new plastics
suspension?
Hydraulic clutch?
Wheels?
Fuel Tank, I like top fill better

Does it ride better??? I feel a test ride coming on soon
whole DIFFERENT frame
whole DIFFERENT gearbox
all DIFFERENT plastics etc.. etc.. etc.... The FI is SIMILAR though..

ride better? prob subjective. Surely much different, totally different geometry and wight distribution..
LRPct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #32
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
I'd say the OEM suspension/settings on the TE449 are better then the G450X out of the box. Same kind of great traction, albeit the TE449/511 and 310 are coming with Karoo's as the standard equipment tire. Last long and will do great in gravel at speeds, not so good on rutted/rocky root type riding.

The transmission ratio in the TE is tighter overall between 1st and 6th. In off the floor trim the bike is good gearing for trail duty, but too short for any real dual sporting and when you get the 6th gear up to a safe 65mph cruise you have a first gear you have to be doing 15mph in to not have to use the clutch, typical Husky close ratio were are gonna race to the top of the alp and back and no overdrive needed. Would love to put their engineers out in the Desert or even around these parts on a 200+ mile day dual sport with the way they have the TE's geared.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:22 PM   #33
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
I'd say the OEM suspension/settings on the TE449 are better then the G450X out of the box. Same kind of great traction, albeit the TE449/511 and 310 are coming with Karoo's as the standard equipment tire. Last long and will do great in gravel at speeds, not so good on rutted/rocky root type riding.

The transmission ratio in the TE is tighter overall between 1st and 6th. In off the floor trim the bike is good gearing for trail duty, but too short for any real dual sporting and when you get the 6th gear up to a safe 65mph cruise you have a first gear you have to be doing 15mph in to not have to use the clutch, typical Husky close ratio were are gonna race to the top of the alp and back and no overdrive needed. Would love to put their engineers out in the Desert or even around these parts on a 200+ mile day dual sport with the way they have the TE's geared.
I have read many of your posts here and on other forums and you seem to have a vast knowledge of these motors.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

1. I read about your engine failure, and am curious if Husky made any changes to possibly beef up the bottom end. Have they increased piston life on the Husky?

2. What are the valve check intervals like? Do they seem to move often?

3. Any small obscure wear items that should be closely inspected with these motors on a regular basis? For instance my YZ450f SM bike was hard on timing chains, so I would replace them at 10 hours, or every other valve check after having one stretch to the point it would jump timing on downshifts around 15 hours.

I have read almost the entire G450 thread and these are the questions I was left with.

TIA
little_twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:03 PM   #34
Xcuvator
Justa Venturer

Oddometer: 1,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post

I agree, I think the transmission is where Husky is striking out. The only thing that keeps me from getting a 449/510 is the gear box. The fuel capacity is an issue, but not a deal breaker. Can't they see how KTM has been successful by offering more of what riders want?
Why not a CR for the TC/TXC and a WR for the TE? They know how to build a WR, the 610 is a very good example.
If they waent back to a WR offering in the 2sts, it would be nothing but good for sales as well.

So much riding-so little time
Xcuvator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #35
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_twin View Post
I have read many of your posts here and on other forums and you seem to have a vast knowledge of these motors.

If you don't mind I have a couple of questions.

1. I read about your engine failure, and am curious if Husky made any changes to possibly beef up the bottom end. Have they increased piston life on the Husky?piston life wasn't the issue in my case, lower rod bearing was and HSQ has spec'd a better quality rod bearing with a DLC coated cage. At 100 hours piston wasn't half bad and others who I know A and AA riders have made it into 150/160 hours on original piston but all of their riding was offroad only

2. What are the valve check intervals like? Do they seem to move often? Seem to be pretty solid in not sucking into the head. I had DJH replace my exhaust valves at the 100 hour failure I had and he couldn't find any significant mods to make without re-inventing the wheel. Threw in new oem Exhaust valve because they could use it.

3. Any small obscure wear items that should be closely inspected with these motors on a regular basis? For instance my YZ450f SM bike was hard on timing chains, so I would replace them at 10 hours, or every other valve check after having one stretch to the point it would jump timing on downshifts around 15 hours. On the G450 the biggest thing is swing arm pivot maintenance. About the only real common theme I've seen from the BMW to the HSQ transition is that the shifter lever will loosen on the shaft after a few hours break-in use and if you just tighten up the pinch bolt that solves that, however if you do not remove it and anti-sieze it getting it off down the road can be very interesting process. Torque limiter is really the only odd-ball maintenance thing that I had to do at 70 hours, felt kind of like a slipping clutch but not really. HSQ is on the third generation torque limiter to my knowledge, so hopefully a much longer service lifer. Engine needs to be taken out of frame on the G450X and not sure if you can get the side cover off the case in the HSQ frame without removing engine. It can be done on the G450 by cutting off the couple of bolts that are too long to come out and hit the frame riser, then taper the cover holes and replace the old bolts with a tapered bolt and no need to remove engine from G450X either.

I have read almost the entire G450 thread and these are the questions I was left with.

TIA
As for overall service interval, it would appear Husqvarna has a 6000mile/10,000km rebuilt interval recommended for the TE449/511. I am waiting for confirmation on that with the IT tech dept as there is a misprint in the table found in the owner's manual.

I found clutch life to be VERY good, at over 3600 miles/100 hours the clutch pack was less then 25% worn per the specs from a new pack to minimum thickness.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #36
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

That is what I was hoping to hear. Thanks,

I cant wait to pick up my new bike next week!
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #37
Pilbara
In the flow...

Oddometer: 1,570
Gearbox messing....

Blatent post to both threads as it is related, any one have intel on the interchangeability of gears between the G450X and TE449?

I note the BMWs of HSQ guise actually have a 6 speed box.

Can a 6th gear be slotted into the 450?

Cheers
Pilbara
Pilbara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #38
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,330
Agreed, this is an all new design despite any inspiration or commonality with the old 450 BMW...more along the lines of how the KTM RFS series was inspired by Husabergs (after the former bought them and milked them for their fourstroke technology) and by extension the orginal Husky 510 the latter was based on!

I'm very curious to see how the new TE449/511 machines work out.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 AM   #39
Max Kool
Xtankteam™

Oddometer: 3,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilbara View Post
Blatent post to both threads as it is related, any one have intel on the interchangeability of gears between the G450X and TE449?

I note the BMWs of HSQ guise actually have a 6 speed box.

Can a 6th gear be slotted into the 450?

Cheers
Pilbara
I have the feeling the six speed box slots right into the BMW engine. However, I can imagine though you need the COMPLETE six speed box, not only two gears and the shifting drum.
Max Kool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #40
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
Glad the WEC guys are winning but from looking at the results from Zip-ty racing here in the states.. the husky has been the DNF king of the desert.

David Kamo and Nick Burson had to push his bike to the finish at the parker 400
think both has DNFed 4of the 5 national hare and hounds ..

best results here in the states for the Husky is winning the 2 stk national MX race a few weeks ago..

it the old saying goes.. Win on Sunday Sell on Monday. I'd stay far away from the Husky 449 until the pro's start finishing constantly on those bikes.

at least Jason Thomas is finishing well on the 250 at the GNCCs

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:25 PM   #41
Stinky
Team Hematoma

Oddometer: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo View Post
it the old saying goes.. Win on Sunday Sell on Monday. I'd stay far away from the Husky 449 until the pro's start finishing constantly on those bikes.
If the bike is reliable and suits my needs, I couldn't care less about race results. I'm not a competitive rider, and I don't push a bike to 20% of what a good competitive rider would. I suspect that is true of most of us here. YMMV.
Old 04-16-2011, 08:25 PM   #42
2wheeldog
Adventourer

Oddometer: 13
G450x vs Te449

Thanks for the comparison - Although I'm loving my 2010 G450 - so much so that I thought it worth invensting in armor and and a big tank for it - I 'm still very interested in the new HSQs. Something inherently trustworthy about the double cradle frame, japanese suspension, and deep dirt bike tradition that are hard to resist.
2wheeldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #43
kenaroo
I am because i ride

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
If the bike is reliable and suits my needs, I couldn't care less about race results. I'm not a competitive rider, and I don't push a bike to 20% of what a good competitive rider would. I suspect that is true of most of us here. YMMV.

I hear ya.. No doubt the Pros are rough on bikes and break more things than us mortals.. But if those guys keep breaking.. that translates into long term reliability issues for us..

Not saying the new husky is a POS.. Just saying I'd wait a year or so for the team/factory to fix the issues the bike "might" have. after all it is the first generation/year "husky" design.

that translates as to a win on Sunday for them and you get home with a smile on your face after an awesome ride with no issues..

what does your garage look like
http://www.garage-interiors.com

kenaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 02:00 PM   #44
Ruffus
Dirty Old Mudder

Oddometer: 4,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenaroo View Post
Glad the WEC guys are winning but from looking at the results from Zip-ty racing here in the states.. the husky has been the DNF king of the desert.

David Kamo and Nick Burson had to push his bike to the finish at the parker 400
think both has DNFed 4of the 5 national hare and hounds ..

best results here in the states for the Husky is winning the 2 stk national MX race a few weeks ago..

at least Jason Thomas is finishing well on the 250 at the GNCCs
Borrowed from a thread on Cafe Husky

TEAM HUSQVARNA HAS ANOTHER WINNING WEEKEND
Graffunder Grabs WORCS Win While Mandi Mastin Takes AMA Enduro And Makes Another ISDE Team

April 19, 2011 – Corona, CA - It was another big weekend for Team Husqvarna as Cory Graffunder won the Pro2 class at the WORCS race in Anza, California, while Mandi Mastin won the Women’s Class at the AMA National Enduro in West Point, Tennessee. Graffunder’s WORCS win was a first for the Zip-Ty Racing TXC449 rider, but Mastin’s Enduro/ISDE qualifier victory on her Hall's Cycles TXC250 was old hat to the multi-time Enduro champ and Six Day medalist.

Consistency has kept the Canadian export in contention for the WORCS Pro2 title so far this season, but every race has been a battle with archrival Justin Seeds… this one the closest yet as less than 2 seconds separated the two after nearly an hour and a half of racing! Despite smashing his foot on the first lap, Cory set a torrid pace. “I had a good start and was 2nd right away, so it sucked that I banged that rock on the first lap!” In fact Graffunder and Seeds’ battle took them past many of the Pro Class competitors as they finished just behind crowd favorite Ryan Hughes in 13th and 14th overall.

“I was chasing Seeds on the first lap when we hit the Pro rock section and he opted to go around, so I jumped ‘The Gorge’ and passed him,” Graffunder explains. “I hit so hard my hands flew off the bars, but somehow I did not crash! That rocky gulch jump was kind of deceiving… it was a downhill run-up and you had to be careful, but that is how I was able to keep Seeds in check.”

“On my last pass through the pits I read that I had a 13-second lead on the pitboard, but by the time we neared the MX track, looked back and Seeds was charging! For the last few minutes we both went hammer-down, bar-to-bar all the way to the finish line. I could hear him coming up beside me in every turn!” This win puts Graffunder just 6 points out of 1st place in the WORCS Pro2 class after four rounds.

Meanwhile Women’s champ Mandi Mastin continues to enjoy her new Hall’s Husqvarna TXC250, winning the AMA National Enduro/ISDE Qualifier (International Six Days Enduro) combo. “The weather was great for the day of the race, but for the two days leading up to it, things weren’t so pretty! The area experienced 3 inches of rain on Friday night alone, so there were a couple of mudholes here and there and the terrain was kind of slippery,” explained the multi-time women’s Enduro champion.

“I rode conservatively since it was so slick early on, but throughout the day the trails seemed to dry and continue to tack up!” Taking advantage of the traction, Mandi managed to make it look easy... well, easy for her! “I hold the lead in the series with a perfect 4 for 4 so far. Also, I have qualified to go to the ISDE again this year in Finland. This will be the 10th time that I have raced the ISDE and I have to say that I’m pretty darn excited for August to get here!”

“Talk about the wild west, Husky wins on the West Coast and in West Point,” exclaims Husqvarna’s National Marketing Manager Corey Eastman. “Congratulations to Cory Graffunder for winning WORCS and to Mandi Mastin for qualifying for the ISDE for the 10th time! This is exactly what we mean by our Ride More message!” To help everyone get the “Ride More” message, Eastman notes that Husqvarna is offering fantastic financing (2.99% APR for 2011 machines and .99% for 2010 and earlier models), as well as terms up to 60 months.

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you
can feel the true warmth.: wisdom by ??

Reverse Darwinism...he's only alive because he's to stupid to die. : wisdom by AZRamjet

06 Husky TE510
Ruffus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #45
little_twin
Gnarly Adventurer

SO, I have some miles on my TE449 and I need oil filters and a service manual.........Oil filters are not a problem, but the service manual is proving to be a tricky thing to get my hands on. Anybody have any ideas?