Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2011, 08:12 AM   #16
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
I guess I was one of those who asked about it to begin with.

I'd definitely agree with your idea of reusing the stock beak extension; that was exactly what I was envisioning. I'd suggest not following the same angle as the stock beak, it's probably a bit too steep. I think that if it were five inches longer on that angle, it would end up too close to the tire.

I think that some kind of ribbing underneath, or some other way to add rigidity, would be nice for the extended length. A beak isn't heavy, but it would probably help.
You could be right..... I just got home last night...... On a/c unit to install....and assemble one dining room table and 6 chairs..... The beak is third on the list......

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:14 AM   #17
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout View Post
You've seen this one?

This should be another cool project! Can't wait to see what you come up with!
I don`t think this is much longer than stock....... and ....umm.....the designer should umm.....walk the plank.....imho....

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 08:17 AM   #18
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvWolf View Post
What if you use the pink foam board to mill out the specs of the beek and then vaccuum form the tooling (foam board) out of a more flexable plastic.

RCBI- will allow you to rent a student for $40-50/ an hour tools included. All the cool thing that we want to really build with. Anyway if we got enough riders to pull the money together we could probably pull this off for pretty cheap. The more riders in the pool the cheaper the cost. 3-D modeling with one of the trace guns. I could take my beek to them right on the bike or take it off and they should have the model done by the first hour- $ 50. Customize to specs length/ distance. (3-D Modeling) send it to the milling machine to make the tool. (2-3 hr. tops if that) Then it is the option of carbon fiber or plastic vaccum or injection. If you get what I mean.

http://rcbi.org/wmspage.cfm?parm1=30
That is all good......but I will be done with 5 of those before the first guy arrives........ Ok.... this could be a great idea for some folks..... But for me...it`s overkill, and I`d rather put that money to work somewhere else..... If I was making an oversize fuel tank that had to fit the inside of a sub frame..... then it might be a different story.....

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 08:22 AM   #19
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
That thing is FUGLY.

What I've been envisioning, and it sounds exactly like what you're talking about Erling, is something similar to the beak on the HP2 Enduro, just shaped consistently with teh 800GS beak.

REALLY, looking forward to this.
Yeppers Scott...... I only have 3 concerns.....
1: The stock beak is under my suspicion of being a catalyst in creating a lot of turbulence on the 8GS. Will a larger beak make this worse..... Not necessarily...but it could....and I don`t wan`t any more... Only one way to find out.

2: How to make a longer unit....without breaking the nice stock look.....Only one way to find out....

3: The mount for the beak is string enough to handle an extra 5-6 inches.... Only one way to find out..

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 08:30 AM   #20
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
3: The mount for the beak is string enough to handle an extra 5-6 inches.... Only one way to find out..
If you're referring to the bolts themselves, they'll be plenty strong enough. The Touratech HID/fog lights use those bolts to mount to as well, and there's zero problem even on very rough offroad.
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:41 AM   #21
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dendrophobe View Post
If you're referring to the bolts themselves, they'll be plenty strong enough. The Touratech HID/fog lights use those bolts to mount to as well, and there's zero problem even on very rough offroad.
More the plastic.... There are a lot of plastic on this bike used as structural members..... adding 5-6 inches....might make it flop around.....or perhaps....crack the "structural plastic" the beak mounts to....

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 11:47 AM   #22
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,346
Quote:
More the plastic.... There are a lot of plastic on this bike used as structural members..... adding 5-6 inches....might make it flop around.....or perhaps....crack the "structural plastic" the beak mounts to....

Erling
Is there a way to reinforce the beak? The HP2 uses an external beak support but I'd prefer not to do that...
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #23
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Is there a way to reinforce the beak? The HP2 uses an external beak support but I'd prefer not to do that...
Yes. And that would be simple to do...... But the more I look at this....( looking in the garage while getting tools for the table assembly...).... I see that it would next to impossible to make a new beak....and reuse the black plastic......Very complex lines and angles..... but now leaning towards.....making a new front plastic.....longer off course....and reuse the stock painted beak...... Some serious design went into the stock beak....and it will be hard to break the lines...... well....ehh... successfully...

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 12:24 PM   #24
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,455
Quote:
Yes. And that would be simple to do...... But the more I look at this....( looking in the garage while getting tools for the table assembly...).... I see that it would next to impossible to make a new beak....and reuse the black plastic......Very complex lines and angles..... but now leaning towards.....making a new front plastic.....longer off course....and reuse the stock painted beak...... Some serious design went into the stock beak....and it will be hard to break the lines...... well....ehh... successfully...

Erling
That was what I had in my head when I fist looked into this thread... taking the stock black front piece and glue foam (of something) onto the front which you could carve into whatever shape you want, and then use the whole thing as a mold that you can do the layups over.

personally, i kinda like the fugly beak on the first page. It seems like the recurve on the front would block a lot of dirt and debris from getting flung forward and ending up on the headlight/helmet while the shorter overall length would be better for vibration issues
Old 04-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #25
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 444
The pictured beak would be "too much" in my book, but would fit in to the name I have given mine (see sig). Which ever option (full part replacement, just the black bit) you come up with that is solid and looks decent I'd be interested in just from an aesthetics side (beauty in the eye, etc) along with a functional side as secondary.

Looking forward to what you come up with.
Old 04-16-2011, 03:58 PM   #26
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 412
Please forgive this stupid question...on a bike with a fender, What is the "beak" for precisely?
Old 04-16-2011, 04:10 PM   #27
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
Please forgive this stupid question...on a bike with a fender, What is the "beak" for precisely?
To create turbulence on the rider.....

Erling
Old 04-16-2011, 08:35 PM   #28
AdvWolf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 280
Talking

Quote:

Erling
That is what I was thinking with the whole tooling and vacuumed formed plastic beak. BUT will be interested to see the final product. I will just lurk along the way.
AdvWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 PM   #29
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,440
It will be interesting to see how you can extend the plastic tip much without risking it getting too close to the tire on full compression. If you change the angle at that point its gonna look pretty funky.

If anyone can pull it off, you can!
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:41 AM   #30
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH View Post
I am sure it will end up looking something like this.

They seem to always resemble Spy vs. Spy.
Me and a mate always say the front of his KTM 690SM looks like Spy vs Spy. If I was to get one, I'd get a white one, just for the comedy value of the contrast with his black one.

EDIT: I have been looking at the new G650GS the past couple of weekends. On that, the beak rotates with the front end, rather than staying "straight on" the way larger GSes do. I wonder if with a more upright angled beak (like the F8's) and with an extension on it, you could just ditch the lower fender entirely. Modding the F8's to operate in this way would be rather tricky, but not impossible. The only thing I wouldn't like about it would be the aesthetics when the bike isn't going in a straight line (IE every time it is parked with the steering lock on/cornering), but I'd be prepared to sacrifice that for the functionality.

Ceri JC screwed with this post 04-17-2011 at 02:49 AM
Ceri JC is offline   Reply With Quote