User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2005, 11:32 AM   #1
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
640ADV Sprockets and Chain Q?

I bought some KTM brand stuff from Munn Racing. Got the KTM chain and sprockets, and was wondering what else fits? Can I run aftermarket stuff? Whose?

I was hoping to pick up a 17t sprocket for highway use, and am planning for the next change.

Thanks,

M
Old 06-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
Buckster
Banned

Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike
I bought some KTM brand stuff from Munn Racing. Got the KTM chain and sprockets, and was wondering what else fits? Can I run aftermarket stuff? Whose?

I was hoping to pick up a 17t sprocket for highway use, and am planning for the next change.

Thanks,

M
You can get the Renthal front sprockets.
Buckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 04:48 PM   #3
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,076
I believe there has been talk that you can use aftermarket rear sprockets, but that you should stick with KTM front sprockets. Something about aftermarket being larger and hitting the front case guard.

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
ChrisC
Amal sex?

Oddometer: 6,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
I believe there has been talk that you can use aftermarket rear sprockets, but that you should stick with KTM front sprockets. Something about aftermarket being larger and hitting the front case guard.
'taint the case guard, God. It's the swing arm pivot. KTM sprockets have slightly shorter teeth. But that being said, you also need to grind some clearance into the case guard, or buy the Duke's guard that was designed for the 17T (58430047000).

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 06:37 PM   #5
Gummee! OP
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,091
Quote:
Originally Posted by GODSPEED
What brand of rears?

For next time, ya know...

M
Old 06-18-2005, 08:15 PM   #6
SRG
SRG

Oddometer: 1,212
For the rear get the "stealth" KTM hard part sprocket. I is a trimetal type - steel sprocket ring (long life) on a lightweight alu. center w/ Ti bolts holding it all togeather. Costs more than the alu. ones but lasts much longer. Looks cool to boot.

SRG
Old 06-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #7
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,687
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRG
For the rear get the "stealth" KTM hard part sprocket. I is a trimetal type - steel sprocket ring (long life) on a lightweight alu. center w/ Ti bolts holding it all togeather. Costs more than the alu. ones but lasts much longer. Looks cool to boot.
I like them too. Don't pay more than $50 though, as you can find them in just about all price ranges. I got mine from ktmcycles.com though I had to wait over a month as it was on backorder. Oh I guess the price went up a little. Okay, don't pay more than $60.
potatoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 07:46 AM   #8
Jerome
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
I have been told that the Stealth sprockets weak link are the rivets, but they do look good.

Have a look at Chaingang in Oz:

http://www.chaingang.com.au/SPROCKETS.htm

Their site also has interesting info on chains as the best chain may not necessarily be the strongest one.

I have heard good things about the long life of thier sprockets in off and on road use and am about to order both sprockets and chain for my next set.

www.fowb.co.uk
Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 12:56 PM   #9
dirtydeeds
I'm alive.

Oddometer: 2,528
Most small engine shops that deal with motorcycles should have parts books listing aftermarket KTM parts. I picked up a steel rear sprocket for a good price. Pick up a brake and clutch lever while your there, just in case...
Old 06-19-2005, 01:15 PM   #10
Happe
Offroad Nut

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDMike

Thanks,

M

Funny that these kind of storys always surface again and again.
Buy a good quality aftermarket sprocket F&R and a good quality 520 X-Ring chain.
Go for D.I.D or DC (what is the OEM Version of the DID).
I use mostly Talon Sprockets. Talon because my KTM Dealer has them on stock. Renthal is also very good. I used the stealth rear and also a couple of alloy sprockets, alloy is fine for endorsing Sumo Factory riders but for a normal human just a waste of money. Stealth also very expensive. I buy two Talons for the same money.
I have for touring a 16t on the front and a 14T in the pocket,42 on the rear. If I know it will get difficult I use 15/45.
Get yourself a couple of engine guards for 15/16T (your standard one) and 16/17, also a couple of Links (if you use a bigger rear sprocket)
The original KTM sprocket has this rubber thingy to help decrease the noise to pass the noise tests, so no need for that bollocks after its registered
Most important of all, change your chain clip Link every 7000Km or earlier.

And most most most important go out and ride!

cheers

Stefan
Happe is offline   Reply With Quote