Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2011, 07:35 AM   #241
MoBill
Smiles when says dat

Oddometer: 13,528
Likewise, looking forward to it--I think the high water made the event. Loved it.

I'm always shittin' bricks on the ones that are just below the seat--before going in, but aren't they fantastic once you're in the drink?

Loved it. Glad to meet you and looking forward to seeing you next time...and to this build. Found it after lurkin' your profile.
MoBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #242
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,896
So, did you ever test the rotor for continuity?

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #243
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,799
oh, yeah, the rotor had none. I hit it with the DF and got a brightly burning light, and I also crossed the rings with a screwdriver (brushes lifted) and got a brightly burning light.

SO it seems the rotor was certainly fuct. Confirmed by RIck, and he sent me a new one, which arrived just about two hours too late to take it to the pine barrens, but I decided to take the 450 instead, and it was a blast not the same panache, of course, but I had fun, nonetheless. This is my second omega rotor, and this one was installed on Jan 10 of '09. Probably has less than 20K miles on it.

At the same time I was checking the rotor, I noticed the brush wire where it solders to the plate was totally freaking loose, so after trying to re-solder the wire to a 1mm thick plate ( wtf who thought THAT up?) I went ahead and bought the brushes with the ring terminal crimped on, from Rick as well.

Everything is in the barn tonight, (except I too the Odyssey out of it to put in the girlfriend's 1150.)

Bike should be ready by the Ontario Ride if I'm lucky

Oh hey Lornce, I also got a hold of one of those Emerald drive shafts, with the little suppository shaped cush drives, if you want detailed pics or anything.

I had thought that maybe the loose wire was the problem all along... could it be developing high resistance heat in the rotor if that wire is loose? Is that what maybe overheatedthe rotor inside or something? Similar to corrosion causing voltage drop causing higher amps required, etc..? I mean, this right here is the definition of a shitty connection in the charging system, thats for sure. The brushes with ring terminals should help a lot.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 PM   #244
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
Bike should be ready by the Ontario Ride if I'm lucky
Which "Ontario Ride", Stage? Are you coming to EOAR on the May 27th - 29th weekend?

Oh hey Lornce, I also got a hold of one of those Emerald drive shafts, with the little suppository shaped cush drives, if you want detailed pics or anything.
Thanks, Stage. I've had a good look at one of those impressive looking pieces. What I'm curious about is seeing one with a few thousand miles on it and guaging the state of the circlip/circlip interface.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:07 PM   #245
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Planning on doing the Memorial Day Ontario Rolling Rally thing. You going? And when I get my rear diff back from Anton, I was going to put in the new shaft and start putting some miles on it. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #246
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Planning on doing the Memorial Day Ontario Rolling Rally thing. You going? And when I get my rear diff back from Anton, I was going to put in the new shaft and start putting some miles on it. Will let you know how it goes.
I'll be at EOAR (Eastern Ontario Adventure Rally) don't know anything about Memorial Day Rolling Rally? Sounds interesting, too bad there's a conflict.

If that's in Drift's neck of the woods, it'll be awesome. Some of the best dualsport riding in the province in that area, imho.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:57 PM   #247
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
I'll be at EOAR (Eastern Ontario Adventure Rally) don't know anything about Memorial Day Rolling Rally? Sounds interesting, too bad there's a conflict.

If that's in Drift's neck of the woods, it'll be awesome. Some of the best dualsport riding in the province in that area, imho.

Thread's been hiding out in Northeast, and not in Canada

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636024
Old 04-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #248
Lornce
Lost In Place

Quote:
Thread's been hiding out in Northeast, and not in Canada

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=636024
That sounds like a ton of fun. If I wasn't already booked for EOAR I'd be tempted to join the ride.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:54 PM   #249
Jay.T
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Have an HPMGuy, hard urethane, and its probably got maybe 15K miles on it? I'm beginning to get confused, since in between not maintaining it, I'm swapping out stuff regularly :lol I remember thinking I was passing the recommended 10K grease interval, and thinking "thats too soon to dig in and remove the shaft." Maybe, maybe not!

So I have another shaft to try out, one of those Emerald ones with the little suppositories for cush, so when I get the Anton-re-man'ed FD back, I'll put the new shaft in. This time, I just put the new FD on without taking off the swingarm.

Thanks for the recommendation on the charger... I will check it out.

The vibe is weird, its through the whole bike, like handlebars, pegs, and seat.

Have some cool pics, but forgot the MAc power cord, today, lol... almost out of batteries, (again!) will see if I cant scam a co-workers computer for a bit.

Looks like i'll get the rotor probably on Thursday, and leaving Friday afternoon, after a half day of work. Never a dull moment!
I also picked up one of these Emerald shafts. I tried to "dry" fit it with a spare swing arm I have laying around after reading that the yoke on the FD side is larger than the BMW shaft. And it is. Another fella across the pond has ground down the casting marks on the swing arm to get it to slide down. I picked up the bits, have not tried it yet.
Jay.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM   #250
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

thanks for the heads up. Will check it out soon as it can get changed out...
Old 04-19-2011, 11:42 AM   #251
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
I know you don't have anything to do like chase kids and work a day job or anything Jason.

So when you get time, I'd appreciate some detailed pics of the 7 or 8 types of driveshafts you have acquired.

just drop me a line and link to your smug acct or if you really get ambitious and do a writeup, that would be good to.

I have a driveshaft that's OEM with about 50k on it and I think I'm due to start looking at options.

Please?
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #252
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

heh-

Dont have a stock one in hand anymore, but I do have the HPM one in the bike. Its the same, outwardly, only the damping material is different, and the cardans are circliped and zerked, as opposed to staked and buttkiss. When I have both out, I will certainly do.

Here's last night's funny story:

Went to install the ROtor last night- and discovered I have one of the earlier 76mm diameter 400w Omega systems, so the 81mm rotor I got is too BIG.

Honestly thought the earlier versions were 450w, anyway, although I recall there being a slight increase at some point, butI put this system in probably more than 3 years ago...

Anyway, a quick call to Rick and he is sending me a 450w Stator.

Every little bit of extra wattage will help me

This would have driven me right over the edge on Friday LAst night I was jsut laughing my ass off

Thanks again, Rick.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:27 PM   #253
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
This would have driven me right over the edge on Friday LAst night I was jsut laughing my ass off
There is no succeed.
There is no win.
There is only endure and learn to laugh.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #254
Stagehand OP
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
There is no succeed.
There is no win.
There is only endure and learn to laugh.

We will finish
Old 04-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #255
Lornce
Lost In Place

Go, Stage!