User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-2011, 03:25 PM   #31
ebbanflood
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 321
On any Sunday

I allways get a kick out of that line. In the movie "On any Sunday" they discuss the reason. I don't recall entirely but I think they talk about flat track racing and how much better it is than high-siding. In truth I would say that my footpegs and handlebars scraping on the street had more stopping power than my 61' Panheads brakes . These days I'll take tripple disks, ABS and some good rubber.
ebbanflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 PM   #32
jlpskydive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by flak View Post
you know that cable guy "get r done" thing?

whenever I see these threads, in my head I can hear some :ymca talking about "layin er down"...but they always talk with the cable guy's voice
Strangely me too. I have never "layed er down" but I have had several involuntary dismounts though. Usually in the dirt because I was being a dumb ass.

BMW R1100RT, 2008 Buell XB12XT (Sold), XR650l with tons of mods (Sold), Triumph Trophy 1200 (Sold with 98K on the clock).
jlpskydive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #33
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by dillon View Post
I used to work with a older dude (hes 70 now) and he had been riding since he was 16 on the street. He told me that the lay it down thing used to be common wisdom when brakes on bikes sucked. You drop the bike and give yourself a buffer zone between you and whatever. But he told me with any bike made in the last 25 years youre better off staying on the tires now that bike brakes work like they ought to.
That makes sense. I know when I used to drive old American cars with lots of motor and not so much brake there was a point at which braking wasn't going to do dick, so you'd resign yourself to going over, under or through whatever hazard was ahead of you and accelerate. I have to say cutting my teeth on old cars driven fast really got me into looking very far down the road and taking everything in. My father called it "Chess, played 10 steps ahead" and it's worked a damn treat for me so far.

I wonder if cowboys and calvary men ever had conversations about "layin" their horse down to avoid the random stagecoach, recklessly driven?
Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
Animo
Beastly n00b

Oddometer: 4,880
Matteeanne posted it best on another thread. Look at this guy The WTF of WTFs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matteeanne View Post

Yucatan | Chiapas | Belize 1 | Belize 2 | QRoo | Guanajuato
Animo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:51 PM   #35
Drilldogger
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
See, I was just thinking maybe the one time it would be ok to "lay er down" would be to slide right underneath a transport truck! It would be James Bond awesome to slide underneath, stand the bike back up and keep going!

Of course I think someone else should try it first.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:58 PM   #36
Jamming
Desert RAT

Oddometer: 2,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by Photog View Post
. By the time I get back, it'll probably have a chaps reference and maybe a few pics.
You know that "laying in down" in those chaps will wear a hole in the seat of your britches? Oh, and no pics......there ya happy?
Jamming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #37
Ultravoyageant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
See, dude should have been riding Megaforce and he would have been all right;

Ultravoyageant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #38
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
The guy that *met* the truck, did he even attempt to brake?

I figure that if his leather stops him by the time he get to the truck's tires, his brakes really could have done a better job.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #39
flak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
The guy that *met* the truck, did he even attempt to brake?
that was my first thought, had to watch it again just to check

sure didn't look like it
flak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #40
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Okay, so it wasn't just me, that bike went from straight line to sliding down the road much faster than it would have if he had lost control. Sure seems like it was tossed down intentionally.

And heaven help me, if you see me sliding down the road, something is seriously wrong, because I've said it before, and will say it agian, I'm not looking forward to skidding down the road on my ass. In fact I'll do everything I can to stay upright. That's just my chicken, self-preservation side showing, though. Some people sure don't seem to have much self-preservation left.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:27 PM   #41
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supa12 Pilot View Post
Matteeanne posted it best on another thread. Look at this guy The WTF of WTFs!

I just don't know what to say... Clear view, dry pavement... That is about the most short sighted display of urban riding I have ever seen. He should have easily avoided that truck.

Old 04-20-2011, 09:06 PM   #42
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,370
I doubt he was sober.

I have low sided on the street twice, both times it was not my idea, both times drunk and in the rain (a LOOOONG time ago).

I can see some situations where it might end up better then slamming into something upright.

I once witnessed a guy lay the bike down and stand on it and surf it across some railroad tracks. 750 2 stroke triple, my friend had a 500, this guy had the 750, we worked with him.
Lay er down and surf it, why mess up your gear (jeans).

The bike was in bad shape, but he did not have a scratch on him.
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:13 PM   #43
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 3,056
I had to watch it three times to see WTF he was doing, besides speeding and not paying attention.He had enough time and distance to stop twice

The worse part is for the rest of his none riding life he will explain to every noob, how laying down his bike saved him from a fiery death.

Excellent quote, " That is about the most short sighted display of urban riding I have ever seen."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I just don't know what to say... Clear view, dry pavement... That is about the most short sighted display of urban riding I have ever seen. He should have easily avoided that truck.

Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #44
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritalin Boy View Post
Actually I see it as once again pointing out there was a time when a poorly trained rider thought "laying it down" was an effective crash avoidance technique.

You however have inferred that the mount of choice for such riders is a Harley Davidson, ergo you infer that owners of Harley Davidson motorcycles are poorly trained riders, or simply can't ride well enough to have any strategy but "laying it down."

They kept me busy with all that layin er down when I worked in an HD dealership . It's the only arena of motorcycling where I heard it talked about as a fact of life.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:05 PM   #45
PalePhase
Humour Noir

Oddometer: 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 257bob View Post
Awesome.

Another thinly disguised Harley bashing thread.
Harley, I mean "Hardly". I mean "hardly."

I have heard the same pearl of wisdom about "laying 'er down" from riders of Ancient Rice as well. Most recently, it was the learned old coot from down the road who staggered up my driveway while I was washing the grime off my scoot. He waxed nostalgic about the bad old days of motorcycles when they had greased blocks of ice for brake shoes and steel-mounted engines on rubber frames. That led to his regaling me with tales of his prowess in surfing the asphalt with his bike on its side, its 5 cc engine blatting furiously as they plunged headlong toward what would have been certain doom had he given the brakes a try.

After the history lesson, he dispensed his sage advice that the best favor I could do for myself was to learn to "lay 'er down." Now, here comes the best part: "Ya need ta practice thet!" I didn't ask how many bikes he went through to perfect his technique, and I resisted the temptation to ask if he ever got on a first-name basis with the folks in the ER. I let him prattle on, thanked him for opening my eyes to The Truth, and then let him walk away with the afterglow that he had done somebody a good deed. After all, his heart was in the right place even if his brain was still in transit.

1995 Honda VF750CD
2002 Honda VFR800
PalePhase is offline   Reply With Quote