Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2011, 01:57 AM   #136
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by motocrossross View Post
Ok, maybe i should have bought a KLR.....
Have you ever experienced how much power a KLR doesn't have ?

I think I'd stick with my mountain bicycle and save even more money!
Old 04-22-2011, 07:26 AM   #137
HighFive OP
Never Tap-Out

Oddometer: 2,672
Ok......I'm throwing a FLAG on the field for that response, Ducksbane. I'm the Umpire here. No mocking allowed in my Stupid Questions Thread. While that could be a fair response in any Other thread, it gets a penalty here.

This is the one & only safe haven for really Stupid Questions....like that one. Besides, I owned a KLR....I resembly that remark....I was a real cheap bastard too....at least once!

Ok, maybe lots but I digress. No more cheap shots at the brave souls so willing to ask such Stupid Questions. They are all welcome here, without retribution. But woe to them who venture outside....

HF
Athena Big Bore Project WRRDualsport.com
HighFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:57 AM   #138
motocrossross
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Thanks ChiTown, how did your bars and handguards fare in your big endo? i guess i'll just buy the BMW handguards(on my Yamaha budget). As for bar risers, im thinking i'll get the touratech 20mm ones which are only $32.
Ducksbane, i keep saying "i shoulda bought a KLR", but i'm sure glad i got the Beemer.... it'll haul ass!
'13 R1200GS
motocrossross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #139
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFive View Post
Ok......I'm throwing a FLAG on the field for that response, Ducksbane. I'm the Umpire here. No mocking allowed in my Stupid Questions Thread. While that could be a fair response in any Other thread, it gets a penalty hereHF
Sorry High Five ... I have just ridden a KLR and bought a used XChallenge ... find it hard to believe how much more powerful the XC feels!

Of course the 800 feels more powerful than the XC (because it has twice the power!)

I'll stick to annoying Super Tenere fans for now I promise!

... but not in this thread!
Old 04-23-2011, 05:02 AM   #140
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 407
OK HV...I tried this on another thread and didn't get anywhere. My stupid question after all I have read and a year of ownership:

What the heck is the "beak" for? Does it do anything? If so, why have both the beak and a fender?
Old 04-23-2011, 05:37 AM   #141
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
OK HV...I tried this on another thread and didn't get anywhere. My stupid question after all I have read and a year of ownership:

What the heck is the "beak" for? Does it do anything? If so, why have both the beak and a fender?
Not a stupid question at all ... I think BMW introduced the beak on the R1100GS in 1994. I suspect they may have stolen the idea from the 1988 Suzuki DR BIG. I had an R1100GS and it was understood that the beak was to improve aerodynamics and funnel air into the oil cooler mounted underneath the headlight. It was also helpful when I had to remove the front mudguard because of it clogging with mud ... it actually kept a lot of the crap off you without the guard.

The F800GS doesn't have an oil cooler in that location, and it is much shorter than the 1100's. I suspect that it may have some aerodynamic value and may keep a little bit of mud and water off you and the bike/headlight. It probably stops the odd rock as well. Ultimately though I suspect it is a styling element to differentiate the GS series from other bikes. (Even though they stole it in the first place and now other manufacturers like Triumph are blatantly copying it). Another obvious GS styling element is the asymmetric headlights that appeared first on the 1999 R1150GS.

Despite all this I actually like the beak and would miss it if they ever took it away!

Ducksbane screwed with this post 04-23-2011 at 05:52 AM
Ducksbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:48 AM   #142
dendrophobe
Motorbike Junky

Oddometer: 859
Darn good answer.

In my experience, it doesn't really do anything, especially when combined with the low fender. This, as well as the inherent dangers in a low fender, are why some of us have gotten rid of both of them in exchange for something else.

2006 Ducati Sport 1000, Black
Custom built Ducati GT1000 Scrambler, Red
dendrophobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 01:06 PM   #143
Hucker
Lost

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy View Post
My owners manual is a little vague on the subject of "reserve".

I assume that the countdown to empty is the first 16litres, then when the flashing fuel pump symbol on the left display is lit it means you are approaching empty.

I see a little symbol that is supposed to represent reserve, but no actual explanation in the manual to how it works.

I again assume that once it's lit you have 4 litres and you are walking.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

I was thinking of packing a fuel can and just riding until it stops to figure out how it works, but that can be problematic.
Okay...finally took some (crappy cellphone) pics to help explain the newer software version...

Here is my display showing a total of 204 miles driven since my last fill-up, of which 36 miles were driven after the light came on...

And here is the receipt for the fill-up after I took the pic above, showing 4.016 U.S. Gal (51mpg avg) @ $4.369/gal :

And finally a pic of the display after the fill-up...note the counter-up is gone (it defaults to temp):

Hope this helps someone...
Hucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 04:58 PM   #144
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushman View Post
And here is the receipt for the fill-up after I took the pic above, showing 4.016 U.S. Gal (51mpg avg) @ $4.369/gal :
The rest of the world love hearing Americans complain about gas prices

(I just paid AUD$1.57/litre, about USD$6.40 per gallon. And that's still cheap by European standards!)
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 PM   #145
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,283
1.38 a litre here
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #146
LaPorte
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 483
6000 mile service

I just went over 6000 miles and I was woundering what is covered in the dealers 6000 mile service. I ment to call my dealer last week but didn't get around to it. Besides oil and filter change what does the dealer do, and what is the typical charge?
If it's no more than oil and filter change, clutch cable adjustment, chain adjustment, wheel bearing inspection than that's all been done by me a number of times and there is no reason for me to bring it in to the dealers.

LaPorte

LaPorte screwed with this post 04-24-2011 at 08:43 AM
LaPorte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #147
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_han View Post

(the plug my index finger is pointing at)
this is the 'loose' or rather, a disconnected plug behind the engine that i was talking about. noticed it just recently after 2years...
viewed from the left side of the bike.

any ideas as to what this plug does?

my bike still fires up and moves...
If your in the USA, or one of the few other countries that this feature is installed on, Take the little black plastic cover with one screw in it off. It's the cover just above where your pointing.

I suspect you will find a round thingy with 2 vacuum hoses attached to it and an electrical connector with no connector attached to it because it is hanging down where your pointing.

If above is the case, the connector goes to your canister purge valve. If your in a country this feature is not installed, the connector is an extra.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 08:45 PM   #148
xxxshiftxxx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
How do I check my shock bolt? Step by step would be nice.
xxxshiftxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:42 PM   #149
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,613
Get the rear tire elevated. Pull the seat. There is a plastic cover that has the plastic key to your rear preload key stuck to it, you need to remove. Disconnect 1 electrical connection and move the diagnostic plug from its holder and out of the way.

To remove the plastic cover (seat pan) remove the 4 nuts showing on top and the 2 screws on the sides. Wiggle it out to expose the top of the shock mount.
I am usually satisfied with just looking at both sides of the shock mount located in the middle to check for any gaps no matter how minute, but I have had the bolt out 3-4 times to find it straight.

To remove the bolt takes the appropriate torx socket (T55?) and unscrew it. You will have to lift the tire to get it out. That big cylinder on the left of the mount is threaded for the bolt and doubles to support the seat.

To reinstall, just reverse. Appropriate torque is 75 ft lbs. or 100 nm if you are European.

itsatdm screwed with this post 04-26-2011 at 12:12 AM
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #150
Nico75
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 58
New owner: check
Stupid question: check

My rear brake fluid looks kinda black.
Should I replace, or is this somehow supposed to be like that on the 800?
Past: 1979 Suzuki GS550E - 1982 Honda CB500FII - 1987 Suzuki Intruder VS700 - 1995 Suzuki Intruder VS1400 - 2001 BMW F650 GS - 2005 BMW R1200GS
Nico75 is offline   Reply With Quote