Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2011, 04:59 PM   #16
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Knight rides the PDS and can ride anything he want, so I wouldn't bet on the 500EXC coming without linkage...
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

Oddometer: 312
New 500 exc

I'm impressed! Where can I sign up for one?

gmtcm
gmtcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:40 PM   #18
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
I was wrong about the 690 design, the head is almost the same as the current 530. Further study reveals that the outward apperance of the heads are the same with the addition of a MAP or temp sensor for the EFI just left and below the spark plug, the cases are different as is the trans and clutch aspects one could assume. Possible good news for those wanting the factory 570 kit or other BB kit which would need only drilling and tapping for the MAP sensor. This may be KTM's way of addressing oil transfer issues and the percieved lack of long term durability due to low oil volume on extended rides. Can't wait to get more data. See pics below to compare heads.

New 500exc: note MAP sensor location.

current 530 head: note MAP sensor location as a flat area left and below plug.

Visigothic screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 08:43 AM
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #19
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visigothic View Post
I was wrong about the 690 design, the head is almost the same as the current 530. Further study reviels that the outward apperance of the heads are the same with the addition of a MAP or temp sensor for the EFI just left and below the spark plug, the cases are different as is the trans and clutch aspects one could assume. Possible good news for those wanting the factory 570 kit or other BB kit which would need only drilling and tapping for the MAP sensor. This may be KTM's way of addressing oil transfer issues and the percieved lack of long term durability due to low oil volume on extended rides. Can't wait to get more data. See pics below to compare heads.
Which of the features do you consider relevant in the case of long term durability?

M.
makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM   #20
johnno950
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by makazica View Post
Which of the features do you consider relevant in the case of long term durability?

M.
David Knights right wrist
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 01:52 PM   #21
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

As far as the percieved oil problem with the 530's, most of my friends that have 08 and 09 450's and 530's have to add oil to them on longer rides. I'm sure hoping that they get rid of the separate engine/tranny oil compartments and increase the capacity of engine oil. It has kept me from buying the 08 or newer 530's, and I have kept my 525.

gmtcm
Old 05-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #22
makazica
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Point taken.

makazica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #23
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

[QUOTE=makazica;15804128]Which of the features do you consider relevant in the case of long term durability?

gmtcmAs far as the percieved oil problem with the 530's, most of my friends that have 08 and 09 450's and 530's have to add oil to them on longer rides. I'm sure hoping that they get rid of the separate engine/tranny oil compartments and increase the capacity of engine oil. It has kept me from buying the 08 or newer 530's, and I have kept my 525.

gmtcm

Pretty much what he said. Some have had issues, others none but more oil available means more to burn or lose before a major engine failure i.e. rings, valves and heat related issues etc. without having to check it every 3 hours to top it off. I don't own a 530 but the low oil volume has been a major consideration on deciding to get a 530 or 690. Now that they have gone EFI on this 500 Im looking hard at the 690. Now that its been de-carb'd if I'm going to have to put up with all the KTM EFI and fuel dilivery problems I just a soon drive a bike that I can get 3000 miles out of before oil changes or having to do top over hauls at 60 hours even if it means 30 lbs of extra weight. My hope and others too is that they have increased the oil volume some and have gone back to a single sump case to rid it of the oil transfer problems of blowing internal seals(pre2010). The EFI is another story all together, hopefully they have that sorted out by now we can only hope. If not I hope this engine will be easier to convert to a carb than the 690 is.

I'm holding out on this one until I get more info.

EFI lets all drive green..............................

"Solid state electronics are like the Govt. it either works or it doesn't...........because even when it appears to work it may not be working the way its supposed to."

Visigothic screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 08:41 PM
Old 05-01-2011, 09:20 PM   #24
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

I was being kind about adding oil to the 450/530's. Some of my friends have had to turn their bikes in for top end overhauls, with relatively little time on them. I have owned two 690 Enduros, and wound up going back to my beloved paint mixer (640 Six Days).

gmtcm
Old 05-01-2011, 09:50 PM   #25
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtcm View Post
I was being kind about adding oil to the 450/530's. Some of my friends have had to turn their bikes in for top end overhauls, with relatively little time on them. I have owned two 690 Enduros, and wound up going back to my beloved paint mixer (640 Six Days).

gmtcm
690 not living up to par, what issues?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #26
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 4,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtcm View Post

gmtcm
hard to beat a good old paint mixer
Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 PM   #27
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,478
Coolant temp sensor. MAP Would be in the "intake manifold" amd probably built into the throttle body
Old 05-02-2011, 02:19 AM   #28
touser
canned fruit

Oddometer: 360
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so bad about the EFI?
Old 05-02-2011, 03:56 AM   #29
WestOzKLX
Elsie with Allspeeds

Oddometer: 869
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnno950 View Post
Gold!
I wanna be electrifiiiiiied.....
WestOzKLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:28 AM   #30
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Excuse my ignorance, but what's so bad about the EFI?
Nothing if its working right. Check out the 690 mega thread and read about the EFI and fuel pump problems. Carbs are just more fool proof out in the sticks. No lap top needed to fix, just a screw driver and parts. I might be over simplifing it but if out on a week long trip give me a carb. BMW seems to have gotten their EFI right but KTM is still having teething problems with some models the 690 to be more clear. I have confidence that they will get it sorted out in time but IMHO these are the types of things that should never leave the factory unless solved before hand. This new motor may be the EFI that changes the perspective on it.

Im not sure if thats the MAP sensor or not shown on the 500 head maybe someone can chime in on this but it looks odd for a carb'd motor.

caution:Patriotic rant ahead.

DEAD! Good job men! Thanks to all our service people and allies who have served and sacrificed. "Mission completed as briefed."