Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 AM   #91
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,985
Thumb the amazing bladder review

well I had some time with my Hydration engine
so I will I need to say a few words

The geigerrig folks have down right impressed me with customer service
so that needs to be said and a huge thumbs up there. Emails from the Pres are not often come by in the world for consumer to product communications. These guys stand behind their product and let you know it. One can only wish same could be said about companies that make our motorcycles.

So my time with the bladder so far has consisted of a few hikes and bike rides and here are some things I felt needed mentioning;

The bladder is really well made, materials feel top quality and even look nice not that you care about that when they are in your pack but it is nice to see the attention to detail. The hoses and valves are really sturdy and do their job well. The pump works PERIOD. Having pressure in the bladder is just plain smart and beats sucking by miles especially when the bladder is getting low and you out of breath. Being able to spray folks from a distance is just something I have waaaay too much fun with and my 2.5 year old son loves it. The bite valve is awesome. Takes some getting used to the fact that it takes no effort at all to have the water flowing but I certainly am not going back.

By far though the best thing is just flopping the thing into the dishwasher.
No need for crazy cleaning procedures, and bye bye nasty tasting water and repeated bladder purchases.

I have not tested the the filter with dirty water yet (there was no need) but I did feel the need to test the bladder with the filter on and I will say that it works as advertised, water is pushed through without any trouble.

I haven't yet strapped an explosive device to it to challenge the leak warranty but I am pretty confident that it will work as advertised. Everything else did.

Those that have other types of packs and are considering the bladder alone, I can say go ahead I don't think you will regret it. I had no problems fitting into my Camel branded packs and a a few others I have around.
I have the 2L but I had plenty of space to fit the 3L into all of them.
All the packs but one had a strap to secure the pump on the left shoulder
and on the one that didn't a sweat band was used and worked flawlessly.
With the free filter I can say that this is just an unbeatable value even if you completely disregard the unique features and quality.

A big big thumbs up for this product and I strongly recommend it
to anyone who has considered using a hydration bladder as a means of carrying water or is in the market for one and not sure where to spend their money. From my experience it really does not get better then this.
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #92
Road Trip
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Well, i ordered mine ....500 Ballistic. Look forward to receiving, gearing up for a rookie trip down the CDR this summer.

GB, thanks for organizing the pro-mo.

RT
Road Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:27 PM   #93
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
This might have been covered and I missed it but as I understand it we order it direct and it comes from a seperate supplier ? Any shipping options or availability in Canada ? UPS sucks donkies with their extra fees and is often a deal breaker.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:07 AM   #94
vagabondtx
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Alright, I got tired of smelling my latest Camelbak bladder and then reading all these rave reviews... Just ordered my 500 Citrus and an extra 3L system for those hot Texas rides... Looking forward to testing :)
Old 04-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #95
leeinmemphis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,051
I rode today about 150 miles with the 1200 pack. I think for my uses the 1200 will be the most often used pack. It has the larger bladder and it has plenty of space in it for a few incidentals.
leeinmemphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #96
Plinkerton
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Got my 3L bladder today.

It fits great in my CamelBak Trailblazer that I've had for years. It has 2 holes coming out of the bladder section, which works great for the drinking tube and the pump.

My old Platypus bladder was working great, but I was intrigued.

The Geiger is very well made, as was previously mentioned. Fittings are top notch, as are hoses, etc.

Very well thought out, and very well made.

I didn't think not having to suck would matter, but walking around the house with it on, it really is nice, and makes a difference.

One of the coolest things is that I can remove the pump and drinking tube from the bag without feeding them thru the holes in my pack, and remove the bladder for cleaning. It's pretty rad.

The only "con" I can think of, is that when pumped up, it can round out your pack a little. Before, my bladder would kind of mold to by back. With the Geiger, you can feel it a little. But a little loosening and adjusting of the straps fixed that.

Because of my stupid post office, I didn't get the filter yet, but that part was the selling point for me.

I think it's cool to be able to essentially never run out of water.

Will this thing filter pee?

Just kidding...

Anyway, Geigerrigs are sweet.

Buy one.

Or three.

EDIT: Oh, and when I emailed Geiger about the post office sending the filter back, he responded immediately and said he'd take care of it. GREAT customer service.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #97
GEIGERRIG OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
Rounding Out the Pack

Plinkerton,

You are quite right that the pack can round out a bit when pressurized. However, when loaded in a GEIGERRIG pack...especially the RIG 500 and RIG 700, you will find that this isn't much of an issue at all. Our packs a designed specifically to facilitate the pressurized benefits that the GEIGERRIG offers without the affect that you mentioned. When loaded into a Camelbak pack, you certainly may experience the rounding affect. The Camelbak packs assume that you are going to suck and therefore do not anticipate the inclusion of a pressurized hydration system where sucking is not required.

Thanks for your purchase of a Geigerrig, and don't be a stranger. Always feel free to contact us directly anytime: bob@hubcityoutdoor.com or 801-823-3336.

Sincerely,

Bob Geiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkerton View Post
Got my 3L bladder today.

It fits great in my CamelBak Trailblazer that I've had for years. It has 2 holes coming out of the bladder section, which works great for the drinking tube and the pump.

My old Platypus bladder was working great, but I was intrigued.

The Geiger is very well made, as was previously mentioned. Fittings are top notch, as are hoses, etc.

Very well thought out, and very well made.

I didn't think not having to suck would matter, but walking around the house with it on, it really is nice, and makes a difference.

One of the coolest things is that I can remove the pump and drinking tube from the bag without feeding them thru the holes in my pack, and remove the bladder for cleaning. It's pretty rad.

The only "con" I can think of, is that when pumped up, it can round out your pack a little. Before, my bladder would kind of mold to by back. With the Geiger, you can feel it a little. But a little loosening and adjusting of the straps fixed that.

Because of my stupid post office, I didn't get the filter yet, but that part was the selling point for me.

I think it's cool to be able to essentially never run out of water.

Will this thing filter pee?

Just kidding...

Anyway, Geigerrigs are sweet.

Buy one.

Or three.

EDIT: Oh, and when I emailed Geiger about the post office sending the filter back, he responded immediately and said he'd take care of it. GREAT customer service.
GEIGERRIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:04 PM   #98
McFuryMcNugget
me specie in dea ist

Oddometer: 499
I got the Promo.

IIIIIIIhhhaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAA

Super.

Its a good deal im dead serious and the system works great.

My best to Bob.

McFury / Iceland
Whats next ? Man walking on the moon ?.
All typing is done with One Finger using a MacPro Computer.
McFuryMcNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 01:42 AM   #99
OCDKen
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Geigerrig 700

RIG700 = Great! Geigerrig Service = Great! ADVRider Deal = Great!
Go Geigerrig and ADVRider! Wa-hoo.

I ordered my Geigerrig 700 Blue on Saturday evening. Woke up on Monday to find an email from Bob waiting for me. My filter and tube are being shipped today. On Tuesday I got an email with a tracking number from the assigned Geigerrig shipper. Oh boy, Oh boy ... it’s coming! The RIG700 was delivered today. I expect the filter and tube tomorrow (they had further to travel).

Like everyone else already found out, the Geigerrig is an incredibly well designed and built unit with lots of very nice big and little details. The attention to small detail surprised me a couple times while I was setting it up. From the elastic or Velcro loops that keep the strap ends under control, the drain hole at the bottom of the bladder pouch, the elastic bands that provide comfortable tension for the chest strap while you still have the full strain relief of the nylon straps, the internal hard plate that protects the bladder from the contents of the pack (and distributes the pressure of the pack contents and sharp objects against the whole bladder surface). The just details go on and on. I looked closely and I cannot find one crooked or unfinished seam or any signs of poor construction. It’s simply a great product. Wa-hoo.

I was even able to set the RIG700 up so it fits me very comfortably. I have never been able to get any other hydration pack to fit comfortably. Again, Wa-hoo!

Disclosure: I am a complete n00b with hydration packs. Never owned one before. I could never find one I thought would do the job for me. I've looked at them for years and have even bought a few, but every time they were returned immediately after closer inspection disclosed how badly they sucked overall (pun intended).

I am looking forward to testing the RIG700 more fully on a day ride this Saturday and will post again after some real experience. Wa-hoo.

Cons. I need to be honest with the inmates. I have to be pretty nit picky to find anything for this anyway and I was able to resolve everything easily anyway, so not much of a con really.

Upon inspection, I discovered the o-ring in the quick disconnect for the air pump was pinched and deformed. A little rubbing to warm it up and mash the squashed area back into the correct shape seemed somewhat successful, so I reassembled it. The pump and bladder operated leak free during later tests.

Ahhh, the short waist strap... I had it about one inch from fully extended (I'm 6'0", 175) when wearing the RIG700 over my Rallye Pro 2 Jacket (the blues even work together as I was hoping. Wa-hoo!). Length of the strap would have been ok for me most of the time, but it probably would not be so comfortable, say ... after a Holiday dinner. Seems like the belt was sized without considering it will also be worn over safety gear on motorcycles. Closer examination finds that you can offset the Velcro that attaches around the D rings at the pack, so only 50% of the Velcro is sticking together. This adds around two more inches to each strap.

Despite the 2 functional concepts for managing the excess strap ends, elastic in the waist strap and Velcro loops for the shoulder straps, the chest strap has nothing I can find to restrain the loose end?!? Since I am not planning on using the waist belt (at least initially), I just took one of the elastic loops from the waist belt and moved it to the chest strap. It’s a little big, but Bingo, I'm all set.

Suggestion.
I watched all of the videos on your Youtube channel. You need to weed out duplicates and title the clips better. It would be real nice to have at least one in-depth 'instruction' video that specifically points out all the features, how they work and what they can be used for (for us n00bs). Close up's, action shots, etc. E.g. you currently have a shot of you operating the quick release valve in your video, but it is shot from quite a distance. It would be nice if there were also a close up. It's not like I couldn't figure it out easily though. Point out the vertical adjustment in the chest strap, etc. Don’t need to go into the ‘it squirts’ thing so heavy in this video, we already drank the Kool-Aid and bought one.

Thanks again to Bob and Gigerrig for such an awesome product!

Inmates - if you haven't bought one of these yet, do it! You won't be sorry you bought the best!

Dude, Wanna smoke some beer with me?
OCDKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #100
Serp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
USPS shipping to Canada

Re: B.C.Bikers question about shipping options.
Sent a PM to Geigerrig asking if shipping can be via U.S. Postal Service to Canadians.
UPS and Fedex charge (excessive) brokerage fees when shipping across the border whereas USPS doesn't charge anything but the shipping costs.
Serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 AM   #101
ArthDuro
quarantined

Oddometer: 2,985
Re shipping, when ordering from the website
they have this very cool little box that you can check off that says
is this a gift?

check it
I saw no fees
and I am in the Great White North
+ momento mori +
ArthDuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:17 AM   #102
GEIGERRIG OP
Adventurer

Gear of the Year Award - GEIGERRIG -Camping Life Magazine

We'll continue to support the crew here at ADVRIDER! We are grateful for your feedback, communication and support. Always welcome to e-mail us directly: bob@hubcityoutdoor.com.

Name:  EditorsChoice2011-Campers Life.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  86.0 KB

Release - Camping Life Magazine - April 07, 2011
– Every year we see hundreds of examples of new camping equipment — from stoves to footwear and everything in between. Some new gear really wows us, while some leaves us wondering why the manufacturer even bothered, and it seems as if we’re getting more selective than ever before. It’s not that there isn’t a lot of great gear out there, but this list should be reserved for our favorites — the few things that stuck with us months after we examined or tested them. So here they are — the 2011 Camping Life Editor’s Choice Award Winners.

GEIGERRIG HYDRATION PACKS

Click Here to Visit GEIGERRIG
Camping Life "Gear of the Year" Article is Available To View and Read Under "News" on GEIGERRIG Homepage at www.GEIGERRIG.com

GEIGERRIG screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 10:24 AM
Old 04-14-2011, 10:54 AM   #103
swinada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serp View Post
Re: B.C.Bikers question about shipping options.
Sent a PM to Geigerrig asking if shipping can be via U.S. Postal Service to Canadians.
UPS and Fedex charge (excessive) brokerage fees when shipping across the border whereas USPS doesn't charge anything but the shipping costs.
I orderd my engine a couple weeks ago. I received the filter beginning of this week per USPS to northern BC. I'm still waiting for the 3lt engine....hope it still shows up. I received some fedex shipping info from Alpinesports, but I'm not sure if that was regarding this order since it does not state what was shipped. Besides that the tracking number provided in that Alpinesports e-mail was for an item going to Texas. i also received the "delivered to texas" notification 2 days later. So i hope my pack is still on the way somewhere and wasnt delivered to someone (Travis Butler) in Texas by accident.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 11:02 AM   #104
GEIGERRIG OP
Adventurer

GEIGERRIG Order

Sounds like we need to do some quick investigating and get this fixed for you. We sent you a PM with a request for some information. Please send it to bob@hubcityoutdoor.com, and we'll get right on it. We'll resolve this in minutes, I'm sure.

GEIGERRIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinada View Post
I orderd my engine a couple weeks ago. I received the filter beginning of this week per USPS to northern BC. I'm still waiting for the 3lt engine....hope it still shows up. I received some fedex shipping info from Alpinesports, but I'm not sure if that was regarding this order since it does not state what was shipped. Besides that the tracking number provided in that Alpinesports e-mail was for an item going to Texas. i also received the "delivered to texas" notification 2 days later. So i hope my pack is still on the way somewhere and wasnt delivered to someone (Travis Butler) in Texas by accident.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:31 PM   #105
Winkelfinger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Availablity in Europe?

Hi Folks
well, this sounds to good to be true, or rather too good to miss
How do you handle payment/shipment to Europe? Will be a loooooong summer in the Alps, and I don´t want to die of thirst .....

Thanx in advance for replying.
Winkelfinger is offline   Reply With Quote