ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #226
vespajg
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 1
Delivery of new shipment

Is there any update as to when the new shipment of Hiviz will arrive?

thx
vespajg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #227
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.
 
BoochZilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Oddometer: 761
Hey Vespa,

We will know more in the next 10 days. I spoke with Schuberth today.

Stay tuned. It's a waiting game from news from Germany.

Thanks,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vespajg View Post
Is there any update as to when the new shipment of Hiviz will arrive?

thx
__________________
RevZilla.com | RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #228
ultrarnr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 47
Battery life on SRC?

I have looked on Schuberth's web site and there is no mention about battery life on the SRC. I think there was a previous post that mentioned about only 2-3 hours while listening to XM radio. This doesn't seem to be very practical if it is accurate for these systems. By comparison I have a G-4 than can last for over 11 hours while listening to XM. Just wondering what users of the SRC have found battery life to be. Thanks.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:26 AM   #229
DRTBYK
Long Haul Adventurer
 
DRTBYK's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: North Central Washington (state)
Oddometer: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRTBYK View Post
While on tour last year in Africa, I was streaming MP3 music from my zumo GPS for about 3-4hrs a day. Charge usually lasted two days with the SRC on all of the time (~8hrs/day).
I'd think an SRC-System was having battery problems if it were only lasting a couple of hours on a charge.
__________________
Cheers,

Dan
All Things GPS
Reviews at www.GlobeRiders.com
DRTBYK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #230
ADW
'tard bike restos
 
ADW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MI
Oddometer: 517
What about the much lower range on the SRC vs. G4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrarnr View Post
I have looked on Schuberth's web site and there is no mention about battery life on the SRC. I think there was a previous post that mentioned about only 2-3 hours while listening to XM radio. This doesn't seem to be very practical if it is accurate for these systems. By comparison I have a G-4 than can last for over 11 hours while listening to XM. Just wondering what users of the SRC have found battery life to be. Thanks.
The Shuberth SRC system is essentially a Cardo Scala G4 that's integrated into the helmet package. The "mainstream" G4 has a claimed range of up to 1 mile, whereas the SRC has a claimed range of only roughly 1000 feet (300m).

Seems like a huge range decrease (1000 vs. 5000 feet) for a price premium ($300 for the SRC vs. $200 for a single G4). A couple buddies have new C3's with SRC and we/they tried them on a ride in the Tennessee mountains (Tellico) last weekend. Not really terribly impressed with the range. They might be acceptable on street rides, but for ADV rides with winding dirt roads and etc. they just didn't work well. I understand that even the G4 claim of a mile is probably a stretch, but still...900 feet wasn't at all a reasonable range. They were only good when you were within close sight distance of each other. If one guy went around the turn even 100 yards ahead of you, that was it...he was "gone" from the radio. A little better in straight line of sight, but not 900 feet (which isn't really very much separation distance for two bikes).

Hopefully Schuberth has an optional external antenna or something? 50% more money for 1/5 the range sounds like a pretty bad tradeoff. Boochzilla, since you're in contact with Shuberth can you ask them if they have a solution?
__________________
08 KLR, 06 KLR w/Sputnik sidecar, 72 CB350F

ADW screwed with this post 04-12-2011 at 03:30 PM
ADW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:21 PM   #231
ultrarnr
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Oddometer: 47
Battery Life.

I contacted Schuberth about the battery life question. Their response is it should last 10-12 hours of actual talk time. That sounds about in line with the G-4.
On the issue of range though. It seems they could mount a external antenna on the side of the helmet in such a way that it blends in with the helmet and is hardly noticeable unless you are looking closely at it. Just match the antenna covering based on the color of the helmet and have it flexible enough to follow the curves of the helmet. Maybe I am missing something here but it doesn't sound like it should be very difficult to do.
ultrarnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #232
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.
 
BoochZilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Oddometer: 761
Hey ADW,

I am supposed to have a call with the Schube's this week. I will ping them.

From my understanding, the range difference was a purposeful sacrifice. They built the SRC into the neck roll to eliminate the possibility of adding any additional noise and decrease in aerodynamics by bolting on any external elements.

At the apex price point most folks hold the quiet and streamline at the top of their list for reasons to pick up such an investment over a more everyday modular. I am not excited about the decrease in range, but I can understand the logic. Some have been affected by it and some have not, I can see in an offroad situation how it could be a line of sight issue.

BoochZilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
The Shuberth SRC system is essentially a Cardo Scala G4 that's integrated into the helmet package. The "mainstream" G4 has a claimed range of up to 1 mile, whereas the SRC has a claimed range of only roughly 1000 feet (300m).

Seems like a huge range decrease (1000 vs. 5000 feet) for a price premium ($300 for the SRC vs. $200 for a single G4). A couple buddies have new C3's with SRC and we/they tried them on a ride in the Tennessee mountains (Tellico) last weekend. Not really terribly impressed with the range. They might be acceptable on street rides, but for ADV rides with winding dirt roads and etc. they just didn't work well. I understand that even the G4 claim of a mile is probably a stretch, but still...900 feet wasn't at all a reasonable range. They were only good when you were within close sight distance of each other. If one guy went around the turn even 100 yards ahead of you, that was it...he was "gone" from the radio. A little better in straight line of sight, but not 900 feet (which isn't really very much separation distance for two bikes).

Hopefully Schuberth has an optional external antenna or something? 50% more money for 1/5 the range sounds like a pretty bad tradeoff. Boochzilla, since you're in contact with Shuberth can you ask them if they have a solution?
__________________
RevZilla.com | RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #233
ADW
'tard bike restos
 
ADW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MI
Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoochZilla View Post
Hey ADW,

I am supposed to have a call with the Schube's this week. I will ping them.

From my understanding, the range difference was a purposeful sacrifice. They built the SRC into the neck roll to eliminate the possibility of adding any additional noise and decrease in aerodynamics by bolting on any external elements.

At the apex price point most folks hold the quiet and streamline at the top of their list for reasons to pick up such an investment over a more everyday modular. I am not excited about the decrease in range, but I can understand the logic. Some have been affected by it and some have not, I can see in an offroad situation how it could be a line of sight issue.

BoochZilla
Yep, that's what I figured too, that it was a known tradeoff to keep their primary goals in line. But maybe, just maybe, they were smart enough to leave a way for some of their users to get better range? Will be interested to hear what they tell you. Thanks!!
__________________
08 KLR, 06 KLR w/Sputnik sidecar, 72 CB350F
ADW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:19 PM   #234
ride2live
Just ride
 
ride2live's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Boulder, CO
Oddometer: 87
HD Pro Camera

Anybody popped one of these camera mounts on your Schuberth yet? If so, where / how did you mount it? I want to attach mine for some test riding this weekend. (I know, the S manual says to attach nothing, even decals...)
__________________
2013 Honda 250L
2007 R1200 GS Adventure
ride2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 05:05 PM   #235
SeniorLennyPK
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Oddometer: 1
Color Match?

I have the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket in the Hi-vis green/yellow. Will the Schuberth hi-vis yellow match o.k., or clash with this jacket???
SeniorLennyPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #236
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.
 
BoochZilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Oddometer: 761
Hey Lenny,

The colors are not a perfect match as the Olympia is a slight hue of green and the C3 is more yellow, but we don't think they are so different that they will not work well together.

At the end of they day you will "glow".

Best,

Anthony


Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorLennyPK View Post
I have the Olympia Airglide 3 jacket in the Hi-vis green/yellow. Will the Schuberth hi-vis yellow match o.k., or clash with this jacket???
__________________
RevZilla.com | RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #237
rschulte
Adventurer
 
rschulte's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Oddometer: 54
Anthony:

I see on your website how to be emailed when the hi-viz helmets come in, but I do not see how to preorder a hi- viz C3.

Is the hi-viz C3 available for preorder?
rschulte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #238
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.
 
BoochZilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Oddometer: 761
Hey,

Thanks for the note. Online the best we can do is the notification. If you would like to place a pre-order, it has to be over the phone. Shoot us a call and any of our staff can knock it our for you. 877 792 9455

Thanks,

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulte View Post
Anthony:

I see on your website how to be emailed when the hi-viz helmets come in, but I do not see how to preorder a hi- viz C3.

Is the hi-viz C3 available for preorder?
__________________
RevZilla.com | RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:57 AM   #239
ADW
'tard bike restos
 
ADW's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: MI
Oddometer: 517
Hear anything back about the poor range issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Yep, that's what I figured too, that it was a known tradeoff to keep their primary goals in line. But maybe, just maybe, they were smart enough to leave a way for some of their users to get better range? Will be interested to hear what they tell you. Thanks!!
Hi, Booch...did you have any discussion with Shuberth about the SRC range issue (and any ways to improve it)?
__________________
08 KLR, 06 KLR w/Sputnik sidecar, 72 CB350F
ADW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:31 PM   #240
BoochZilla OP
Metal.Moto.Mania.
 
BoochZilla's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Location: Philadelphia
Oddometer: 761
Hey ADW,

We had to move our call as their leader in in Germany I believe. As soon as I know I will report back.

Thanks for the patience.

Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Hi, Booch...did you have any discussion with Shuberth about the SRC range issue (and any ways to improve it)?
__________________
RevZilla.com | RevZilla Gear Discussion / Q&A | RevZilla Career Opportunities

'10 Multistrada 1200
'05 Monster S2R
BoochZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014