User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 08:38 AM   #781
Aussie66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Calling bull

Great promo video, many will still call the stills crap! But with the video I am even more convinced they are true..
Aussie66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:01 PM   #782
B-Rod
RubberNecker

Oddometer: 1,886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie66 View Post
Great promo video, many will still call the stills crap! But with the video I am even more convinced they are true..
Doubt it. Coma wasn't doing any giant airs anything close to the stills.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM   #783
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadly99 View Post
Did you sign up for 2012 Bluebull ? I recall you saying you were hoping to just don't recall reading wether you did or not...

Deadly, I have to postpone my Dakar another year (2013 is now the year) because I finally got a decent job and I need to get the mine working and everything, so its very unlikley I will have the time for training.

At least now I will be able to afford it.

Also I guess I can enter a couple more rallies now before I do it. Im pretty bummed about this development but I guess that is the way thngs go.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:05 PM   #784
JayBo1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007 View Post
Deadly, I have to postpone my Dakar another year (2013 is now the year) because I finally got a decent job and I need to get the mine working and everything, so its very unlikley I will have the time for training.

At least now I will be able to afford it.

Also I guess I can enter a couple more rallies now before I do it. Im pretty bummed about this development but I guess that is the way thngs go.
Well, I'm not at all bummed about it mate. We can both make 2013 our Dakar debut then. With your Peru sand-riding experience behind you, maybe you should come over to Australia for the Safari in September to do some long riding days. Not too many other Rallys around have 600-900km days and the marathon days with no service assistance allowed.
Cheers
JayBo
KTM 530 EXC-R (R for Rally, right!!) ... or Retired or Redundant
Cagiva 750 Elefant - Lucky Explorer '88
JayBo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 PM   #785
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBo1 View Post
Well, I'm not at all bummed about it mate. We can both make 2013 our Dakar debut then. With your Peru sand-riding experience behind you, maybe you should come over to Australia for the Safari in September to do some long riding days. Not too many other Rallys around have 600-900km days and the marathon days with no service assistance allowed.
Cheers
JayBo
I must say it sounds bloody attractive, John. When is the closing date for that?
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #786
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rod View Post
Doubt it. Coma wasn't doing any giant airs anything close to the stills.
Exactly... ironically, the first still with the midget Coma jumping over the FMX rider is the opposite of the actual film (1:54) where the FMX rider is jumping in the background of Coma on the dune?

Seriously, just LOOK at the photos -

1) Coma is about 4/5th the size he should be in this picture - there is also no way he got the bike at that sort of angle off the terrain in the picture...

2)Again, where exactly did he take off from here? There is also no shadow below him (despite the dust kicked up from the bike below)...
[IMG]

3) This get's the award for 'trying way to hard to be convincing...' yes they put shadows in (badly)... but both of these riders are going to have an almighty accident the moment they land in the face of that dune...

4) Total joke... yes they tried to put some tyre tracks in the face of this dune - but there is no breaking of the crust on the top, no dust in the air, and also the feathering around the tyres in this picture gives it away...

5)I'm getting really bored now... no shadow, no point of take off in this terrain, the perspective is all wrong... and this shot particularly (like all of them) shows the the dunes and the mountains in the 'background' are not even in the same place...

I can't believe KTM had anything to do with these stills - it's pathetic...

Mind you, they've been dressing up LC4s for years as 'Rally Replicas' and selling them 'ready to race'... ahem.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 02:04 AM   #787
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post

Reminds me of the time I passed Jonah in the Dakar...

Exactly - this is more convincing, and probably took Hayduke a couple of minutes...

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:18 AM   #788
F650Dakar_Norway
What off-season?

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I can't believe KTM had anything to do with these stills - it's pathetic...
Neither do I, but as a PR stunt the link to KTM Racing with certain "photo-jumps" are quite revealing about to which length they're going:
http://ktm.com/100087.0.html?nodeID=...ash=dd14096c74

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Mind you, they've been dressing up LC4s for years as 'Rally Replicas' and selling them 'ready to race'... ahem.

Jx
Correct. They'll do races "out-of-the-box" all right, but my "Joe Doe" 654ccm, 72hp 690RR won't be a true contender - even with Marc Coma piloting. You get a decent start-package and that's about it. You'll certainly have to fine-tune suspension, make it 700ccm - 85hp+ and safety-wire all relevant bolts and parts additionally. Like Pal Anders & Thomas Berglund did last year with their 690RR's to race for top 10.

Not to mention arm-wrestle a lot with KTM Racing to get your spare engines and mortgage your house to get some spares.
2008 KTM 690 RFR
1994 Honda ST1100
F650Dakar_Norway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:27 AM   #789
beaney
rally racer

Oddometer: 124
[QUOTE=JMo (& piglet);15714659]This is an even bigger pile of wank than the original...

Seriously people - these are laughable...

Heres my desert freestyle, and Its real

beaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #790
Frgich
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
No air at all beaney , you got to be kidding me

www.lobagola.com Bed & Breakfast in Zagreb
Frgich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 04:46 PM   #791
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 4,950
nice one beaney, I can do that with a good puddle
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #792
forest
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
How do Dakar "neutralization zones" work?

How does it work? What can and can you not do? How do officials keep track of in and out? Is there a time limit on how long you can stay in the neutralization zone and how long is it? I am thinking about suggesting a rule change for snowmobile racing because I think it is a great idea to have some time to eat, rehydrate, dehydrate and not be paranoid about how slow refueling is.
forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 08:51 PM   #793
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,048
They have snipers hiding where you cannot see them. if you step out of line they take you down. This keeps everyone honest and the cheaters get removed from the competition. Everyone wins really.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:58 PM   #794
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,044
Adapted for snowmobile races...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S View Post
They have snipers hiding where you cannot see them. if you step out of line they take you down. This keeps everyone honest and the cheaters get removed from the competition. Everyone wins really.
See... they've already got a nutralization zone "control crew" kitted up for you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 AM   #795
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 17,044
But seriously...

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest View Post
How does it work? What can and can you not do? How do officials keep track of in and out? Is there a time limit on how long you can stay in the neutralization zone and how long is it? I am thinking about suggesting a rule change for snowmobile racing because I think it is a great idea to have some time to eat, rehydrate, dehydrate and not be paranoid about how slow refueling is.
With regards your question about "refuelling" at the snowmobile races, and how the "15 min nutralisation" (time out) control functions on the Dakar... here is the rule governing;

3) Refuelling during a Special Stage
The competitor alone is responsible for refuelling.
Refuelling must be done with the engine cut.
A 15 minute neutralisation will be put in place each time refuelling is carried out during a special stage.
Each refuelling will be preceded by a CP. After having given in their time card, each competitor must take their machine to the refuelling truck. Fuel will be distributed in order of arrival at the CP.
After having refuelled, competitors must present themselves to the neutralisation control, where they will recover their time card. A new start will be given at the end of the neutralisation.
All external assistance on a machine is forbidden during refuelling on pain of penalties at the discretion of the International Jury. Only competitors are allowed to help other competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen
"It's like deja vu all over again."

Quote:
Originally posted by PBee
"...the Barstid never gives you anything for your Sig line, it's always too long........."
troy safari carpente is offline   Reply With Quote