User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
veriest1 OP
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,201
Baby Steps on the DRZ

Hi all! I figured I'd share the little trip I took today as a way to sort of repay you guys for the great RR, tips, and tricks you've all shared on this site. I wish I had more pictures to share because there's some really pretty country out here but, for some reason, operating an iPhone with gloves on is a bit of a hassle.

This adventure actually started about 3 weeks ago when I told my wife I was just going to go into the Suzuki dealership to have a little lust over a DRZ since I'd been periodically hunting for a nice used one for a few years. As luck would have it they had a nice used one there that needed a battery and I took it home the day the battery arrived for it – finally I had my very own Blueberry (Mobius reference!).

The plan was to ride it back to where we live in East Texas that weekend but the moto-gods seemed to have other plans and the battery developed a bad cell in it after about 80 miles. The dealer took care of it though and after a few days I had another battery waiting at my dad's place but it wouldn't even hold a charge when new. That was 2 Bike Master batteries in 2 weeks.... is that a record? Not wanting to make another trip up just for the bike I put in a call to Eddie at Sisneros Speed Works. Two days later his super start kit is on the bike and it's purring like a kitten. Off we go!

But there was one more problem - did I mention someone had overtorqued the seat bolts? Here's my dad tapping them for helicoils.

Finished

Finally time to leave for the longest ride I've ever done – the 240 miles home. Like I said, baby steps. I did detour (or try to detour) through the State Forest though.

I saw plenty of squids... including a young man in shorts and sandals on a 'busa in Corsicanna. That looked scary.

Here's a shot from a rural gas station between Corsicana and Palastine. Mmmm... beef.

I always thought this was a tombstone... fortunately no one is THAT tacky. Complete with concrete lightning bolt too!

Fortunately for all those who've gone before us it's just a piece of art... in the middle of a cemetary.

This looks better!

This would have been a nice place to stop for a late lunch if I'd had such a thing with me. I'd forgotten fuel for my stove so the cup of Joe I was planning on having was out of the picture too.

A few miles later I found this.

So I consulted the GPS and headed to another section of the forest where I found this blocking my path courtesy of the Hope “Mountain” Hunting Club... the topo map didn't say anything about them.

I still got to ride down this nice little path but the area behind the gate looked really promising on the map.

At this point I was running out of daylight, getting tired, and stuck with taking the highway the rest of the way home. Despite that is still a fun trip and a good learning experience. I'm already pumped about the trip to New Mexico I have planned for late May!
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:01 AM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,316
Welcome aboard,
Good to have some talented techs at home,...dad.

Glad you got the battery issue cleared up.

In NM you might want to check out the area around T or C, right off I-25.
Many RR have been done about the different trails.

Good luck.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:47 AM   #3
Gramp-Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 774
Welcome to the nut house . Good choice on a bike , almost bought one . Bought a WeeStrom instead ( much more road miles for me ) . Have fun and be safe . If you have any more charging problems , check out the stator (you already knew that ) . Does Dad ride ? Hope so . Be looking out for your next ride report .
Old Man plays with his Wee
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608068
Gramp-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:46 AM   #4
veriest1 OP
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramp-Z View Post
Welcome to the nut house . Good choice on a bike , almost bought one . Bought a WeeStrom instead ( much more road miles for me ) .
Thanks for the welcome. It feels good to be back on a bike after my hiatus but getting married was worth it.

Sadly I'll probably put more road than dirt miles on this bike by a fair amount. I just refused to give up the dirt handling for the better cruising.

Quote:
Does Dad ride ? Hope so . Be looking out for your next ride report .
No he doesn't... yet. He's talking about taking the msf course after seeing the drz though! But as you can see above he is fond of stepping in and taking over.
Old 04-03-2011, 03:27 PM   #5
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 317
Thanks for sharing and welcome. I've been here for the better part of a year and have yet to give a ride report. Not much to see here in Colorado, I guess. Keep up the good work, Kelly.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #6
veriest1 OP
Grand NOOBlet

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
Thanks for sharing and welcome. I've been here for the better part of a year and have yet to give a ride report. Not much to see here in Colorado, I guess. Keep up the good work, Kelly.
Nope nothing to see up there....

Actually I've beento CO twice and can't wait to get back. I try to share what's around here though because there's not much information on the net about the forests in this part of the country.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 298
Any questions you have about your new bike you can find all the answers here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25 Just ask for Eddie or William1
Old 04-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #8
veriest1 OP
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Any questions you have about your new bike you can find all the answers here. http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25 Just ask for Eddie or William1
Thanks, I've been lurking that forum for a few years now. The amazing knowledge and support is part of what sold me on the drz. The rest of it was just how dead sexy it is.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
veriest1 OP
Grand NOOBlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasgraham View Post
Great forum I've been lurking it for a few years. Eddie IS the bomb and his service is second to none!

The knowledge and support of that forum is half of what sold me on the DRZ. The other half is just how dead sexy it is.