Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 04:15 PM   #16
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
The main motivation for me to get an aftermarket exhaust is so I can fit a set of balanced pannier racks, such as those made by Holan and Metal Mule. That stock can is just too fat!
Your not kidding.........

Erling
ebrabaek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
Boy...thanks for the warning. I live in a townhouse community and leave very early as well. We'll see how this goes. Repacking needed already at 2,000 miles, huh?
Few others I ride with noticed it got louder over time as well. Didn't really bother me much, but I could tell the difference. I emailed Beowulf, but never got a response. I soon noticed a few other postings complaining about the same symptoms. As mentioned earlier, I would have kept the exhaust if it wasn't for a few upset neighbors at an HOA meeting.

Wicket009 screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 06:08 PM
Wicket009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:58 AM   #18
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Confused about Beowulf Performance Products, Ltd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicket009 View Post
Few others I ride with noticed it got louder over time as well. Didn't really bother me much, but I could tell the difference. I emailed Beowulf, but never got a response. I soon noticed a few other postings complaining about the same symptoms. As mentioned earlier, I would have kept the exhaust if it wasn't for a few upset neighbors at an HOA meeting.
I am confused about this experience as mine (so far) has been so positive. I feel like I am being set up for a "he'll find out" moment but trust you inmates would give me the straight scoop. I haven't been able to Google very many negative comments and so I am not sure why these silencers aren't more popular. My experience so far...

1. Ordered online last weekend, direct from Beowulf, a powder coated black stainless steel exhaust pipe with removeable baffle for $287.20 (3/15/11 exchange rate including shipping from UK).
2. I was e-mailed Monday about whether my link pipe should have 1 or 2 hooks on it. I answered and they said it would be "dispatched" Tuesday.
3. I received the silencer Thursday!
4. Fit and finish is beautiful - Took me 10 minutes to install.
5. Sounds perfect with the baffle left in. Low tone and no backfiring.
6. The Lifetime Guarantee supplied includes the verbiage "All the internal parts of the silencer are made from stainless steel and are also made in Halifax, West Yorkshire. The external parts of the silencer are made from stainless steel with exception of the sleeves of a carbon fibre can and a titanium can, these are made of carbon fibre and titanium respectively. All additional components, where applicable, supplied with your silencer are also covered by our lifetime guarantee. (Link pipe, clamps, hanger strap, bolts)"

No mention of packing whatsoever.

So to sum it up...a great looking, sounding, lighter, shorter, skinnier exhaust that fits perfectly for less money and recieved in record time.

Why aren't these selling like hot cakes? What am I missing?
Old 03-19-2011, 06:06 AM   #19
Numb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheckerdD View Post
I ain't spent a flipping dime on exhaust. I like the stock exhaust. The sound ain't bad. It does not burn it's way through you luggage. I will save as much in pounds by getting a lithium battery. The increases in power and performance of aftermarket Exhaust exist only in your imagination. I won't ever have to repack it. Go ahead and flame me, truth has it's own reward. Spend your money on something useful. Dave

good the stock can works for you... to me it's an abortion - overly huge given that it sounds like crap (read: got nothing going for it). I haven't replace mine yet but its in the future if I actually keep this bike more than a year

imclamore - i looked at the beowulf pipes, but one reason may be the endcap design they use. personally if I do finally spend money, i prefer the 'new' style endcaps on the LV and akro pipes - that may be partly the reason they aren't more popular (?)

...neighbors.... reason why once I get out of DC finally I'll be looking for acreage - I agree when living close to others you have to take them into account (that whole society-thing) but it sucks....
Numb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #20
lmclamore
Citation Collector

"lmclamore - i looked at the beowulf pipes, but one reason may be the endcap design they use. personally if I do finally spend money, i prefer the 'new' style endcaps on the LV and akro pipes - that may be partly the reason they aren't more popular (?)"

That's funny Numb. The primary reason I found Beowulf was looking for a manufacturer that didn't have an endcap! I guess I'll always be sanding against the grain. You are probably right but aren't these endcaps a fairly new fad?
Old 03-19-2011, 11:16 PM   #21
Chop Chop
Hector erector

Oddometer: 1,596
Love the Beowulf

No probs with my Beowulf, love the sound. I run it without the baffle and havedone about 13k km without noticing an increase in sound. Though initially without the baffle it was a real drone and very annoying, even with plugs. Now the drone has gone, so I guess a little running in was required. Others still comment on how good it sounds. As for repacking, you can't with the model I have. Stainless inner with Ti outer sleeve riveted in place. When in town or leaving home, I don't rev the guts out of it. Changing gears earlier than I would in the sticks. Can't go wrong for the money. Also comes with lifetime warranty.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #22
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
I went for the Leo Vince carbon. Think I got it for 350 or 375. Weight savings is astounding!

Sound - much better. I run mine with the DB killer in. Sounds great. Not too loud & just about right.

Performance change - yes. It's better on the low end. Less snatchy and more controlled. After getting the pipe I also changed to a 15t front sprocket. Did a 15/42 combo. Before the sprocket change I liked it with the DB killer out. Although it was louder with it out it felt more responsive without it. After the conversion I tested it with & w/out. It's better with the DB killer in. The little more back pressure makes it work better in 1st & 2nd. Next time I'll get the 41 for the rear just to add back a little more legs on the freeway.

All and all the LV is a great product & worth every penny in looks & weight difference alone. HP gain? Probably not much. Response improvement - I would say yes I feel a difference. Sound improvement - hell yes. sup
Old 03-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #23
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I am confused about this experience as mine (so far) has been so positive. I feel like I am being set up for a "he'll find out" moment but trust you inmates would give me the straight scoop.
Lmclamore - Glad to hear the Beowulf is working out. Think I just got a lemon. Mine started out as a loud drone as described by OffAgain, but it only got louder and louder. Saw posts by Chi, but his was well after 10K before increasing sound. I wear custom plugs when I ride and couldn't take it after a couple thousand miles. Neither could the neighbors I decided to email Beowulf again and they did finally respond saying "some of their pipes do need to be repacked, but most of them don't." Was going to take advantage of the lifetime warranty, but wasn't excited about the international shipping costs back to the U.K. and I had a buyer who wanted even more noise. The DB killer was out before he go back to his car. Another caveat is I had the stubby and probably should have went with the longer pipe. Few guys I ride with ordered the 450mm and had good results for the past 4,000 - 5,000 miles. Was a beautiful exhaust, cost was right on, and the weight savings was huge. Have to wait until Father's Day and will try the Akropovic next.
Old 03-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #24
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Thanks Wicket009,

Was it your impression that Beowulf will repack under their Lifetime Guarantee? I also bought the "stubby".
Old 03-29-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Wicket009
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks Wicket009,

Was it your impression that Beowulf will repack under their Lifetime Guarantee? I also bought the "stubby".
Not sure if repacking was covered with the warranty. I probably should have followed through and sent it back, but it was easier to start over since I had a buyer waiting to take it on.