Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #736
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Oddometer: 15,573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
Heck no we're not there yet, dangit! And nobody wants us there more than me! Well, maybe with the exception of JJ, who cajoles me about the project at least 5 times a week! That's such a friendly sounding word in'nit? Cajole. This is what it really looks like...   

It's more like 5 times a day…

8 of the panels below were sent out Friday for drilling and plating. That's enough for 1700+ IICE Airs. (That was one of the unexpected 'benefits' of having a problem with the original one-stop PCB house we were using.)

1700 frikken boards?
How come the marketing dept never got the memo?
Man this is great. We can sell them non stop, to everybody, all the time, everywhere, with your mind in mind, the sky's the limit, you want it we got it…

I can see it all now, we'll have to hire extra phone banks and telemarketers and do an infomertial. Call the bank we're gunna need a bigger account, one that can handle up to 4 figures.

The drilling process immediately came to a flying stop over the location of the 0,0 origin in the CAD instructions. The drill house now has a new set of CAD instructions with their preferred 0,0 origin.

Yesterday I ran into a problem with the etch and soldermask vendor regarding the photoplots (film transparencies of the board layers). The issue relates to what the words 'positive image' and 'negative image' mean. :-) So today I ordered new plots for a couple of the layers.

The photoplot vendor pointed out the problem when I was there picking up the films. He says, "Did you say you're using such-and-such vendor for etching and soldermask? Why yes I did. "Well he reverses the terms 'positive' and 'negative' on two of the layers."

Looks like we'll have completed boards by Monday afternoon. This is fun!

The Marketing Dept approves of this message!!!

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 PM   #737
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
Poolside. We have used Sunstone circuits for PCB production and Screaming circuits for board assembly for prototyping at work. We had Sunstone ship the PCB's directly to Screaming for assembly. We have done a few dozen different designs this way without a single problem to date.

Not sure about the pricing...it's all relative.
I've never used them but this sounds interesting:

http://www.pad2pad.com/
Old 04-20-2011, 10:10 PM   #738
Parrothead
Cu Dubh

Oddometer: 435
Holy frak, Poolside!

That's why I'm glad to be out of that business! Well... One reason anyway. Keep up the good fight and no worries here about your delivery sched. My bike's running fine without it, and I'm sure will be better after! BZ I
"... You can go through life fudging and evading, indulging and slacking, never really hungry nor frightened nor passionately stirred, your highest moment a sentimental orgasm and your first real contact with primary and elemental necessities the sweat of your deathbed." - H.G Wells
Old 04-20-2011, 11:51 PM   #739
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonGS View Post
Poolside. We have used Sunstone circuits for PCB production and Screaming circuits for board assembly for prototyping at work. We had Sunstone ship the PCB's directly to Screaming for assembly. We have done a few dozen different designs this way without a single problem to date.

Not sure about the pricing...it's all relative.
Thanks for the reference BGS. I've heard other good comments about them. I got a formal quote from Sunstone for the PCBs. And like you said, everything's relative.

Not that I'm not trying to go for the cheapest, mind you. If I were, there are any number of Asian vendors that fit the bill. The thing is the US companies pricing was on average 12 times higher.

I was willing to accept the pricing, but the mfg. and mgmt. issues that occurred with my usual vendor pushed me away from the one-stop-shop scenario. I chose instead to go back to my roots and do it old school. And just walk the boards through the manufacturing steps using local individual service providers.

Surprisingly, it works out to only a little more than double the average price of Asian PCBs. All things considered, that's not worth complaining about.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-20-2011, 11:56 PM   #740
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I've never used them but this sounds interesting:

http://www.pad2pad.com/
Based on their quick online quote, I'll give them a call next time. If they are, they sure have good pricing for a domestic supplier.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 04-21-2011, 12:29 AM   #741
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead View Post
Holy frak, Poolside! That's why I'm glad to be out of that business!
I'm not complaining, dude. :-) These are just some missteps from getting back in the saddle. I had similar 'who's on first?' miscommunication issues when doing this regular around 20 years ago. This part was just supposed to done by now is all.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:20 AM   #742
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscottyk View Post
Could this mean more availability than the original orders?

*fingers crossed*
I was gonna say "Cue marketing!" but I can see they're all over it.

Seriously though, I'm not planning on building more IICE Airs after this batch. I've got to start working on the next product, the IICE Cool, you know? But since there are so many more IICE Air boards I'll more than likely build out to match the minimum buy of enclosures. They'll be some extra.

(Hey! Did you hear that, marketing?!)

Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #743
slipknot
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 825
Since we're all in a good mood, when should we expect delivery?
Old 04-21-2011, 10:25 AM   #744
Poolside OP
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post

Since we're all in a good mood, when should we expect delivery?
We'll see :-) Looks like the first ones will ship next week before Friday.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:01 AM   #745
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
But since there are so many more IICE Air boards I'll more than likely build out to match the minimum buy of enclosures. They'll be some extra.

Thanks for the update Poolside. I'll keep an eye on the vendor area.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #746
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:

Seriously though, I'm not planning on building more IICE Airs after this batch. I've got to start working on the next product, the IICE Cool, you know? But since there are so many more IICE Air boards I'll more than likely build out to match the minimum buy of enclosures. They'll be some extra.

Heh, marketing is nothing if not flexible.
This means we can get all over the exclusivity of this AMAZING modern miracle cure all for the common cold.

Oh wait, wrong account.
never mind

JJ

WingMakers.com
Old 04-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #747
frogy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:

Sooo I might B able to get one afterall
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 PM   #748
Poolside OP
Syndicated

The panels were drilled and plated on Friday. Yaay! Etch, mask, and legend started today.

Roughly, the individual steps are,
1. Panelize (create a multiple array of the final board on a panel)
2. Photoplot (generate transparencies of the array for the etch and silkscreen processes)
3. Drill
4. Copper plate (this puts copper in the 'thru holes' on the board)
5. Acid etch (chemically dissolves all the copper except for the circuit traces)
6. Solder mask (a silkscreen process that covers everything but the circuit pads, usually green in color)
7. Hot Air Level (coat the circuit board pads with lead free solder)
8. Legend (a silkscreen process that identifies the parts on the board, usually white in color)
9. Depanelize (rout or v-score the individual boards).

Here's some cellphone pics of the drilling process.

Eight 18" x 12" panels, 213 IICE Airs per panel.

Poolside screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 03:53 PM Reason: Changed the IMG tags. Images unchanged.
Old 04-23-2011, 08:56 PM   #749
Monsignore
Plunger Boy

Oddometer: 882
Quote:

If I cross my eyes when I look at this, I see a picture of Ewan MacGregor on his GS stuck in a mud bank .

IBA # 55612
Old 04-23-2011, 09:26 PM   #750
johnjen
I've Been Resigned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsignore View Post
If I cross my eyes when I look at this, I see a picture of Ewan MacGregor on his GS stuck in a mud bank .
It's funny you mention this.
We talked about the inner 3d picture, when you get real close to your monitor and decouple your eyes and focus just so.

I won't tell you what I see because it should be a surprise, but the results were unbelievable to say the least.

JJ
ps If only this were April 1st and not today…

WingMakers.com
Closed Thread