Project bike: 2007 KTM LC4 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by kiwipeet, Mar 8, 2011.

1. kiwipeet

kiwipeet Uber Cyber Loafer

Oddometer:
    Err.. potentially anything and everything :dunno ... As far as I can tell it's the main ground for the entire wiring loom. The dash wasn't connected. and bulbs fuses I can replace... I'm just freaking out that I may have fizzled the ECU. fingies x'd. :patch

yep. agreed.:ddog

It'll do for now, but when I have more time, I might have it cut off and re-done.
  2. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Done: :D

Headlight mask - 5821100120070 (sorted thanks Mcguyver!!)
    Left radiator - 58335008000 done
    Radiator fan - 58435041000 done
    Radiator hose - 58435025800
    FAN CAP - 58435044000
    FAN CPL. 12V LC4 - 58435041000

Front wheel/rim (from woodies wheel works :thumb)
    Spare indicators. Not original but will get me a WOF

On its way: :lurk hurryupgoddammit!.
    Front subframe - 5821401010030 (ordered, on it's way.)
    New front tire. Dunlop 606

Ahhhhhmmmmmmmmmm... mebbe/on hold/Finkin abahtit: :hmmmmm

5820701333370B FUEL TANK LC4-ADV. CPL. 06 (Mmmm on hold for now.)
    58211001160 MASK BRACKET L/S ADV. 01 (will get this if/when I get a new tank)
    5851209200030 BRACKET 30LT TANK BLACK 06 (have straightened my one.. but I really want a straight one.)
    HEADLIGHT LOW BEAM DUKE94 - 58311010000 (might try some Mikey-bodge/macguyvering.. )
    58412020000 SUITCASE CARRIER SYSTEM (might repair/straighten the existing pannier frames. apparently these are no longer available.. really :scratch)

FLASHER CPL.FRONT L/S REAR R/S - 5841402500030 (missing a blinkykator... will include in next order.)

Not essential but nice to have:
    150002 BOLT HARDWARE KIT/TRACK PACK (a couple of mixed kits of common ktm bolts.)
  3. Te Hopo

Te Hopo Nomad

Oddometer:
    Great job so far.:clap

But heck that welding is a bit rough, I could have done a better job with my ARC welder, I hope he didn't charge you too much for that.
  4. CrazyFrog

CrazyFrog Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you have fried the ECU/CDI, I have these parts spare you can have cheap.
    Kokusan CDI CB7506 KTM #584 39031 700
    Ignition Coil IG3826: KTM #584 39006 000

Hopefully you won't need them tho:thumb
  5. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Cheers man, Thanks very much for the offer, but I think we're sorted.. :thumb

See below why...
  6. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I spent another 5 hours in the shed last night.

It started with me trying to find where the main wiring loom ground wire. I knew it could just go pretty much anywhere on teh subframe, but wanted it in the right place so that I didn't have to pull it all off and do it again later. "Uhhh i'm a dumb arse so... can I phone a friend?" On the phone to KTM tech support (Clint in Rotorua. )

Clint popped out to his shed to tell me it should screw to the subframe on the big obvious thread right in front of me.. :shog ok job done.

So I carried on, reconnect the battery... switch on, press starter.. click... nothing... :becca Time to start hunting leccy gremlins... :umph

I found an old testing light, and started going through the tracing process... Power at the battery... power at the ignition... power on/off back at the fuse box so can see the ignition switch is working, but there's nothing at the starter solenoid... According to the diagram there is another relay and diodes somewhere in the circuit... where the hell are they? And how do I test them?

It was about this point I was running out of steam when Kelly my work mate come over to give me hand, and brought a Fluke circuit tester. :pynd(Kelly was a electrical repair tech in a previous life)

[​IMG]

I showed where I had got to, power here, here and there, but not there.. I showed him the wiring diagram. I stood back and watched as Kelly got down to business with his circuit tester verifying what i had said and indvidually tested diodes, relays, grounds switches power...

It was amasing to watch... he went at it like a starved chihuahua on a pork chop.

Lots of on/off, try now.. ok, stop, do it again... Kelly had traced the power back to the Clutch switch and/or the gear/neutral indicator but it wasn't making sense. The bike was in neutral but the switch wasn't earthing out. :scratch

I thought "hang on a sec..." I pulled the clutch in and hey presto... it turns over... :patch

A bit more testing and we find the culprit... The neutral indicator isn't working. Even though the bike was in neutral, the electrics think it is in gear.

There are 2 safety switches on the KTM in the starter circuit to stop you from starting the bike in gear. One in the gearbox and 1 on the clutch. If the bike is in neutral no problem. If it's in gear you can bypass it by pulling in the clutch. Well since the switch is faulty, the bike thinks it's constantly in gear. So until I get that fixed, I just have to pull the clutch in...

Once we had diagnosed that, we continued bolting the bike back together so I can get it to the Bike shop to have the brakes certified.

This morning, on the way to the bike shop:

[​IMG]

I'm away for the weekend, and won't have bike back till next week.
  7. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    If it is indeed the switch & not the wiring from it, you already have 2 spares so don't buy one. The evil anti-wheelie carb vent EPC thingy (that you are going to junk as soon as you have a cert) is triggered by 2 identical switches next to the neutral switch so just replace one of those with an M10 cap screw & put it in the neutral sender hole.

Cheers
    Clint
  8. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Yup, confirmed. Have continuity from diode to where wire meets switch. touching tester on switch with bike in neutral doesn't get a ground. We could have double checked it by grounding the wire directly but didn't bother at the time.

Seriously... :bow

:thumb
  9. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jaybo did some work on disabling the safety lockouts which you could look at. It was covered in the LC4 index, but I can't find that quickly yet.
  10. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I dropped by the bike shop to see how the patient was doing... :ear

And the prognosis is all good :D. The bike has passed it's brake inspection, has a new front tyre and rim fitted and is ready to be picked up.

I hope to pick it up at lunchtime today and be working on it again tonight.

The front subframe arrived last week while the bike was away, so now I have all the key pieces to start reassembling it. :clap
  11. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Ripper! So you'll have it sorted to ride over on for Easter? :evil

Cheers
    Clint
  12. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    It won't be Reg'd and WOF'd until next week at the earliest. (fingies x'd) I wish it was though.. would have loved a bit of trail riding..

And I don't know quite how it's happened but it's come home from the bike shop with a flat rear tire, and they left the key on and drained the battery. :dood
  13. unstuck4x4

unstuck4x4 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really sad how you came to have this bike but im sure your mate would be over the moon with what you are doing,looks like you are doing an excellent job of rebuilding. I also had issues with getting a bike back from the shop, took my vf to the local honda shop to get some new tires and they actually SCRATCHED arrows into my nice gold rims(directional arrows presumably).Of course the apprentice denied anything. well done mate.Awesome project.:clap
  14. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I managed to get the new front subframe on and have untangled most of the wiring. Lots of fiddly little jobs, stripping wires & replacing connectors and straightening little bent bits and pieces. Oh... and cable ties... lootts of cable ties... oh how I love thee... let me count the ways... :nomystery

The new subframe didn't quite line up correctly with the tank mount. Suggesting that the tank mount isn't quite straight, so we adjusted it a little with a cunning application of a crowbar.

Dad wanted to bend my nice new subframe to make it fit the bent tank mount. :huh

"No dad... we're not bending the straight bit... how about we straighten the already bent bit eh?" Ok.. thats not exactly what I said. But thats what I was trying to say. :ace

The dash lights up, the horn now works, and the rear indicators work too. (still need to add/reconnect the front ones.)

There's still lots of little jobs to go but a few more nights in the shed should have sorted. :thumb
  15. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I spent Easter weekend in Rotorua with the inlaws, trying my hand at fly fishing. Not a sausage... or a fish for that matter. Personally I think the fish where doing it wrong.

Jess and I caught up with Clint and Rosie for a few beers and a great lunch. :kbasathanks guys :thumb

Got back mid-day Monday and got back out to the shed, trying to get the beasty back in one piece. It's coming together nicely.

I glued the headlight back together, but have to wait for the glue to set and harden properly before reinstalling the headlight.

I fit the temporary indicators in the fairing and am almost ready to install it except I have wait for the glue on the headlight to dry. :snore

I've called the Engineer and penciled in his inspection for tommorrow.. and I've called VTNZ, and have booked in certification for Friday. (Fingies x'd)

:eek1
  16. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Last night I got the bike back into 1 piece-"ish".

The headlights took a couple of attempts to install because:
    1: you must preassemble the headlights onto the bracket before bolting to the subframe, and
    2: The bracket wouldn't fit because I was trying to install it backwards :jump

Dad and a mate (Vaughan) lent some extra pairs of hands and helped provide the necessary amounts of swearing required to install/uninstall/re-install the fairing. :ace

And about by about 10:00pm She's just about in on piece and ready for inspection, I forgot to screw the side panels on and bolt the seat down. :doh

Edit: Inspectagadget actually wanted the bike down at his workshop to measure steering head angles etc..

So at lunch time today I ripped home and frantically bolted missing bits and pieces to the bike... side panels... oh crap no wing mirror...found one done.. The seat goes on.. fuel lines aren't on tank... done.. Petrol? find a splash of petrol in the mower can... cable tied the old number plate on for appearances... oh shit no bash plate.. too bad don't need it.. Dogh! the back tyre is half flat... find a compressor to inflate tyre... is that it? phew!!! oh shit battery is half flat... Find the jumper cables.. Sparked her up and we're off!

And so, although it was unplanned and completely unexpected.. today I rode the 640 down the road... for the first time... :ricky

Lots going through my mind as it head down the road, but after a few blocks I start to think about where I am what im doing and how the bike is goig. My first impressions: Shit. Mike wasn't kidding when he told me it vibes.. and geez it's tall. Taller than either my old 950 Adv or 950SM.

But I got to the workshop without any dramas, and dropped her off. Fingies x'd it'll pass inspection without any hiccups.
  17. Brother Gav

Brother Gav n00b

Oddometer:
    Well done fella. I hope you have less red tape to go through than I did with the Triumph. Good job.:wink:
  18. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    I picked up the Bike again last night... with a piece of paper saying... It passed the engineers repair inspection!!!! :clap

So.. tommorrow she's booked in for certification, reg and wof. (fingies x'd.)

Tonight i'll be in the shed again tinkering and tidying up, maybe even a bit of a wash/polish.

Yeah... I'm preparing for the worst. I'm going to see him today and show him what paper work I have, and see if he's happy with what i've got. Otherwise tommorrow I might be made to jump through the same hoops you did.
  19. clintnz

Oddometer:
    Great stuff! Good luck with the rest of the paperwork.

We are planning a Waioeka-Matawai-Motu ride on Sunday if yer keen. :evil

Cheers
  20. kiwipeet

Oddometer:
    Yep sounds good (assuming the bike passes tommorrow), I'm keen. :thumb

Weather isn't looking too flash but hope to do some shake-down testing on Saturday... as opposed to shake to bits..

(must remember to pack some tools, cable ties, locktite, jumper cables etc etc :patch)