Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Ronan gets his first taste of dirt . . .

and he liked it! It was 40F when I was riding, but sunny, which helps. Here's a pic from Daniels Park south of the Denver Metro area:

Daniels Park is dirt without too much gravel on it, so it was a good way to break me in. I grew up riding motocross and enduro tracks, so it felt natural.

All of a sudden, Ronan came to a sliding stop, dead center of the road - nearly launching me over the handlebars!

He sniffed, raised up his tail end a bit, and pointed. I had to squint to see what he noticed in the distance . . . . . . . . TATONKA!

I was getting a bit famished, so I figured I'd ride to Sedalia for Bud's Bar. They've great burgers, but you never know if they'll be open. It's not unusual for a "Gone Fishin'" sign to be hanging on the door.

If you go, bring cash. CCs aren't accepted. They were open . . . and packed! Not even a bar stool could be commandeered. I didn't care to wait around, so I rode home and made this instead:

Still craving a burger for some reason!
theofam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #17
dobie42
n00b

Oddometer: 1
colorado in the house!

Hey Sean and Gary,

Those pics look pretty familiar - I'm up in Evergreen (across the Parkway from Safeway) and ride a DL1000.

In summer I commute the canyon through Morrison on my way into Denver - one of the best commutes I've ever had!

jesse
dobie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dobie42, you're a fortunate man to have that road as your commute. Men have killed for less!

I'd like to PM you and Gary this Spring and have you guys show me your secret roads up there!

Take care, Sean
Old 01-30-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
N9921X
Wins

Oddometer: 144
No problem!
Just shout and if the snow's off my driveway, I am ready to go.
You're right. Plenty of roads here. Even have friends ride all the way from Idaho to try them out. (Of course, I pay them back when headed to the PNW.)
N9921X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:40 PM   #20
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Cool, I rode 200 miles today, down to Palmer lake, out to (all dirt) Elbert, Parker, Sedalia twice, Larkspur, up Daken road to where its closed for the winter... Just a little to cold in leathers only to ride more!

Hope the snow doesn't stick around long tommorrow.

Good looking bike by the way. We considered the GSA

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal

Ramv screwed with this post 01-30-2011 at 08:49 PM
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #21
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Ramv,

Nice choice on the Multistrada. Sounds like you're doing a great job breaking it in! This snow'll leave once we get out of the negative and single digits later this week.

Any of you from Minnesota on north will roll your eyes at this, but my kids' schools have been closed the last two days due to the weather being too cold for them to walk to school/wait for the bus. Seems our bodies are ill prepared for morning wind chills of -25!

I just got my skidplates and fatfoot from Twin Headlight Ernie and also took delivery of some Kenda Big Blocks. So, I need to get all that stuff mounted this week on Ronan - always something to do!

Ronan also got his 12K service done Saturday - holy smokes, I need to learn how to do all that work to avoid any more $600 shop charges!
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 PM   #22
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I am definitely up for some riding once we hit above freezing.

One of my customer's entire office was closed yesterday. I actually walked 1/2 mile to see them (and 1/2 mile back). Guess we just aren't as tough as we thought.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #23
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

A sad day

It's with mixed emotions that I write this, for today I sold my HD Fat Boy of 12 years.

So what, you say? My dad and I bought Harleys the together January 3, 1999, and have enjoyed many trips resulting in great memories. My heart sank a I watched the new owner ride away, no knowledge of just where the clutch engaged. As he dragged his feet up my street and stabbed at the brakes near the stop sign, I felt a void - like a chapter of my life closing.

I immediately decided the best therapy was a ride on Ronan! And, still craving a burger, off to Palmer Lake I headed to O'Malley's. On the way, guess what I saw? Wait for it . . .

No, not Tatonka . . .

I named him "Chewy" (sounded just like Chewbaca).

And, like most of us, he doesn't get much free time before he gets checked on:

I promised him I'd come with carrots next time.

This curve is one of the reasons I moved on from the Fat Boy with non-existent lean angle. I was this corner 10+years ago when a local liquor store owner pal learned oncoming horse trailers taste like !&@$ and end things quickly.

Now, time for that burger!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #24
Colorado CJ
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 892
Welcome! You can't beat Colorado for both on and off road riding. Might see you some day while I'm out riding one of mine.

'09 DL650
'06 DR650
Colorado CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #25
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Colorado CJ, I hope to see you out and about! Looks like you've a bevy of options when it comes to riding!
Old 04-02-2011, 04:48 PM   #26
theofam OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Denver is 75F+!

I found a partner in crime today . . . my daughter! Kinda cute in Mom's leathers:

She said, "Dad, take me to the. . ." wait for it . . . "tatonka!"

She had a blast taking a few photos:

I'm a big fan of Darth Peach's photos, so I tried to find some unusual angles. I've clearly some learnin' to do! Plus, if iPhones have a macro setting, I've yet to find it!

My daughter spotted the downtown skyline, so she wanted a pic of it in the background:

We stopped in Sedalia to stretch our legs. She's a stickler for rules:

So we bought these to refresh ourselves:

I'm rebuilding a couple old Hondas, so I was psyched to talk with this guy when he pulled up next to Ronan! It's a '79 CB750 his dad bought years ago. Super cool ride in very nice shape and all original. He said to make sure to tell everyone he knows about the seat! He apologized for it on several occasions and is trying to find a stock seat:

One last photo of some creative metal work at the local welding shop, and we were on our way for a 50 mile loop before returning home:

Overall, I'd give it an A+. My daughter had a great time snapping photos and she got to see tatonka, horses, cattle and donkeys. I knew it had been a good afternoon when I felt her helmet settle between my shoulder blades on the leg home. Night, night, princess.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:19 AM   #27
Skratchy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hey, those buffalo photos are taking about a 2 "blocks" from my house :-)
Skratchy is offline   Reply With Quote