Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #46936
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by nii View Post
same with mine, bone stock, 130-131miles to reserve on the trailwings
My DR's engine, gearing and gas tank are stock and I run Trailwings. I ride 60% street, 40% dirt. My riding style is moderate, I like to go asphalt dancing in the twisties and I enjoy spinning the rear tire in the dirt, but I don't spend a lot of time over 60 mph. I usually go on reserve at 142, which works out to 58 mpg. My mpg range in my 5 years of ownership has been a low of 48 (100% dirt) to a high of 69 (100% street and actually tried to get good gas mileage on that tank).
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."

soboy screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 04:36 AM
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:14 AM   #46937
bkoz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paloma Paul View Post
Thanks for the links but I have had poor luck with the cheap clutch perches. I was hoping to avoid the seperate mirror mount, real estate on the bars is tight as it is.

bkoz screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 05:51 AM
bkoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #46938
Arc 21
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xracer View Post
I forgot to mention that I always run 93 octane Sunoco, which I know is a waste of money in the agricultural mill that is the DR650 engine, but I spend a lot of time in traffic and it gets header-glowing hot. I sleep better knowing it's less likely to ping with the good stuff and at 55mpg, it's not going to break the bank. I also run my tires at 32psi on the rear and 30 psi on the front. I think the DR is one of those bikes that actually gets better mileage around town than on the highway.

Sounds to me like you need to richen the mixture if the header is getting cherry red you are also probably running the risk of holeing a piston or seizing the motor.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:20 AM   #46939
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,878
SHINKO 705's

Just a quick bit of useless information for those that care. I just finished my first set of Shinko 705's. I put a little over 6,000 miles on the set. The rear is toast, and the front is still in pretty good shape. I just ordered a replacement set, and I am changing the front as well just because for $40 it wasn't worth waiting another couple thousand miles. I run them about 5 psi more than what is stated on the swing arm for 2 up riding on pavement. They did great for the price. I am hooked.

Fortunately for me I have a second set of rims that I run my knobs on for when things get messy. But on the road and light DS riding you really can't beat these tires!

YMMV!

"I go where the voices in my head tell me to!"

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Grizz Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:21 AM   #46940
procycle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc 21 View Post
Sounds to me like you need to richen the mixture if the header is getting cherry red you are also probably running the risk of holeing a piston or seizing the motor.
No, a glowing head pipe in stopped traffic is totally normal on the DR650. The pipe is single wall construction unlike most other road going motorcycles that have double wall pipes (that won't glow under normal conditions).
TurboDiesel Corvette - go to the end to start at the beginning
procycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #46941
jungleplant
Motorcyle Stuff

Oddometer: 1,842
TieDowns for the Dr650

Hi all you Great guys We are starting to make TieDowns for the Suzuki DR650 and i need to ask if anybody is willing to take some measurements and test a few sets, what i need is the lower front triple tree bolt deminsions, and to see if your year model has a flat surface , i checked with bikebandit from 1990 to 2004 and they all appear to be flat , here is a picture of one on a xr650L If your interested send me a PM with your year of bike and the deminsions , and mailing address and when i get them done I will send you a set for free , for helping ok, ,mike
jungleplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 AM   #46942
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh_TN View Post
Just a quick bit of useless information for those that care. I just finished my first set of Shinko 705's. I put a little over 6,000 miles on the set. The rear is toast, and the front is still in pretty good shape. I just ordered a replacement set, and I am changing the front as well just because for $40 it wasn't worth waiting another couple thousand miles. I run them about 5 psi more than what is stated on the swing arm for 2 up riding on pavement. They did great for the price. I am hooked.

Fortunately for me I have a second set of rims that I run my knobs on for when things get messy. But on the road and light DS riding you really can't beat these tires!

YMMV!
Good info. I am considering a set of these. How do they compare on and off road to the OEM Trailwings? Did you run 5 psi over two-up pressure off road? I find the Trailwings are excellent on the street and ok on the dirt as long as I keep the tire pressures at no higher than 25F, 29R. I usually run 22F, 25R. Have not been able to get more than 2300 miles from a rear tire, though. Fronts last double that.
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 AM   #46943
ag_streak
Tiene Ruta Cuarenta?

Oddometer: 3,141
Oil Leak

Gang,

After a ride, my 2007 with 4,400 miles is showing some oil on the cooling fins on the front of the engine, near the oil cooler, just above the base gasket. It doesn't seem to leak while sitting, just riding, so the wind may be blowing the oil forward towards the front.

I checked all the usual suspects and can't find a source. Base, head, valve cover, and valve inspection plate gaskets all look dry. Oil lines, oil cooler, cam chain adjuster cover, and oil cap all check out OK.

Is the crankcase breather tube supposed to go into the bottom front of the airbox? Mine goes up under the tank, and the nipple on the bottom front of the airbox is capped off. May have been done by the previous owner. I was thinking if the crankcase was slightly overfilled, it might have been blowing excess through the tube. (oil level was at the top line in the sightglass.)

Any other ideas?

TIA...

Streak

Improve your cosmic karma here!
ag_streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #46944
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleplant View Post
Hi all you Great guys We are starting to make TieDowns for the Suzuki DR650 and i need to ask if anybody is willing to take some measurements and test a few sets, what i need is the lower front triple tree bolt deminsions, and to see if your year model has a flat surface , i checked with bikebandit from 1990 to 2004 and they all appear to be flat , here is a picture of one on a xr650L If your interested send me a PM with your year of bike and the deminsions , and mailing address and when i get them done I will send you a set for free , for helping ok, ,mike
PM sent

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 04-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #46945
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Good info. I am considering a set of these. How do they compare on and off road to the OEM Trailwings? Did you run 5 psi over two-up pressure off road? I find the Trailwings are excellent on the street and ok on the dirt as long as I keep the tire pressures at no higher than 25F, 29R. I usually run 22F, 25R. Have not been able to get more than 2300 miles from a rear tire, though. Fronts last double that.
Way better than TW's both on and offroad. I run about 18-22 psi offroad. On gravel I don't bother airing down if I know that I am not going for a long long DS ride. I got about 3,000 out of my rear TW.

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 04-04-2011, 08:26 AM   #46946
Rumlover
Ed

Oddometer: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag_streak View Post
Gang,

After a ride, my 2007 with 4,400 miles is showing some oil on the cooling fins on the front of the engine, near the oil cooler, just above the base gasket. It doesn't seem to leak while sitting, just riding, so the wind may be blowing the oil forward towards the front.

I checked all the usual suspects and can't find a source. Base, head, valve cover, and valve inspection plate gaskets all look dry. Oil lines, oil cooler, cam chain adjuster cover, and oil cap all check out OK.

Is the crankcase breather tube supposed to go into the bottom front of the airbox? Mine goes up under the tank, and the nipple on the bottom front of the airbox is capped off. May have been done by the previous owner. I was thinking if the crankcase was slightly overfilled, it might have been blowing excess through the tube. (oil level was at the top line in the sightglass.)

Any other ideas?

TIA...

Streak
On my 07 it goes up under the tank and then heads back to the air box. There is a plastic coupler under the tank for the second hose that goes to the airbox. I believe the added height is to prevent the small amount of oil that could enter the hose to flow back to the crankcase rather then to be pushed to the airbox. So if yours just terminates under the tank I would not be surprised to see some oil/misting come out from there.

Edit: the breather hose enters the airbox up a few inches from the bottom on the right side. There is a removable cap at the very bottom on the left side to what I would call an airbox drain.
See 7-17 in the manual.

Rumlover screwed with this post 04-04-2011 at 08:36 AM
Rumlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:43 AM   #46947
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Way better than TW's both on and offroad. I run about 18-22 psi offroad. On gravel I don't bother airing down if I know that I am not going for a long long DS ride. I got about 3,000 out of my rear TW.
Thanks, this is important and helpful info. So you doubled your rear tire mileage compared to a TW - impressive. Did you have any issues or problems with the Shinkos? The Beast section seems to be littered with tread separation problems on the Shinkos. If I could get 4000 miles on a rear Shinko I would be quite happy.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #46948
Grizz Adams
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks, this is important and helpful info. So you doubled your rear tire mileage compared to a TW - impressive. Did you have any issues or problems with the Shinkos? The Beast section seems to be littered with tread separation problems on the Shinkos. If I could get 4000 miles on a rear Shinko I would be quite happy.
I can't speak for others, but I had no separation issues. I ran them on rough rural backroads(where I live), highways, gravel, and dirt. It has taken highway rides loaded in hot weather for hundreds of miles. And gravel jaunts for hundreds of miles.

I can tell you that I did not even know about those tires until one of our fellow DR inmates turned me on to them. Thanks "Smilin Jack"! He does a lot of the same style riding that I do. I'm sure there aren't too many of us that use a DR as a hunting vehicle.

KTM 990 ADV- "Annika"
08 DR650 for sale
2006 ZG1000-for sale
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM   #46949
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:

YMMV!
Plus One! ++++ Hard to beat the Shinko 705 for mostly on road. They are even OK for light fire road duty. My front went to about 7000 miles before some cupping showed up. In a pinch, could have gone further ... but for the price ?? why worry. Get 'em while the prices are still reasonable. (they've already gone up once).
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 10:14 AM   #46950
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
There have been reports of separation of the 705. But this is mostly on Vstroms and BMW's ... both 150 lbs. heavier than an average DR650. Makes a big difference. I know several guys returned the tires and got either credit or new ones. So I'm thinking by now Shinko (formerly Yokohama) are aware of the problem.

Haven't heard of separation of these tires on DR650's or other light weight dual sports. I only got about 5000 miles on my rear 705, but that's 2000 more than a Trail Wing. The T-Wings are great tires (I like the front) but just don't last doing high speed pavement. Slow down below 50 mph and they last much better. Front T-Wing will go to 8000 miles.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote