User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2011, 02:08 PM   #136
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,623
Floats

It's real simple boys. If the float sinks then fuel should be running out of the over flow tube. No fuel running = no sunk float. A float needle that doesn't seat (crap in the way) will do the same thing.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #137
taco
b00b t00b

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brauhausbier View Post
Thanks Dave! I just ordered new floats and a new fuel screw. Looks like the PO had snapped off the screw head on the fuel screw

This is a 17 y/o carb, so some fresh floats are a good call. The float needle looks good as does all other parts in the OE kehin carb. I picked up a 160 main jet and a 65 pilot jet too for further messing around. WIll have these parts on Thursday! Love that quick shipping from RM ATV

I'm picking up some starting fluid and onto swapping in the Mikuni tonight for Take #3. I need some luck on my side

Intersted in dropping by tonight Dave???
Sure! I can swing by. If it would stop raining I'd ride the 950, although I have the bars off waiting for new bushings, but there is always the 530!
taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #138
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Oddometer: 1,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco View Post
Sure! I can swing by. If it would stop raining I'd ride the 950, although I have the bars off waiting for new bushings, but there is always the 530!

Sweet! I'll be home by 5:30pm. Might want to drive? The rain is looking pretty wet out there
Brauhausbier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #139
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,193
Have you tried turning off the fuel, draining the carb and a shot of starting fluid? You should get it to fire for a second or more on just ether...

Just a thought. Also, pulling behind a car and bump starting will save your kicking leg

Best of luck!!!
Wattner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:47 PM   #140
Luke
GPoET&P

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It's real simple boys. If the float sinks then fuel should be running out of the over flow tube. No fuel running = no sunk float. A float needle that doesn't seat (crap in the way) will do the same thing.
We checked that. With the carb off the bike but hooked up to the tank, the bowl filled but did not overflow. The float looked perfect and the float needle sealed. I didn't think to weigh the float, but it felt about right flopping around on the pivot.

There was gas on the spark plug, but not enough to foul it. At least, it still sparked in open air when wet.

Does anyone know what the height of the throttle slide should be at idle? We tried adjusting the idle speed screw a half turn at a time from closed to way too far open, but troubleshooting would be easier if we had an 'about right' setting to start from.

Also, how hard should the bike be to kick over? It has a hotcam, so there is no auto decomp, but the effort felt in between my xr400 and ktm 640. I didn't use the manual decomp for kicking, just for trying to clear it out. On the 640 when the autodecomp wasn't working I could stand on the lever and it wouldn't move without the manual decomp. I would've guessed that this bike would be the same.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:55 PM   #141
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wattner View Post
Have you tried turning off the fuel, draining the carb and a shot of starting fluid? You should get it to fire for a second or more on just ether...

Just a thought. Also, pulling behind a car and bump starting will save your kicking leg

Best of luck!!!
Thanks Wattner! I'm picking up some starting fluid after work and will try that out tonight. We'll swap in the Mikuni Flatslide and see what happens and add a dash of starter fluid
Old 03-29-2011, 03:56 PM   #142
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
We checked that. With the carb off the bike but hooked up to the tank, the bowl filled but did not overflow. The float looked perfect and the float needle sealed. I didn't think to weigh the float, but it felt about right flopping around on the pivot.

There was gas on the spark plug, but not enough to foul it. At least, it still sparked in open air when wet.

Does anyone know what the height of the throttle slide should be at idle? We tried adjusting the idle speed screw a half turn at a time from closed to way too far open, but troubleshooting would be easier if we had an 'about right' setting to start from.

Also, how hard should the bike be to kick over? It has a hotcam, so there is no auto decomp, but the effort felt in between my xr400 and ktm 640. I didn't use the manual decomp for kicking, just for trying to clear it out. On the 640 when the autodecomp wasn't working I could stand on the lever and it wouldn't move without the manual decomp. I would've guessed that this bike would be the same.
Thanks Luke, I had the same thoughts. Thanks for all the help last night I owe you one!
Old 03-29-2011, 03:58 PM   #143
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
my bike

kick down till you feel it stop. Then use decomp to go just a hair past (just a hair) that and let it up and kick it. This procedure works on my 6 all day long
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM   #144
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post

The slide should just slightly be up. I was going to suggest you check the idle adjuster. I couldn't start one of mine after a rebuild, finally got it lit and it was set to idle at like 4k rpm.

As far as effort to kick it, it should be the same as the 640 although it may have less resistance if the rings are dry. You could squirt some oil down the plug hole and see if it makes a difference, although it shouldn't really affect starting
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #145
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

The old, sure fire XR drill.... Hold in compression release, kick motor through five times with ZERO throttle. One swift kick with compression release in and FULL throttle...

let compression release off, bring to TDC (Top Dead Center.... the hardest part of the stroke), then release the kickstarter back up and give it a full kick through, no compression release. This works almost 100% of the time, if the carb is adjusted correctly. This clears out a flooded motor

Try the drill a few times and if this does not get the bike to fire, there is likely another issue
Old 03-29-2011, 06:30 PM   #146
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,671
Hotcam = no compression release, guys...

BHB, you'll be doing some kicking... put the tires in the gutter with the curb on the left so your left foot is up a bit, gives you a bit of height advantage while kicking.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #147
Wattner
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post
Hotcam = no compression release, guys...

BHB, you'll be doing some kicking... put the tires in the gutter with the curb on the left so your left foot is up a bit, gives you a bit of height advantage while kicking.
DOH.... The drill will work, just slow going to not jamb your leg.... 5 kicks NO gas, one with FULL throttle, find TDC and give it a man kick! Watch out for the kickback, it can be a cast affair! DAMHIK
Old 03-29-2011, 11:08 PM   #148
Brauhausbier OP
Focused

Round 3/ Still unable to start the XR

I got home after work and cleaned out the Mikuni and swapped that in.

My buddy Dave came over who has had an XR400 to help me trouble shoot and see if we could start it.

--- Gas was on and in the carb - confirmed

- choke on

- confirmed spark on outside of motor

- tried kicking on compression for a while, no pops, spurts or sputters

- injected starter fluid down the airbox - nothing

- injected starter fluid directly down the spark plug hole - nothing

- injected gas down the spark plug hole - nothing

Seems that we have spark outside the cylinder, but maybe not in the cylinder? I could not believe that nothing could be ignited? I'm mystified.

We even tried bump starting. The motor definitely went though a few cycles - nothing.

I'm running out of ideas. Might start calling around for a shop that might have time to check out my bike. I was so hoping I could bring life back to this bike, and more mystified than ever of what could be the smoking gun?

Anyone have any further ideas? Thanks
Old 03-29-2011, 11:15 PM   #149
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,545
Old 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM   #150
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
Worth a look

dont want to sound like a DICK here but did you double check as you were cranking around with the sight cover off to get to top dead center that you were on the respective valves you were adjusting ? If they are too tight the bike will have everything but will be releasing compression on the wrong stroke through the exhaust valves. Try setting your exhaust valves loose and try and start it.
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote