Old 04-05-2011, 07:45 PM   #151
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Oddometer: 390
Fairbanks, AK to Wasilla, AK

Day 16 June 15, 2010
Mileage Today: 363
Total Trip Mileage: 5,527

So, last night we had discovered that our credit card was most likely still in the possession of the lady at the Yukon River Crossing Gas Station. We made a plan that evening to retrieve the card. First, we did some googling, and after a few wrong number/wrong place we found the right number and contacted the gas station. A guy answered, Nikki explained the situation, and he said, "Yep, got your card right here." Good, but how to get it to Fairbanks. Nikki asked if there was anybody there getting gas (preferably on a motorcycle, i suggested in the background)? He said no, but there was a tour bus scheduled to be through there in a couple of hours, and they will eventually return to Fairbanks. "I can put the card in an envelope and give it to the driver, and tell him to leave it at their office in Fairbanks, and you all can retrieve it from there.", the guy from the gas station suggested. Sounds like a good enough plan to us . We then contacted the office of the tour bus company in Fairbanks, and explained our situation. They were cool with everything and said they open at 8am. Had this happened anywhere in the lower 48, we probably wouldn't of been so lucky. I am sure they would have had some sort of "policy" in place that would prevent the bus driver to do something like that to help some folks out. Very few stupid rules in Alaska. I believe their slogan could be something like, "Alaska... If you are a pussy, please go home"

The morning came, and went to kill a bit of time until the bus tour company opened up.

This was also the day we started our new kick - Safeway Grocery store for breakfast. It was awesome. Donuts/Muffins 3 for $1, Good Coffee and free wifi. WE frequented this place as much as possible for the remainder of the trip.

After breakfast we made our way over to the tour bus company place, over near the airport. Went inside *fingers crossed*

"Umm, yes, Hi! Umm, we left a credit card at the gas station back up the road at the Yukon River Crossing, and the bus driver last night was supposed to bring it back here and leave it for us."

The lady has a puzzled look, "What tour were you on?" "Uh, we weren't on a tour. We are on a motorcycle. We left our credit card at that gas station, then when we realized it we were back in Fairbanks, so we called the gas station, they said a bus tour was coming through and that he could bring it back here."

"Right.....", she says. "Let me go ask someone."

30 seconds later, she comes back, opens the drawer of the desk she was sitting at and says, "Here ya go!" and hands us an envelope with our credit card in it .

Crisis averted. But just to be safe, I sent a note to my banker at the time:

Jake,

Please check my account for possible fraudulent charges, i.e.

1. 12 gauge rifles
2. Reindeer sausage
3. 350 gallons of diesel fuel (Possibly for a tour bus)

Now we can get the heck back on the road. We head South on the Parks Hwy towards Denali NP.

The weather was wonderful this morning.

15 miles North of Denali, in Healey, we stop for gas.

We also stopped by the local post office and got the largest "flat-rate shipping box" they had, and packed it full of stuff we didn't use (as well as 3 Hardcover Novels Nikki finished, yes i said hardcover)

Then it was into Denali NP.

Of course the weather had begun to change. It was really windy, with clouds moving in. Mt. Mckinley is hidden in the pic.

You can only drive a little bit into the park. Access into the heart of Denali is by bus only, and although my recent experiences with buses had been pleasant, we just didn't feel like committing to an all day bus excursion.

We drove in as far as we could.

Stopped at a parking area, sheltered ourselves behind the bike for a bit of wind protection and had lunch.

Where we had a visitor. Who tried to steal our Peanut Butter lid.

And then headed back out of the park.

Where we got back on the Parks Hwy and continued South. We got about 30 miles, before the rain started. We pulled over to add the rain gear items.

This was the last pic I took that day. The remaining hours were spent driving through rain.

By the time we reached Wasilla, I was done. We found a motel, hung our gear up to dry, and hoped the weather would be better tomorrow as we headed out to the Kenai Peninsula.

jordan

jglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 PM   #152
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinPostal View Post
I am also heading up to Alaksa this June. Hoping to make it to Prudhoe Bay. Why did you decide to stop short of Prudhoe Bay? From what I understand the Arctic Circle is about 1/2 way up. I sure hope we get the same road conditions you got. I'm riding a VStrom 1000, my buddy is on a more sensible KLR650 for the Dalton.
Enjoying your report, thanks a lot.

I chose to stop at the Arctic Circle, mainly because I was 2up with Nikki. If the weather got bad on a trip all the way up to Deadhorse (which it would most certainly do at some point, either coming or going) then it would have been total misery for Nikki. Not to mention being able to handle the bike in those conditions 2up with street tires. And had I gone to Deadhorse, then I would have no reason to go back and do it again .

Also, I would say that the Arctic Circle is maybe half way between Fairbanks and Deadhorse, but only about 25% of the way from the start of the Dalton. Just make sure you have some knobbies on your strom if you are going all the way to Deadhorse (Prudhoe Bay), and I think you'll be fine.

Jordan
Old 04-05-2011, 08:07 PM   #153
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,301
these reports are so helpful...thanks...we are heading up with Heidenau K60 tires and some KLIM gear...we live in a very wet climate at times and liners bug the crap out of us....hoping the gear and tires will do well.

I give you credit riding 2 up so far...we have our own bikes and at times that can be challenging.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #154
GoinPostal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 384
thanks for the reply Jordan. I plan on shipping a set of TKC 80's up to Fairbanks to have installed by that father/son shop that posts on ADV. Possibly the same place you had your service done up there. We will also stay at the dorms for 2 days on the way up and 1 or two on the way down to swith tires again.
Group of Fools Central America Adventure 2013
2012 Triple Black GSA
GoinPostal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:51 PM   #155
Meatn'taters
Not any more

Oddometer: 234
You just never know what you might stumble upon here. Found you about 4 hours ago, started reading and forgot to stop. Dinner? Oh yea - love the microwave. Thanks for the effort - awesome report. WAY better than whatever the tube had to offer tonight. Really, nice job. But the real really is that you two did this great trip together.

I've been working on my bride for a similar ride north. I have a F650GS - you guys 2-up on a 650 Strom has given me confidence that we CAN do it on my bike. Now, where'd you learn all those successful sales skills?

"You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there".
Yogi Berra
Meatn'taters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 01:26 AM   #156
akadvntr
Frozen

Oddometer: 220
Fantastic!
Just spent a couple of hours getting through this report (didn't feel like paying bills tonight anyway) and really appreciate your view of our awesome state! You guys ROCK Looking forward to the next half of the report
THANKS

Ken

2008 KLR650 sold 1-4-14
2012 VStrom DL1000
akadvntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #157
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 777
Talking

First you drop your drivers licence on the ground at a restaurant, then you leave your credit card at a gas station. Are you sure your not me?
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 08:26 AM   #158
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 27,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by jglow View Post
(as well as 3 Hardcover Novels Nikki finished, yes i said hardcover)
On a bike? Good thing she's cute.

Next trip . . . . get her a Kindle or a Nook or some other e-reader. She can take all the books she wants and it'll still only weigh the same as one paperback.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #159
Dave Bell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Wicked 12 gauge rifles?

I am really enjoying your ride report and awesome pics, but being a fellow Texan, I must point out that 12 gauges are shotguns, not rifles. I would be willing to do a home school for you via computer on essential Texas knowledge if you like. You can't be from here. If you are, you must be from a big city......

(with tongue in cheek)

Dave
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:01 PM   #160
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Well, I think I read DFW, but I'm new here, so I don't know what the deal is with the cities vs. rural areas here. Heck, I'm still trying to figure out how traffic on a highway can actually come to a literal stop!

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #161
iphorde
Obviously I'm bored.

Oddometer: 773
Dave, when do we leave on our Alaska trip?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bell View Post
I am really enjoying your ride report and awesome pics, but being a fellow Texan, I must point out that 12 gauges are shotguns, not rifles. I would be willing to do a home school for you via computer on essential Texas knowledge if you like. You can't be from here. If you are, you must be from a big city......

(with tongue in cheek)

Dave

I ride ORANGE bike's and a Gasser...

Disclaimer: Don't take me seriously, because I don't....
iphorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #162
presto88
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
I noticed the 12 gauge rifle mistake too but, being a Californian, I felt it probably wasn't wise for me to try and correct a Texan on such matters!

I'm lovin' the ride report! Jordan, do you know off-hand what the farthest distance was between gas stations? I've got an 1150GS and am wondering if I'll need to pack extra gas, or will my stock tank provide the range that I need.
presto88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 05:37 AM   #163
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Bell View Post

(with tongue in cheek)

Dave

Okay, you guys caught me. I've never owned a gun, and my knowledge is substantially lacking in that department.. Although Nikki is truly from the sticks, I myself am indeed from a more urban area where the number of stoplights is greater than the number of wild hogs running a muck through my backyard. I am making a note in my "essential Texas knowledge handbook." JR Ewing would be so ashamed.

jordan
Old 04-07-2011, 05:51 AM   #164
jglow OP
Two wheeled traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by presto88 View Post
I noticed the 12 gauge rifle mistake too but, being a Californian, I felt it probably wasn't wise for me to try and correct a Texan on such matters!

I'm lovin' the ride report! Jordan, do you know off-hand what the farthest distance was between gas stations? I've got an 1150GS and am wondering if I'll need to pack extra gas, or will my stock tank provide the range that I need.

The distances between gas stations supposedly changes every year due to new closing/possible re-openings. So keep that in mind. I think the longest we ever went between fuel stops was about 150 miles, and that was probably because we skipped one 30 miles or so after we filled up. It was never an issue, but the general rule of thumb once up in that area is to get fuel when you see it. I don't know if you plan on riding on the Cassier at all (we didn't), but the from what I've read, the fuel is definitely stretched out a bit more along it. We did carry 2 msr bottle for aux fuel (and cooking stove) but never touched them for the bike. FYI the tank on the V-strom holds 5.6 (?)ish gallons, and we averaged in the low 40's mpg. I think we encountered longer spacing between fuel coming through Nevada on Hwy 50.

Jordan
Old 04-07-2011, 07:15 AM   #165
Dave Bell
Adventurer

Oddometer: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by iphorde View Post
Dave, when do we leave on our Alaska trip?
When I look at that map, I see how far it really is, and it is obviously a very, very long trip. Right now, I still have to work (unlike some people I know). I guess the best I can say is "someday".
Dave Bell is offline   Reply With Quote