Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #226
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 24,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecycledRS View Post
I've been reading of your charging woes and it occurred to me that you may be thinking that the Omega system is producing close to max output at 4000 rpm. The output may be considerably less at that rpm. Perhaps check with Rick to confirm.

You could try turning off your heated gear and see what the voltage output goes to. Just a thought. Bill.
Thanks for reading, and your input. I'm fully open to suggestions... I realize my riding style (not tons of time above 4K) might not suit the system but there's a ton of variables. I have a digital voltmeter tapped onto the battery, and am trying to see what it does at various speeds, but am having a bit of trouble keeping the bike rolling forward as of late :sheepish

Preliminary reports show the bat voltage it working its way up to close to 14v at that rpm, but it is not instantaneous. Then the rotor failed Its only been two years and less than 20K miles on that one.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:34 AM   #227
RecycledRS
Along for the ride

Oddometer: 1,033
Sounds like youre got it. Best of luck on the ride.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:40 AM   #228
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,951
...what all you have running? headlight, running lights, heated vest, what else?
Shucks, I thought that Omega dealie was suppose to be the shite....

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #229
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Wicked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
...what all you have running? headlight, running lights, heated vest, what else?
Shucks, I thought that Omega dealie was suppose to be the shite....
Operating conditions are so variable, RD, it's just hard to say. I'm not writing off the omega, i just have too many things going on. Yes heated jacket, but not all the time. Headlights and sometimes extra PIAAS, but rocked turned me onto sOme 35w H4 HID's, so as soon as everything calms down I'm going to install them, if they even fit in my headlight bucket.
And I usually end up riding not longer than half an hour before shutting the bike down for whatever reason, plus there is a general lackadaisyical condition of all the connections. before a few days ago, I mean...
List of possible draws:
Ignition
Headlighs
Heated jacket
Heated grips
Autocom. (hasn't been hooked ip since last year)
Gps
Aux lights (now removed, again)
BMW dash clock (disconnected, now)
Old 04-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #230
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Vibration.

You feel it through the whole bike while moving regardless of clutch in/out.

Do you feel it when the bike is stationary?
I.e., start it on the centerstand and go through the rpms a few times while sitting on it. In neutral, in gear with clutch in, etc.

If it disappears, then you've either got too much knobby on your knobbies, or you have a driveshaft out of balance or something bad in your gearbox (though i doubt that one).
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM   #231
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
Vibration.

You feel it through the whole bike while moving regardless of clutch in/out.

Do you feel it when the bike is stationary?
I.e., start it on the centerstand and go through the rpms a few times while sitting on it. In neutral, in gear with clutch in, etc.

If it disappears, then you've either got too much knobby on your knobbies, or you have a driveshaft out of balance or something bad in your gearbox (though i doubt that one).
Thanks DAt- Will keep figuring. Here's some pics for your troubles:

SCHWING!

Old 04-12-2011, 05:28 PM   #232
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
you know....I love the photos. they are so surreal. the white balance off, off angles, weird subjects....nice
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #233
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,204
Did you see AW's list of weights on his r100gs front end? 47 pounds! I knew that front end was heavy that's nuts. Is the continuing sage of an r100GSPD gonna involve a new front end at some point? It seems like as strong front end but it's gotta slow you down.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #234
ignatz72
call me iggy

Oddometer: 626
Re: vibration

What about the dreaded *gasp* output shaft? I haven't followed all your posts on this capable cow, but has that been done?

BTW, great thread, awesome picts and vids! I hope to be brave enough one day to take my GS on a Rally like you have - looks like unbelievable fun!

I'm ordering shirts and stickers once I finish this post (you know, for street cred!).

Oh, and how has the MotoElekt beancan treated you so far? I had the Omega diode board on my RT, probably go back to Rick if I don't decide on the Enduralast for the GS...
ignatz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:46 PM   #235
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

New front end sounds cool! When its a plug-and-play, I'll line somebody with a G/S up with my front end

BEancan has been working, so far, I'm afraid to even mention it. Just got a new Advance from Rick. Apparently I still had a Very Early version... like two years old or more, which is FOrever in bean can years.

WELL tonights big story is this:

Went back down to do battle with the bike. Decided after speaking with Anton today that I ought to go ensure that the swingarm pivots were torqued properly. HE mentions 7 Nm as the right hand number to look for. I see that as 5ft-lbs. Book says to take the left hand side (dreaded 12mm hex) to 105Nm (89Ft-lbs) and then take the right hand pivot first to 3.5 ft-lbs to seat them. Then slack and take it back up to 5 ft-lbs. ANton said go 105 LEft, then 7Nm Right, then 105 on the lock nut. I took the extra step of seating the bearing at 3.5 which was proabbly useless in my case, but most things I do seem to be thus.

NExt, I decided to take out the rotor, seeing as how a new one will be going in tomorrow night, if the stars align.

OK, Alt and rotor come out and wait on nearby stump. HEy this is going well. I am feeling like a rough tough biker dude, working on my own shit!

NOw left with nothing immediately pressing, I make the desicion to open the right hand valve cover and see what is making such a racket down there. I figurerd if its not hte valve lash, its the rocker arm lash.

Indeed it is. The exhaust side has damn near .2mm of slop, and the little plastic bushing looks like its been rat-chewed. The intake has less, but still some.

Christ in a dump truck. I think the universe is trying to tell me something about maybe not going to the Pine Barrens this weekend :gah It looks like it may very well destroy itself on the Jersey Turnpike. Wont that be fun.

WELL I start poking around in this big tupperware box I have filled with all kinds of "SHITE PEE DEE" and amongst all the various bits and bobs... fairing nuts, spoke nipples, bashplate bolts, circlips, o-rings, old beancans, all kinds of random shit... is ONE lets count them ONE plastic rocker arm bushing.

OK, Universe, I'm trying to listen, but I'm getting mixed signals.

Off comes the valve cover, Off come the head nuts, Off comes the rocker block, Out comes the shaft, and I dont lose any needles The new bushing is so nice that i even have to remove one of the spacer-washers to get it to fit right. Now there's a LOT less lash, almost the tight amount if i do say so myself. The intake still has a bunch of lash but I think it might survive this trip. The valve adjustment also survived.. DIdnt have to readjust anything when I slapped it back together.

Will post pics of the chewed bushing for your perusal when I can get a more better upload pipe.

I sure love that bike...
Old 04-14-2011, 06:19 AM   #236
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
OK, Universe, I'm trying to listen, but I'm getting mixed signals.
That strikes a tone with me for sure.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 AM   #237
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,817
try listening in Mono, stereo confuses me

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #238
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigars&Scotch View Post
try listening in Mono, stereo confuses me
Thats funny! but I got a bad ground hum regardless it seems. Rotor didnt show up, today, so I'm about to head down to the barn and start finding a battery to put in the girlfriend's 1150 :booooo
This is now a very different weekend from the one initially envisioned, and I'm pretty sure I would not have bothered to go if it had been pitched to me like this. If I hadnt already passed the point of no refund, I would probably shit can the while idea and ride the 450 around the woods.

I'm not really fond of 1150's, although it will make the jersey turnpike pass that much quicker.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:13 AM   #239
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,333
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 06:22 AM   #240
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Bill- was really nice to meet you- cant wait to go riding again