User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
F800GS Generator/Stator Output?

Does anyone know what the total output of the F800GS generator/stator is, and what type of load is used for normal bike operation?

Also what is used by the 2 heated grip settings, and whats available for use after all is said and done?
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
flubbyhog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
400 watts for the generator, don't know about the other.
Old 04-04-2011, 07:53 PM   #3
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post
Does anyone know what the total output of the F800GS generator/stator is, and what type of load is used for normal bike operation?

Also what is used by the 2 heated grip settings, and whats available for use after all is said and done?
The stator is always out putting 400watt`s...... The RR ( partially) grounds whatever energy that is not being used by the system....to Chassis ground.... So in short the stator is always out putting the 400 watts..... Regardless of what is turned on. That is in part why the RR has cooling rib`s......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
loph917
Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer: 4,466
trizzo, this post will answer almost all of your questions about the F800GS. a true source of awesome knowledge. click here.

directly answering your question; there is this post.

i have run my gerbing jacket/gloves, phone, and gps unit all winter long. bike sits outside unheated and not on a tender. i have not experienced a single issue starting, even when the bike has sat for a month.

if you are worried about monitoring draw, you need to get one of them fancy volt meter things (datel volt meter for example).

somewhere here there is a good thread on the design of the stator/generator and talk of how to get more power out possibly by rewinding the generator. not exactly a simple solution. and probably why there hasn't been a 3rd party solution to this (potential) problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzo View Post

Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #5
trizzo OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
thx aaron. ps ill be in NYC week of May 9th. Plz prepare your liver...... ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by loph917 View Post
trizzo, this post will answer almost all of your questions about the F800GS. a true source of awesome knowledge. click here.

directly answering your question; there is this post.

i have run my gerbing jacket/gloves, phone, and gps unit all winter long. bike sits outside unheated and not on a tender. i have not experienced a single issue starting, even when the bike has sat for a month.

if you are worried about monitoring draw, you need to get one of them fancy volt meter things (datel volt meter for example).

somewhere here there is a good thread on the design of the stator/generator and talk of how to get more power out possibly by rewinding the generator. not exactly a simple solution. and probably why there hasn't been a 3rd party solution to this (potential) problem.
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 07:04 AM   #6
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
The stator is always out putting 400watt`s...... The RR ( partially) grounds whatever energy that is not being used by the system....to Chassis ground.... So in short the stator is always out putting the 400 watts..... Regardless of what is turned on. That is in part why the RR has cooling rib`s......

Erling
Seems like running a few accessories would lengthen the life of the regulator ... it seems a shame to ask the stator to always put out 100% of rated load when that's not what is needed ... kinda like corporate America...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #7
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Seems like running a few accessories would lengthen the life of the regulator ... it seems a shame to ask the stator to always put out 100% of rated load when that's not what is needed ... kinda like corporate America...
Your not kidding............ Unfortunately most if not all mc`s have an inferior charging....and FI system as compared to cars..... You wonder why...... It would really not be much more to have the charging system deliver " on demand" ....like automobiles....... and the FI......run with the O2 in the loop at all times.......Like automobiles....... I guess that`s just the way things are..... Bummer......

Erling
Old 04-05-2011, 03:24 PM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
It is weird...
On the alternator I have an "excuse" to present
Automotive alternators use a brush/slip-ring electro-magnet for the rotor.
That way they can vary the current in the rotor to produce the output required. Motorcycle alternators (typically ... except for old boxers?) being inside the crankcase and subject to the oil bath would not like a design that included a brush/slip-ring ...

But still.......................
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
It is weird...
On the alternator I have an "excuse" to present
Automotive alternators use a brush/slip-ring electro-magnet for the rotor.
That way they can vary the current in the rotor to produce the output required. Motorcycle alternators (typically ... except for old boxers?) being inside the crankcase and subject to the oil bath would not like a design that included a brush/slip-ring ...

But still.......................
Yeppers...... But I would think that with modern day electronics....that could be overcome......

Erling