Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 09:55 AM   #1486
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
Hola everyone .......

I posted this in the 640 owners sign in thread as well, but thought to post it here as well .....

I just finished overhauling my 2000 640, and the bike is running awesome!

Meat - the eastern beaver kit and sylvania bulbs are a huge improvement over the stock ones ...... thanks for the info on that .....

Here's the question / issue / whatever, and is what I posted in the other thread .....

Stock IMO tripmaster v.s. aftermarket ........

See below pic:

As you can see this person has an after market tripmaster in his 640. And very professionally done, might I add ........

Here's my dilemma:
My old IMO's battery went, which yes, I can swap the battery out. Well I also scored I spare IMO, so my thought was to put the spare in, replace the battery in the one I took out (to have a spare), and Bob's your uncle ...

Well I put the spare IMO in, and it as well, has a dead battery, but what's more, and I'm not sure if it's a calibration issue or what, but the speedo on the thing is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay off. I don't even know if you can calibrate them. Ex: When I'm doing 35 mph, the speedo reads 98 mph

So, yes, I could swap the battery in the one I took out as I said, and then swap the battery in the one I put in, but now I'm thinking ...... Is there a better option?

What would be the pros of going with a Vapor, or is it Viper, or an endurance tripmaster, like in the above pic v.s. just fixing the stock IMOs .....

I mean, as it stands now, my odometer is hosed anyways and the bike reads 0 for mileage, so it doesn't matter what I put in or what I do ........

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions everyone.

G.
I responded in your previous post but didn't do a comparison between the original IMO and aftermarket.

Original IMO, at least later models are I believe a quality product.
Up to 2002, I believe the units are mostly crappy. Battery issues, water getting in, costly repairs etc.

Comparing to the Electrosport unit I have they have many, many more functions that I never used.....

This one has an Odo, 3 x trip, rev counter, time, date, can measure coolant temp, adjustable for wheel size and some more functions that I don't use.....

The down side is the speed sensor that is a bitch to set up to a KTM....I had to make a little bracket to fix it in place right behind the caliper, had to have a 10,9 grade bolt replica of a disc fastening screw made with a magnet pressed in its head and had to grind a small notch in the caliper carrier for the bigger screw head to pass freely. Also, the cable is too stiff for KTM's suspension travel....I made it a little longer, protected it with spiral wrap etc....

I'm sure some of the guys here would be able to set it up better than me but for now the unit functions very good.....as for the professional job...thank you but it's not that good...I'll take pic's for you so you can see better....

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #1487
G-Funk
That ... Umm ..... "Dude"

Oddometer: 5,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
I responded in your previous post but didn't do a comparison between the original IMO and aftermarket.

Original IMO, at least later models are I believe a quality product.
Up to 2002, I believe the units are mostly crappy. Battery issues, water getting in, costly repairs etc.

Comparing to the Electrosport unit I have they have many, many more functions that I never used.....

This one has an Odo, 3 x trip, rev counter, time, date, can measure coolant temp, adjustable for wheel size and some more functions that I don't use.....

The down side is the speed sensor that is a bitch to set up to a KTM....I had to make a little bracket to fix it in place right behind the caliper, had to have a 10,9 grade bolt replica of a disc fastening screw made with a magnet pressed in its head and had to grind a small notch in the caliper carrier for the bigger screw head to pass freely. Also, the cable is too stiff for KTM's suspension travel....I made it a little longer, protected it with spiral wrap etc....

I'm sure some of the guys here would be able to set it up better than me but for now the unit functions very good.....as for the professional job...thank you but it's not that good...I'll take pic's for you so you can see better....

M.
Thank you for your quick reply .....

I would be needing it for just the speedo, not the tach, as mine is working properly.

Also - I hear ya on the cost issues ...... To buy one brand new, it'd run me 700 USD, v.s. 159USD for the Acewell ....

I have friends who are fabricators that could make a plate so I didn't just have a hole in my dash ...... Though I need to check out the measurements on the acewell to compare it to the stock KTM IMO.

If you could take some pics, that would be grand, specially with what you had to do for the speed sensor ..... also, one other question. How is power supplied to the acewell? Internal battery, connected to the bike's battery, or both?

Thanks again, and take it easy ......

G.

"The Funness out-weighs the Dumbness ....." - Mr. Jetmoto
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 10:35 AM   #1488
makazica
Studly Adventurer

The power is supplied from the battery and it has an internal battery.
I'll try to post some pics in about an hour...

Cheers!

M.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:04 PM   #1489
G-Funk

Quote:
The power is supplied from the battery and it has an internal battery.
I'll try to post some pics in about an hour...

Cheers!

M.
Thank you!

Cheers as well .......

G.

Old 05-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #1490
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Sorry, haven't managed and it's dark now....I'll try to do it tomorrow...

M.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:31 PM   #1491
Ol'Muley
old, not dead

Oddometer: 82
Footpegs

Has anyone found a good replacement footpeg for the 640? Not too expensive or worth the extra $$$ ?
Ol'Muley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:30 PM   #1492
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,202
I just installed an Acewell on my 01 640 enduro. It was pretty simple in concept, just a pain to get the wires straight. The magnetic bolt they sent wouldn't work, it's just to big to clear the brake mount. A quick call to trailtech and I had one that worked. Charged me $10 shipping a $6 bolt though ....
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 PM   #1493
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerCompton View Post
I just installed an Acewell on my 01 640 enduro. It was pretty simple in concept, just a pain to get the wires straight. The magnetic bolt they sent wouldn't work, it's just to big to clear the brake mount. A quick call to trailtech and I had one that worked. Charged me $10 shipping a $6 bolt though ....
So are you saying (not trying to sound stupid here) but are you saying you just ordered the magnetic bolt from trailtech, and it worked fine with the acewell ?????

G.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:26 PM   #1494
DingDangKid
The milk man.

Oddometer: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk View Post
So are you saying (not trying to sound stupid here) but are you saying you just ordered the magnetic bolt from trailtech, and it worked fine with the acewell ?????

G.
Yes sir!

They both contain an identical rare earth metal "Neodymium." Another option as told by the trail tech service guy is to super glue one of these guys into your caliper.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SJ7IPS
Old 05-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #1495
makazica
Studly Adventurer

I managed to take some crappy cellphone pics...I'll take some better ones when I take it apart next time....

You can see that the unit could be tighter to the mask but I'm satisfied with the result....

Disc screw with magnet pressed into its head....notice how the original bolt is smaller....

The sensor is all plastic and it had a lip that had mounting bolts in it....it broke so I wrap it in a thin piece of flat aluminum and mounted it with a bolt that goes in the hole from the old sensor....the sensor sticks on the upper side so the mark on the sensor matches a spot where the magnet passes and it's epoxied inside the alu wrapping.

You can notice a notch on the caliper bracket that is needed so the bigger disc bolt can pass....

M.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:03 AM   #1496
makazica
Studly Adventurer

You can see that the whole black plastic piece is off the newer 2003+ model (mine is 2001)that came with newer unit so I drilled new holes for the signal lamps and connected the 12V socket into an existing spare connector...

Cheers!

M.
Old 05-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #1497
fastdadio
Still gettin faster

Oddometer: 1,879
Bar risers and decomp cables.

My bike; 2001 400 lc4e.
Problem; PO installed taller Renthals with risers. I find the decompression cable in place but not connected to the lever. It's too short. Even after removing the risers, I tried several routing options for the cable and none seemed safe. So, I removed the cable completely....and then lost it.

Now I'm on the project again. So, What are my options? What have you folks done when installing the taller bars and/or risers? Motion Pro can make a longer one, but, I need to send the original in order to duplicate it. (see first paragraph)

Anyone have an OEM/worn out cable for cheap?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
fastdadio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:20 PM   #1498
G-Funk

Quote:
I managed to take some crappy cellphone pics...I'll take some better ones when I take it apart next time....

You can see that the unit could be tighter to the mask but I'm satisfied with the result....

Disc screw with magnet pressed into its head....notice how the original bolt is smaller....

The sensor is all plastic and it had a lip that had mounting bolts in it....it broke so I wrap it in a thin piece of flat aluminum and mounted it with a bolt that goes in the hole from the old sensor....the sensor sticks on the upper side so the mark on the sensor matches a spot where the magnet passes and it's epoxied inside the alu wrapping.

You can notice a notch on the caliper bracket that is needed so the bigger disc bolt can pass....

M.
Thanks for the shots ...... Actually I still say that your dash turned out really well IMHO.

What I probably will do is go with ordering a trailtech bolt so I don't have to notch the caliper bracket .......

G.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:23 PM   #1499
G-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
My bike; 2001 400 lc4e.
Problem; PO installed taller Renthals with risers. I find the decompression cable in place but not connected to the lever. It's too short. Even after removing the risers, I tried several routing options for the cable and none seemed safe. So, I removed the cable completely....and then lost it.

Now I'm on the project again. So, What are my options? What have you folks done when installing the taller bars and/or risers? Motion Pro can make a longer one, but, I need to send the original in order to duplicate it. (see first paragraph)

Anyone have an OEM/worn out cable for cheap?
Thanks in advance for any help or advice.
I just had my shop make me one ....... I put rox risers on my 640 and the only cable that needed to be longer was the decomp cable. Oh, and BTW my shop (I know the peeps there) is a triumph shop. I could see if they could make you one if you'd like - EDIT: Just read your post again and you have a place that can make you one if you send them an OEM one ...... I believe I have the original one still. If I do you can have it for the cost of a six pack.

I'll check when I get home from work and post up, eh ......

G.

Old 05-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #1500
makazica
Studly Adventurer

About the decomp cable, I had one made 3 cm longer to make it fit nice and loose because I have 4,5 cm of risers....

M.