Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 AM   #1
(none) OP
poser

Oddometer: 2,602
1874 miles, 5 days, 8 states and 1 front tire to see a little girl...

who cried as soon as she saw me.

Bit of background. I'm 26, in college (about to graduate in June ), my father passed away in February after a year long battle with cancer. My brother, his wife and their 6 month old little girl live in Virgina. I've only seen my niece once and have never been to their house, and i was off for spring break. Trip time.

My first time holding her. Lasted for about 20 seconds before she looked up at me, stuck out that lower lip and starting crying...can't blame her

So, let's get it started. here is the route i planned out, lots of fun between the borings:

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I slabbed it down 75 to Tellico Plains, TN, camped for the night. Then the cherohala skyway east to Deal's Gap. from there going east a bit more to Cherokee, NC, the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, taking that north into Virginia where i'd slab it over to Stafford, VA to my brother's house for some family time, then finally slab it back home. Sounds fun, right?

My noble steed for the trip was my much loved '01 R1150GS, also known as the "poser bike". I bought her last july with around 10,600 miles on her, the begining mileage for the trip is below.

beginning mileage

As you can see, she is quite loaded. I was planning on camping 3-4 nights until reaching my brother's place to save money (as well as for the experience), and even though it was 70F when i left, i (thankfully) took all my winter gear with me as i figured it was going to get cold in the mountains. If i'd only known...

Day 1 is next.
LC80
JK Rubi
(none) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:07 AM   #2
gremor
RS'er

Oddometer: 939
Bring it on.

But I've matured. Now I'd make sure I was drunk before I tried to fuck a snake"..........Bueller
gremor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #3
(none) OP
poser

Day 1:

Started out boring enough, planned for about 5 hours on the highway. At least the weather was nice out. I live 5 minutes from Kentucky, so i didn't bother to get that state sign, so the first stop was

Next stop, Hunt's Lodge Campgrounds in Tellico Plains. I rolled up, nice looking place, but completely empty. It is mid march after all and they had just opened for the season. No one was there, not even the owners. I called the number on the door, a nice lady answered and let me know she was in Ohio , but go ahead and camp, her husband would be by in the morning to collect the money. No problem, i set up shop.

Problem was, it was only 4:30 by this point. I had no one to talk to, nothing to do, so i went to find some food and go exploring. After getting a burger at a local place down by the river, i hit some backroads and find

Falls? Like a waterfall? Cool. Too bad the trail ended, and i didn't find any waterfall

No problem, i took the trail to the left. Found some water crossings

And then i came across a slightly deeper one, but with a campsite next to it...

Now, this campsite is about 5 miles off the main road, whereas my campsite was within a drunken stumble of the same main road. I figured "if i am going to camp alone, i want to camp alone out in the middle of the woods". Sounds fun, right? Sun was setting, so i rushed back to break down and move camp for the night

Of course, about the time finished rushing and getting the bike re-loaded, she decides to get tired...

Camp relocated and set up

Supplies have been rounded up:

Life is good:

Day 2 is next.
LC80
JK Rubi
Old 03-28-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,232
I like that second campsite better too!!
Old 03-28-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
Doc279
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I have camped in that same spot - nice find!!!!!
Doc279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #6
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 811
Nice trip! Waiting for more.

Corporate Downsized - Screw it, I'm doing the TranLab

Wife and kids left, I'm going to WV
littlelionmonster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 10:12 AM   #7
(none) OP
poser

Day 3, the fun begins.

Woke up to it being surprisingly warm and pleasantly quiet, ready to hit some roads.

A picture from inside the tent

The camp

I put everything away, geared up and rode the few miles down to Tellico Plains, refueled and grabbed some snacks i'd eat for breakfast later on.

Didn't really take many pics on the Skyway, i was too busy enjoying the completely empty road and the beautiful morning. I only had to pass one car, a Mercedes SLK and i got to pass him twice. Once early on, then i stopped at one of the overlooks to eat breakfast and he passed me, so i got to pass him again about 15 minutes later. He saw me coming up behind him, waved and moved over for me. Gotta love nice drivers.

My view for breakfast

...aaand i hit North Carolina of course

This was only my second time on the Skyway, last time i ran it the other way while on my FZ6. Such a great road.

Next up, Deal's Gap. I've ran this road on 2 other occasions (once on one of my VFRs, once on the FZ6 in the rain). Like the Skyway, it was completely dead . First time i caught up to and passed a guy on a GSX-R riding with a guy with a SV (650 i think), they were from West Virginia. While i had to stop and wait for a road crew, they caught back up, i could hear them asking where the hell i came from when i passed them (to be fair, i did signal my pass and gave plenty of room). Some people don't know these big pigs can dance pretty damned well .

had to be done

some shots

and of course, douching it up...

The carnage from the skyway and deal's gap:

Chicken wha?

After turning 180 and heading back into NC, i pointed east towards Cherokee, NC, the southern end of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I'd never ridden on the parkway before, so i was quite excited about this part of the trip

And, like the roads before, the BRP was completely dead . Speed limits were posted at 45mph mostly with some 35mph areas, i was able to cruise at 55-60mph most of the time without a problem. Passed a few rangers, i just waved and they didn't bat an eye.

One cool thing i saw that i hadn't seen mentioned before was that there are gravel roads that seem to follow and then occasionally cross the BRP at times. I took a few just for fun and a change of pace.

Pic on one of the trails, on top of one of the tunnels

Awesome scenery around here:

Hit the highest point of the BRP, a little cool and windy up here

GPS proof

Such a beautiful part of the country

Coming down, i stopped to see this

Along the day i stopped to see about where i should camp out for the night. I was disappointing when i was told that campgrounds in NC weren't going to be opening for another week or so . So i did the next best thing, found a Days Inn...

i probably could have found some off the map place to camp, but the truth is i was tired and i really just wanted a warm bed to sleep in.

Day 3 next...
LC80
JK Rubi
Old 03-30-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
tcourdin
Resident Spooner

Oddometer: 10,496
Very cool! The streams look beautiful there.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:28 PM   #9
The Full Monty
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97

Right there with you

KLR650 '09
The Full Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:25 AM   #10
Asphalt Assault
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Subscribed!
Asphalt Assault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:40 AM   #11
shortfoot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Good post ,love the bike. She's a keeper.
shortfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
kodiakman
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Great pics of your trip. Thanks for sharing them with everyone.
kodiakman is offline   Reply With Quote