what you are used to.

jordan
jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:47 PM   #93
Tricky One
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can get her to understand she doesn't NEED everything, at the same time I won't be leaving my thermarest behind Ride safe.
Tricky One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #94
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Fort Nelson, BC to Watson Lake, BC

Day 10 June 9, 2010
Mileage Today: 326
Total Trip Mileage: 3,668

We had stayed in a motel last night in Fort Nelson. We woke very well rested and ready to move. There is a huge down side (for me at least) to staying in a Motel. Since you are leaving your bike in a strange parking lot out of your line of sight, you have to take everything off of it and haul it up to your room. Things that you normally wouldn't worry about taking off, because you are tented right next to your bike. Pair this with our complimentary soggy waffle breakfast, and we would be a little late getting on the road.

The weather was great from the start ,

and we are being totally immersed in wonderful scenery as we re-enter the Northern Rockies.

The animals were out enjoying the weather too.

I have read stories of people going all the way to Alaska and never seeing a bear. We had already spotted about 15 by this point.

Getting near the Stone Mt. Provincial Park Area:

and a stop for some fuel and snacks at Toad River.

Heading on towards Watson Lake. These are some of the typical open grating bridges that you will encounter along the way. Just gotta let the bike meander a bit when you get on this stuff.

And then we came to Muncho Lake. The weather for the most part on this trip so far had been very up and down. We were so lucky to have come across this area when the weather was so spectacular. Warm sun and just enough cloud cover to add some depth to the photos.

We met this guy back a bit at Toad River. He was on a DR650 from Minnesota to Alaska. I figured we would run into him the whole rest of the way up, but never saw him again.

Not too much further down the road, we made a stop at the Liard Hot Springs, where we had lunch,

took a stroll,

and I soaked in the hot springs.

It was absolutely wonderful, and the next couple of hours to Watson Lake were probably the hardest of the whole trip. The sun was out, I was full of food, and had just soaked in the hot springs. It was very difficult to stay awake on this long, lonely road .

The Alaska Highway zigs from BC and zags into The Yukon a couple of times before you are in the Yukon for good. We stopped here for our pic in front of the sign. I am going to let you in on a little behind the scenes action. It always takes several attempts before we get the pic right, or that it is so ridiculous that we are happy with it.

Jump on 3...

Wait, that was too late, try again...

Hmmm..... this is no good. Looks like we are shittin' on the sign. Just jump on my back.

You're too slow, pretend that there is a bear about to get you!

Success!

We really were just having a great time. It is amazing, the amount of impact weather can have on your mood and outlook.

We quickly found camp in Watson Lake.

Fixed up some dinner ,

and checked out our tire. I am doing a great job of squaring it off, but it is holding up well.

This should get us to Fairbanks.

And then into the tent to upload pictures. It is probably 11pm-12am here. The days are really getting longer!

Tomorrow we exit off the Alaska Highway and take The Klondike up towards Dawson City.

jordan

Old 03-29-2011, 08:43 AM   #95
shortfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
This is great,new to this forum .I seen this last nite, stayed up until I was up to date. Woke up this morning just had to see if anything else new was added. Keep it coming, Good job love it.
shortfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 AM   #96
usafe7ret
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 251
Great writing and pics! Nikki looks like she is enjoying herself along with you. I've read ride reports here where the dudes on the trip couldn't get along well enough to continue and here you two are doing fantastic. Can't wait for the next installment.

Thanks!
usafe7ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 09:47 AM   #97
bttran
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
This is very inspiring for future road adventures. Great jobs guys
bttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #98
Operator7G
Adventurer

Oddometer: 56
Those pics of Muncho Lake are amazing! Great RR so far. Looking forward to the rest. I would love to do this some day, but I think a more likely scenario is renting bikes in Vancouver and starting out from there. Too many miles to cover, not enough PTO to cover the time. Keep up the great work!
Operator7G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:35 PM   #99
bash3r
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,682
Great RR

Really enjoying this RR especially as my wife and I will making our first trip 2up on my Versys next month for our 15th wedding anniversary!!

But I'm not sure why you didn't just do this all on your WR250R, it'll go Anywhere!! hahaha!

Be safe, enjoy every second of your trip!

My ADV Website
| ADV Legends |Campground POIs
bash3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 10:45 PM   #100
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
No pix of you two on the water slide? I am heart-broken!
Great report!
More - we want More!
-ceej

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
Dawson Creek, BC to Fort Nelson, BC

Day 9 – June 8, 2010
Mileage today: 482
Total trip mileage: 3,342

[snip]

When we arrived in Ft. Nelson we ate at the A&W where we scouted out our route. Nothing was real near, and this was our 9th day out camping, so we pondered our options. Looking out the window, I noticed a Super 8 motel with a huge sign that said “waterslide”. We needed to look no further.

True luxury! With space to set up the tent and let it dry out.

We just needed to get off the road today. In hindsight, this was a great call. We had more fun than grown (growing) adults should have on a water-slide and it was a great time to recharge our mental batteries.

Tomorrow we push to Watson Lake and have one of the most visually epic days of the trip!

jordan

And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.

1200gsceej screwed with this post 03-29-2011 at 10:51 PM
1200gsceej is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #101
Free Radical
High speed drifter

Oddometer: 1,402
You guys are an inspiration!

Thanks for sharing your trip with us. It's a terrific and enjoyable report.

"A cheeseburger, a tank of gas, and the hell out of here!" -- Graffiti, Men's Room, Fontanelli's Tavern, Norman, OK c 1974
Free Radical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:35 AM   #102
No False Enthusiasm
a quiet adventurer

Oddometer: 4,150
You, sir, are a lucky man.

Thanks for the adventure and the humor.
No False Enthusiasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:47 AM   #103
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,804
Excellent Ride Report

Thanks for all the time you're taking to do this RR right and for taking us along with you. Very enjoyable journey.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 02:06 PM   #104
reddeth
n00b

Oddometer: 6
This is awesome, I can't wait to see more! Also, due solely to your pictures, I'm giving heavy consideration to changing my bike-hunt from another supermoto to a V-Strom (or a Wee-Strom as I believe the smaller ones are referred to around here!)
reddeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #105
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Watson Lake, Yukon to Carmacks, Yukon

Day 11 – June 10, 2010
Mileage Today: 390
Total Trip Mileage: 4,058

We broke down camp and continued on down the Alcan. We were headed for Dawson City, but knew we probably wouldn't make it that far today. Let's get going and see how far we get.

Right on the edge of town we came across the Sign Post Forest.

We wondered around for a bit and pointed out all the ones we found that were from a town in Texas.

Before getting back on the bike we debated putting on the rain gear, due to some ominous looking clouds, but I reckoned it was just some morning low clouds that would burn off .

About 5 mins. later we stopped to put on our rain gear. All this really consists of are some boot and glove covers for Nikki and some industrial dish gloves for me. All of our other gear is "waterproof". It's not really, but the label says it is .

But it was short lived, and the rest of the day turned out to be pretty nice.

We also had our first moose sighting today.

These things are huge. I could only imagine what it would be like to hit one. I guess it happens a lot up there.

I forgot to mention that we met a fellow rider at our campground last night.

His name is Roger, and he was from Texas too! He was riding up on his old BMW R80(i think). Super nice guy. In preparation for his trip he had bought a dehydrator and had made all his own travel food. He gave us some granola bars for the road, and although he was a stranger, he wasn't giving us candy, so we took it.

We took a break at the Nisutlin Bay Bridge viewing area.

I just wanted to lie there in the sun all day.

From there we pushed on into Whitehorse. It was a bit early to stop for the day, so we filled up with some gas, and stopped by the wal-mart for some food for dinner.

We couldn't get out of there fast enough. A couple of miles out of Whitehorse, we take a turn off the Alcan and onto the Klondike Hwy towards Dawson City. The plan is to enter Alaska via the Top of the World Hwy, so we won't be rejoining the Alcan until Tok, AK.

A brief stop along the Klondike.

And then we got to Braeburn Lodge. This was one of THE reason why Nikki wanted to come with on the trip. Ok, maybe not the only reason, but it was pretty high up on her list.

Here is why:

We ate at that thing twice, and still had to throw some away. Note to self: Next time, start in the middle!

We got a recommendation from the owner of a good camp ground on the North edge of Carmacks, so thats where we headed.

Score again! This place was perfect! Right on the Yukon River. Coal Mine Campground.

There was also a bunch of German kids on a canoeing trip of some sort staying at the campground as well. Apparently they do not have the same personal space etiquette as we do around these parts. I think we had set up our tent in the middle of what had become their path to somewhere, and just like dropping a stick in front of a mob of marching ants, they went around the obstruction, but only until they could re-enter their path. There were a lot of German kids tripping over our tent guylines . I am probably just being an uptight American about this.

Anyhow, it was a great Campsite and we rested well that night.

Tomorrow we are headed to Dawson City, maybe try our hand at panning for gold!

jordan

jglow screwed with this post 03-30-2011 at 04:32 PM