User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
lmclamore OP
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 403
Throttle Body Adjustment?

I was recently at my dealer's service department for a valve cover gasket replacement on a 2010 F650GS. The service manager came out and said "who's been messing with your throttle body adjustment?". I asked him to show me what he was talking about and he pointed out the painted hash marks on the adjustment screws were black. He said BMW's factory marks are always blue. Not me and my independent mechanic says he never touched them doing some unrelated work this past winter. He used to work at this dealer and ended up speaking to my service manager about it calling the situation a mystery. The bike runs fine and has had a Booster Plug installed for the last 6K of 7K total miles. On approaching my bike in the sun yesterday, I notice the right header pipe is more blue than the left. I never noticed any bluing before.
1. Does anyone have black painted hash marks on their throttle body adjustment screws?
2. Does anyone have bluing discoloration on their header pipes?
3. Does anyone have a noticable difference in this bluing between the two headers?
4. Should I stop worrying about all this and enjoy a running bike?
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #2
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,996
I may have missed it, but I can not find a procedure listed in rev #4 of the BMW manual for sync. of the throttle bodies.
The Haynes manual mentions the screws but simply says not to mess with them ...

It would certainly seem that if they were out of sync. that one cylinder would run leaner than the other. Joel did a tear-down on a twin that seemed to be running that way, but I never heard if he was able to track down the cause....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:03 AM   #3
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,164
Where are the throttle body adjustment screws? Picture?

I just want to paint mine yellow to mess with my service guy.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM   #4
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,067
If one header prolongely has more blue`ing.....than the other......I`d say I would investigate. Mine looked the same before the addition of the skid plate.......still the same after the skid plate..... But that`s just me...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #5
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,443
I wouldn't swear by it, but I think mine was black.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 03:37 AM   #6
lmclamore OP
Citation Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Where are the throttle body adjustment screws? Picture?

I just want to paint mine yellow to mess with my service guy.
YtiGS - They are under the airbox and not easily seen without taking battery, airbox, and plastic off.

Everyone - Thanks much for your responses. I got a confirmation on F800Riders that one rider definitely has black hash marks. That tells me that they are not "always blue".
Old 04-06-2011, 07:38 PM   #7
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Imclamore, I have seen BMW use black paint on the throttle body screws, I've seen yellow for that matter. I think they use whatever color paint they have handy. Your service manager is an astute observer, but concerned for nothing in this case.

Imclamore and Jrwooden, the cause of color differences on headers of the k7x bikes I've seen, including the one I've seen torn down was one fuel injector partially plugged. Such evidence deserves a few BMW techron treatments before it turns into a stuck injector. Neumerous other causes are possible, but plugging injectors are the common cause.

Yeti, your a bastard, but I like you :) I have on occasion tossed an extra bolt into a pile one of my techs has mid job. If they flip out trying to figure out where it goes, it relaxes and pleases me. I wouldn't suggest doing the same unless the tech is hourly and you don't mind them chucking large objects at you
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 07:49 PM   #8
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Yeti, your a bastard, but I like you :) I have on occasion tossed an extra bolt into a pile one of my techs has mid job. If they flip out trying to figure out where it goes, it relaxes and pleases me. I wouldn't suggest doing the same unless the tech is hourly and you don't mind them chucking large objects at you
He's a buddy of mine. Scrawny little bastard likes to run me into the ground when we go play for runs. It would be fair payback.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:16 AM   #9
lmclamore OP
Citation Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman View Post
Imclamore and Jrwooden, the cause of color differences on headers of the k7x bikes I've seen, including the one I've seen torn down was one fuel injector partially plugged. Such evidence deserves a few BMW techron treatments before it turns into a stuck injector. Neumerous other causes are possible, but plugging injectors are the common cause.
Joel - Thanks for the advice. I have been running BMW FI Cleaner or Seafoam every 3-4 tank fulls since the bike was new. I will step up the Techron treatment to every tank full for a while and keep an eye on the pipes. I'll be visiting George at BUA in a couple of months for something else and will ask him to take a look while I'm there.
Old 04-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
jasonTDI
TDI Guru

Oddometer: 186
Mine have black paint. FWIW. 09' F800GS.

Both of my headers are blued. Lots of off-road slow stuff that keeps the fan on almost constantly. Good 10w40 syn oil in the bike.
jasonTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 04:37 PM   #11
lmclamore OP
Citation Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
Mine have black paint. FWIW. 09' F800GS.

Both of my headers are blued. Lots of off-road slow stuff that keeps the fan on almost constantly. Good 10w40 syn oil in the bike.
Thanks JasonTDI - That's encouraging. I spend a lot of time in stop/go traffic which may contribute to the bluing. I see that the significant difference between my two headers seems to be where the right one passes behind the crashbar/frame intersection which makes sense as there is less airflow in that area.