Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #46
douglasgraham
This is my car

Oddometer: 298
I think ObiJohn had a good thoughtful response and I have a 6 year old daughter so Im there. She has asked and I dont think she is ready. Each kid is different go with your gut and use your judgment of your children. My dad gave me a ride on the back of his bike when I was 4 or 5, I had a minibike when I was 6 and I was winning AMA flattrack races at age 14 against adults. Everybody is different.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:57 AM   #47
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,627
Its amazing. Folk who are aghast at the thought of children aboard a motorcycle may have no problem with letting a 6-12y.o. girl ride a horse.

Statically for the time involved, horse riding presents a risk TWENTY-times greater than does motorcycle riding.

The Dangers of Hog & Horse Accidents
Old 04-06-2011, 05:25 AM   #48
Snapper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,466
My kids.... no way. I won't even take a passenger anymore.

Deer infestation around here has made it a lottery to ride. I've hit 3 on a bike and 3 more in cars they represent 90% of my close calls with either. My favorite time of year to ride is Nov - April, with the foliage down you stand half a chance at seeing the dumb forest kamikazes coming.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #49
ride everything
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilNinjaDog View Post
If you do a search for kids/pillion/children/passenger type tags you'll get a lot of hits on this subject.

Naturally this is a biased place but most of us agree no kids on the bike until their feet can reach the passenger foot pegs and fully gear up the little tykes.
Agree, and up to this point, I've taken my kids (7 and 6) on quite a few rides. It was my dad's wing, which has since been sold, so now I'm back in the market. I'm thinking about getting another 1150GS, but I can't recall if they'd be able to reach the pegs. Anyone know of a good bike that has a shorter reach to the pegs for pillions of this size?
ride everything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #50
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by ride everything View Post
Agree, and up to this point, I've taken my kids (7 and 6) on quite a few rides. It was my dad's wing, which has since been sold, so now I'm back in the market. I'm thinking about getting another 1150GS, but I can't recall if they'd be able to reach the pegs. Anyone know of a good bike that has a shorter reach to the pegs for pillions of this size?
Pegs are easy to modify. Buy the bike you want and make it work.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:58 AM   #51
Rufjeep
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 385
My daughter (now seven) and I have spent alot of great days putting through forest service roads. I think we started doing that when she was four. I had an XR650R, and I would let her sit between my legs and hold the bars. We would just idle along; every once in a while I would gun it a little and she would giggle away, always saying "Go fast, Daddy! Go fast!".

Being a dad is awesome.
Rufjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 08:19 PM   #52
Iwantabikesobad
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,038

Took my daughter (6 yrs old) to gymnastics class yesterday evening. After class she wanted to go for a ride. We rode to the park along the river about 10 miles away. On the way back I could feel her helmet visor touching my back repeatedly and then it felt like she turned her head and crouched down. I tapped her leg and yelled to her. I thought she said she was cold and we were only a mile from home so I kept going. At the light she said she was FOUFH:SDUHF:KSJDFH or something like that. Its hard to hear with the bike and both us wearing full face helmets. I turned the corner and at one block from home I felt her go limp. I tapped the brakes and I felt her straighten up. Her grip on my jacket stayed good but It happened so fast If I would have been cornering it may have gone bad fast.
Next stop is intercom store. Need to keep better tabs. We have ridden farther before but she wasnt tired from class.
Be very aware of this, I sure am now.
09 KTM Adv. The Orange ones are faster!
Iwantabikesobad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 AM   #53
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
i take my gf on the back of my bike and she seems to be ok and i got her in all the gear and told her keep her body in line with mine so i can lean the bike over with out any problems when i go in to corner .

plus i dont have a car so i will all ways take my gf on the bike rain or shine.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #54
aaronrkelly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
Personal choice for sure. Ive made mine....I have no problems with my kids on my bike. Rain or shine.....around the block or on a week long trip.

Maybe its the fact I live in a farm community where everyones kids ride dirt bikes and atvs.....maybe its "little town" syndrome.....but I never get any flak about it. In fact I get alot of smiling and waving.

My kids were "riders" long before I was. They had ATVs and dirt bikes 2 years before I owned a motorcycle (or my own ATV for that matter).

They ride almost daily in the yard. Im not a HUGE stickler on safety gear in the yard. Yes I know you CAN be killed hitting the ground at a mere 10mph in the soft grass of a yard. Its all about acceptable risk. My sons on a larger ATV (10 year old riding a Honda TRX250) so I require he wear a helmet even when moving it around. Its heavier....its faster. When he rides his TTR90 if he forgets his helmet I dont make a big deal about it. My daughter (5 years old) moved up from her Kazuma 50 (pink ATV in the pictures) to a Suzuki LT80. Shes getting the same treatment.....she MUST wear a helmet when riding it. For a 5 year old its a faster, bigger machine.

When we ride anywhere but on flat level ground in our yard - helmet use is required - no matter what the machine. In the yard.....on the smaller machines that arent capable of faster speeds - Im not that concerned.

My kids dont wear helmets when riding bicycles.

They absolutely, positively wear helmets when riding on the street with me now. Before, I made an exception for my daughter. She was small enough that even the smallest helmet was very large and heavy for her. She had trouble holding it up. I was MORE concerned she would break her neck wearing the helmet then I was of injuring her in an accident. So she did not wear a helmet. Now that she older....helmet all the time.

a quick run to the Black Hills
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...8#post14248448
aaronrkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #55
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
good to see your kids on your bike but not a good thing to see then in no gear on the back of ur gold wing.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 11:27 AM   #56
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,578
Personally I don't ride with my kid on the back nor will I ever...

My reasons....motorcycling is a risk that I take on for myself, I am not prepared to take that risk for my daughter, as a minor she does not have the ability to make those types of life choices. I would not be able to live with myself if I had an accident with her on the bike and she was seriously injured or killed.

So if you ride with a child ask yourself if your prepared to be responsible for both lives....
Offcamber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #57
Street R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
I've road on the back of my father's many motorcycles for as long as I can remember. It's the reason why I have a passion for motorcycles today.

Was it risky? Yes, of course. But I think we (as a society) has grown way too paranoid about the dangers in life. Enjoy life, don't fear it.
Street R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #58
ride4321
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offcamber View Post
Personally I don't ride with my kid on the back nor will I ever...

My reasons....motorcycling is a risk that I take on for myself, I am not prepared to take that risk for my daughter, as a minor she does not have the ability to make those types of life choices. I would not be able to live with myself if I had an accident with her on the bike and she was seriously injured or killed.

So if you ride with a child ask yourself if your prepared to be responsible for both lives....
My thoughts exactly. Well, that and my ex would raise my child support if she ever found out about it.

Don't you know there ain't no devil, it's just God when he's drunk.
Tom Waits
ride4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #59
McHaven
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 130
My dad had me on the back from a young age. I always wore a full face, gloves, jeans. Can't remember if I had a real jacket or boots. I must have been 7 when we started, I think.

I had problems with getting too comfy. The bike was something we rode all the time, so it wasn't exciting after awhile. I wound up falling asleep on the back of his 1100GS a lot! Eventually he had to tether me to him to make sure I didn't fall off.
McHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #60
trustme
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantabikesobad View Post
Took my daughter (6 yrs old) to gymnastics class yesterday evening. After class she wanted to go for a ride. We rode to the park along the river about 10 miles away. On the way back I could feel her helmet visor touching my back repeatedly and then it felt like she turned her head and crouched down. I tapped her leg and yelled to her. I thought she said she was cold and we were only a mile from home so I kept going. At the light she said she was FOUFH:SDUHF:KSJDFH or something like that. Its hard to hear with the bike and both us wearing full face helmets. I turned the corner and at one block from home I felt her go limp. I tapped the brakes and I felt her straighten up. Her grip on my jacket stayed good but It happened so fast If I would have been cornering it may have gone bad fast.
Next stop is intercom store. Need to keep better tabs. We have ridden farther before but she wasnt tired from class.
Be very aware of this, I sure am now.
I happily take my 10 year old , started taking her at 9 but I think 6 is probably a bit young. At 6/7 their thought process is too erratic for my liking, at 9 or 10 they can recognise how they feel, they are more aware of what is going on.
One of the bits I enjoy is bimbling along through the bends with daughter on the back singing at the top of her voice, no idea what she sings bit it always makes me smile
trustme is offline   Reply With Quote