Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2011, 09:21 AM   #811
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Oddometer: 3,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
Boy, that's a new one. Usually it's just "You better buy before someone else does!"

Fred
Actually, this came from the guy responsible for making sure motorcycles are on the floor when a customer comes in. Said he can't get any bikes from anywhere and that BMW germany has informed him that there won't be any for several months, possibly till near the end of the year. BMW production can't get the electronics they need from Japan to complete the motorcycles they are building. Re-tooling plants and moving operations isn't a simple or quick thing to do. Though it's underway it's cut down stock supply to a large extent.

Production of electronics in Japan has been significantly impacted.

The same issues are being discussed in all technology sectors that rely upon a global parts network for assembly and repair. Sony. Dell laptops. IBM, Ford even. No one can get parts that they would have normally gotten from Japan and the ones that are left in warehouses are being quickly snapped up. Motorcycle parts aren't "top" priority in most manufacturing operations so we're bound to see delays etc as other sectors are given priority.

Flashback screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 09:33 AM
Flashback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #812
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Request for advice: from someone who has gone through a Scouts complete life cycle.

I've got about 3 mm of tread (6,100 miles of use) left in the center of my rear but the outer knobs are still going strong. Planning to ride 400 miles-ish on Sunday, about 200 miles in the dirt and on trail. A 50/50 ride with hill climbs, rocks, mud (lots of mud) and sand.

I'm on the fence about changing the tire before the ride or burning it up over the ride then changing it when I get home. I took it out for a short 2 mile dirt run over lunch and could feel the rear slipping a bit in soft-hard pack but not enough for me to say "I must change this tire".

The other issue is that I'm leaving in 3 weeks to go to the islands for the summer and won't be in the states riding the bike again till I get back in August. Was hoping I wouldn't need to change the tire till then so I'm biased to not change it even though I'm thinking I probably should. It'll blow the schedule I set for myself for tire usage.

Can't make a decision. How does a totally burnt Scout handle as it deteriorates to nothing? Will it bring me back from the ride? What should I do?

Flashback screwed with this post 04-15-2011 at 10:28 AM
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 AM   #813
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashback View Post
Request for advice:...Can't make a decision...What should I do?
Sell the bike and all your belongings and move to the islands. Otherwise, change the tire in August.

Fred
FredRydr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 01:55 PM   #814
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Got a call this morning about the K60s. Looks like the 150s are now delayed further. "Sometime in May". The term 'vapour-ware' comes to mind
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 04:09 PM   #815
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 857
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Got a call this morning about the K60s. Looks like the 150s are now delayed further. "Sometime in May". The term 'vapour-ware' comes to mind
Haha they've been vapor-ware for quite some time now!
2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:53 PM   #816
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Don't let the website fool you Heidi no longer makes a 150. That was a product that floated into to the clouds long ago.

We're in for some tornado spawning storms tomorrow and the gamelands going to be extra muddy on Sunday so I decided to pull the Heidi off. It's probably got 800 to a 1000 miles left on it but it with the center being as flat and smooth as it is right now I'd just be spinning my tires in the mud (pun intended). Gonna hang onto it though, in case I run out of tires some time and need to put one on in a pinch.

Guess that ends my Scout experiment: The usable life under normal conditions for me of this 140 Scout was approximately 6,000 miles. Could have stretched it to 7,000 but not with much performance left in the tire.

Now to decide what to put on -> Big Block or the other Heidi?

Old 04-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #817
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Disclaimer: I don't want to start another "Balance or not Balance" thread...

To those of you that are putting the K60's on yourself have you found any major differences in how many ounces are going on etc? Last tire change I elected not to balance and quite frankly I didn't notice any difference. IMHO only....I am neither a high speed or knee dragger.

Again.....just interested in K60 feedback. Thanks
In my experience, having mounted just short of 100 Heidi's (K60 & K76) they take half (at most) the weight of comparable tires.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
AKtracks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #818
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Flash,
If your dealer is telling you he's paying retail, he's playing you. I'm a retailer, and while I agree that far too many of my counterparts are charging too much for these tires, they are doing so based on their own greed, not necessity.

Adventure Cycleworks Providing support to the Adventure Touring Motorcyclist in Fairbanks, Alaska

-
Old 04-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #819
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKtracks View Post
In my experience, having mounted just short of 100 Heidi's (K60 & K76) they take half (at most) the weight of comparable tires.
Tx....
Old 04-15-2011, 08:52 PM   #820
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

I certainly hope I don't ever have to fully change a Scout on a ride. That is one stiff carcass. Spooned my last one on. Took a breaker bar on the spoon to get muscle that last bit over the hub. They feel like you could ride them without air and not damage your hub.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #821
AKtracks
Kilted Fükengrüver

Quote:
I certainly hope I don't ever have to fully change a Scout on a ride. That is one stiff carcass. Spooned my last one on. Took a breaker bar on the spoon to get muscle that last bit over the hub. They feel like you could ride them without air and not damage your hub.
Agreed...100%. One of the toughest tires I've ever come across.

-
Old 04-16-2011, 12:48 PM   #822
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
I was just talking to one of our inmates about the K60's sidewall strength. He was amazed when he experienced a slight "wobble" at speed, pulled over to have a look, and discovered a .45 cal sized hole in his rear sidewall. No clue what caused it but he felt he could have ridden the bike home that way. He trailered it home just in case.

I had a slow leak in my front that I only discovered doing a weekly pressure gauge check after mounting the tire (I always squeeze them before hopping on though - felt stiff). Pressure was zero. I don't know how long I had been riding on the sheer strength of that tire. Obviously my squeeze check method has been shelved while I run these tires.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #823
Flashback
Mommys Lil Monster

Beat the piss out of my Scout today in Holly Shelter Gameland. After doing a very hard 350 miles (200+ street, near 150 off road), I wanted to give some feedback.

The tire went on brand new 2 days ago. @ 400 miles I have almost completely worn the center lugs flat to the stabilizer strip. But, it must be said, that this is the first time I actually rode the tires as aggressively as I feel comfortable riding. My previous Scout and it's 6,000 miles was worn out in a relaxed "touring" style.

Today I ran ralleye style on a bike as light as I could make it. Took the tire up to 95 mph in the sand, sliding around corners, wheeling through mud holes, kicking up gravel. It did fine in all conditions till about 45-55 mph at which time it couldn't keep up with the torque of the bike and started to wash out causing rear shimmying as it tried and failed to grip in the sand/loose gravel.. By about 75 mph I was throttling back, keeping a strict eye on terrain, and wishing I had a real knob on the rear. It sux to get smoked in the straight away by a 650 thumper.

The other issue I had with the Scout in the fast sand was it's center vs side lug differential. The center would slide around at high speeds, unable to grip (duh) but as soon as I'd lean the bike over the side lugs would connect and my power-slide would turn into a torque ridden jolt.

We also did several miles of tight single track, tree fall jumping, and deep mud hole crossing. The Scout did exceptionally well in this environment and I kept up with the 400s/450s no problem. The only issue with it's performance was in the pine forest. It didn't like running on a pine straw carpet. Washed out all over the place like it does on wet grass. Learned to master the power-slide turn in the tight forest LOL>

In the mud the Scout rear out-performed the Shinko front, but then again, we were burying the bikes and only the best knobs perform well in that environment.

Overall I was fairly impressed with the Scout under the conditions of the ride, though I want to burn this tire up quickly now so that I can go back to a true knob. Since summer riding is here, and seeing how quickly I burned through the first 5 mils, I"m guessing I'll burn this tire up around 4,000 miles.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:26 PM   #824
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 655
I'm still gonna wait and give the 150 "Scout" a try assuming it ever arrives. My hope is that it'll be as good a tire for what I do as the TKC80 but give me more than 2000 miles on the rear. For my trip this summer, I'll hit that TransLab at around the 2500 mile point and I'll need some bite for the ride across Labrador.

Right now, as I look for a backup, I have a Kenda Big Block ready to go on. Will see how it does.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:24 AM   #825
MCCadders
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Noob question : 140 v 150?

Guys,

Applogies in advance for a nooby question. I was hoping to get a 150 rear for my 800GS (doing part of the TAT in June), but as everybody has said they're like rocking horse sh*t at the moment, few and far between .

Whats the difference between 140 and 150, something to do with the profile??? They seem to be easier to get hold of than the 150's, (again, noob question so dont shoot me!).

I'm not an agressive rider but need something bit more substancial than the stock tires for the TAT, could I get away with the 140 on stock rims or no.....??

All questions and p*ss taking replies welcome
"Just drop yer elbow and give 'er, once you're committed f*ckin hang on" DRCOOL EOAR 2012
MCCadders is online now   Reply With Quote