Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #61
Blaise W
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 642
Sourjon, Not to hijack here (it is TAT related!) but what do you think our chances are of getting over the passes this year in late June or the first of July? I'm guessing slim to none, but one can always hope....

Ken
Blaise W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 05:28 PM   #62
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post
Sourjon, Not to hijack here (it is TAT related!) but what do you think our chances are of getting over the passes this year in late June or the first of July? I'm guessing slim to none, but one can always hope....

Ken
No hijack as that's when I plan on being on the road!!
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:26 PM   #63
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Chipping away at the list on post #18, made the windshield as mentioned by some friends of mine from the WR250 X forum, not sure how well it will work for the DRZ and a rider that's 6'2". Parts were cheap, face shield from HF ($4.00) and Velcro which cost more than the shield. It's more of a chest wind deflector than a windshield. I'm anxious the try it, but still waiting on the rear swing arm bearing which I royally screwed up.

BTW- does anyone know if it's possible to wire resistance grip heaters w/ different Hi/low LED light indicators???? I don't have a clue. No relay with the wiring. The LED messes with the current draw(?)

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-19-2011 at 06:53 PM
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #64
Lav1200
Pig Pen

Oddometer: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
I don't like the all balls bearings, they are a compromise!!! Wheel bearing and head set are fine, but don't use the sing arm or shock link kit.
The wheel bearings I have tried from All Balls (multiple times) were crap too. I'll be sticking with known Euro or Japanese brands for bearings (FAG, SKF, NTN, etc...).

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this report.
Lav1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:22 AM   #65
Sourjon
TAT'erd

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisew View Post

Ken
I would guess it's a little early but I haven't seen snow pack reports this year. Dan could tell you.

John
Old 04-20-2011, 02:55 PM   #66
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with wiring the grip heaters, the LED was wired in line to the grips. The LED was affecting the current draw of the grips. At least that's my best interpretation. At first I though a realy would have to be used, one for each heat setting. This seamed avoidable, so finally after thinking of what the LED was doing and how to over come that problem, this is what was done. Yeah, no big deal to someone that knows electronics. My knowledge is very basic, I was proud when figuring out how to wire a relay!!!

The power to the switch will be fused and only come on with the key to the motorcycle, just not shown in the diagram.

Here's the Harbor Freight windscreen w/ Velcro for attaching. It looks flimsy to me, but others speak highly about it. Not intended to be a full windshield but more of a wind break for the chest. I'll report back when the bike gets back together.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-20-2011 at 03:05 PM
Old 04-20-2011, 03:36 PM   #67
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
How have I missed this thread!?

Quote:
My concern is being able to find free camp sites along the way. Any advice for this???
Free campsites are everywhere, man. They're called powerlines. Try to get at least an hour out of a major city, get off the interstate onto a side road, and look for powerlines, radio towers, or even big sections of woods. Always get about 100 feet back in the woods, keep your lights/engine off and keep quiet. Youll hear them coming long before anybody can get on top of you.

I've crossed the continent several times doing that. Heck, I slept in the woods across the street from YOUR local police station in Bowling Green once. Even had a fire. I've gotten less and less picky about where I sleep on road trips. I did it for a whole semester so I wouldn't have to pay rent last year.

No, I'm not homeless....Ive got a tent!

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM   #68
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Close the bridge behind the Police station??? Yeah I followed your thread and new exactly where you were camping and where you lost your ridding leach.

I'm so friken' paranoid about getting stumbled upon or tapped on the head w/ a shotgun. I've thought about approaching a farm house and asking if I could pitch a tent in their field, just promise to leave no trace. A solo motorcyclist might have better luck than two, just a thought though.

I'm excited about the trip, hope to get by really cheap may end up being gone a month. Three weeks out and a week to get back possibly the long way home. Who knows I might be dying to get back home, then again hopefully not!!!

Old 04-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #69
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,946
Richard, word of advice...if you do ask permission, ask if you can pitch a tent for the nite. Never say "camp"...don't ask me why, but people dont like that word. Pitch a tent means "sleep"....camp means "party"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Less Harley View Post
Close the bridge behind the Police station??? Yeah I followed your thread and new exactly where you were camping and where you lost your ridding leach.

I'm so friken' paranoid about getting stumbled upon or tapped on the head w/ a shotgun. I've thought about approaching a farm house and asking if I could pitch a tent in their field, just promise to leave no trace. A solo motorcyclist might have better luck than two, just a thought though.

I'm excited about the trip, hope to get by really cheap may end up being gone a month. Three weeks out and a week to get back possibly the long way home. Who knows I might be dying to get back home, then again hopefully not!!!
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:30 PM   #70
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Yeah, get your point, even when reading it, it sounds better. Pitching a tent sounds so temporary!! camping sounds line one of those BIG GS'ers with everything but the kitchen sink!!

I'm having fun prepping the DRZ!!! Need to figure out how to get paid doing it!!! Heck I'd work pit crew for the Dakar for free, but I'm not that good or .......

Old 04-20-2011, 08:37 PM   #71
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 5,123
richard i'm in memphis if ya need a place to crash, wrench, shower etc on your way tru.

gotta truck to if that undepentable jap shit breaks down

or the old man on it

might even join ya for a mile or 2 if your near here on a wkend

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #72
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Quote:
Originally Posted by red bud View Post
richard i'm in memphis if ya need a place to crash, wrench, shower etc on your way tru.

gotta truck to if that undepentable jap shit breaks down

or the old man on it

might even join ya for a mile or 2 if your near here on a wkend
What a mile or two or till I crash which ever comes later??? BTW I ain't old yet, you ass!!!

Old 04-21-2011, 04:35 PM   #73
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Since my thread got moved to trip planning i don't feel bad about posting the prep work anymore. I hope to get it moved back to ride reports when the trip starts. That way it will all be grouped together.

Today the left grip was wired, ended up using a dremel tool to drill two holes in the headlight switch housing that way the wire won't be hanging down and will be less likely to snag on something. Added a little silicone at the holes too.

Here's the top clamp, the black push button switch is for the low beam shut off. The red is where the heated grip switch will be. I can only find a four way switch and the way it works won't let me wire for high low and off. May have to use a three way micro toggle. Really wanted a three way push button switch!!! The LED's are the high (red) and low (yellow) indicators.

The extra long allen bolts on the right are for the roll chart/ Spot bracket which is getting a coat of powder coat.

Can't finish installation as the Easter beaver fuse box hasn't arrived yet, along with another switch, stainless brake line plus the one swing arm bearing. Can't do the right grip till the rear wheel goes back on as the back of the bike is being help up by the trail stand and the front brake is pulled back so the bike won't fall over.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 07:49 PM
Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 PM   #74
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,231
That Highway Dirt Bikes clamp is awesome. I love their stuff. It can be expensive though. $44 for my starter/kill switch.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:09 AM   #75
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Changes to grip wiring and switches on top clamp, instead of two lights for HI and Low, there will be only one as there are only four holes in the top clamp, which will be, off switch for low beam, toggle for heated grips, plug for heated jacket, and an indicator for the heated grips.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 04-22-2011 at 08:08 PM