User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #1
TeeVee OP
His mudda was a mudda!

Oddometer: 728
Laugh 3 Dr's and a Day Ride to Laguna de Apoyo in Nicaragua

A last minute trip to Managua this past weekend. No time to plan a real ride and on of the usual suspects was not around. So two friends and I jumped the DR's for a few hour jaunt to Laguna de Apoyo (http://www.lagunadeapoyonicaragua.com/lalaguna/).

While we usually don't spend much time on the roads--boring and certainly more dangerous than the trails and double track--we were kinda pressed for time, so we slabbed it to Apoyo from Managua. It's about a 30 minute ride on Caraterra a Masaya to the road to Apoyo. The road to Apoyo is mostly asphalt with some interesting holes and vados--large drainage trenches that run at strange angles to the road. The Laguna (lake) is actually a crater, so the road descends into the crater itself. I missed some of the better miradores (viewing points) but took this pic about 3/4 of the way down.

Yeah, I gotta work on my camera skills....

A few clicks down the road, which had turned into a mix of gravel with a good mix of larger stones thrown in to make it interesting to cobblestone, we stopped to check one of my riding buddy's friend's property, which lies behind the stone wall.

My DR is the middle bike.

We then rode down to the lake shore.

Although I didn't capture any in the pics, the lake has some pretty interesting rocks--they float! Actually, they are chunks of lava with lots of air pockets.

After a 2 minute stop to snap pics and for me to catch my breath, we headed up a pretty rocky section of double track to continue the ride. The rocks very soon gave way to deeply rutted muddy double track. Of course, the picture doesn't do it justice, and there was no way I was going to stop in middle of the nastiest sections and try to wrestle the bike and the camera.

Someone had to relieve themself and my friend insisted i pose for a glamor shot and my pals felt the need to have what appeared to be a very serious conversation.

About 3km later, we arrived at www.apoyolodge.com, which is really cool little hotel in middle of nowhere. You need 4wd or an offroad capable bike to get there. the coordinates are: N 11 54.227 W 086 29.901. If you happen to be riding through Nicaragua, this is a great place to stay for a while. The owner is a cool Canadian guy who used to race MX and now rides a KLR (don't hold it against him).

After enjoying a few rum and cokes, we headed off to a neat little restaurant on the top of the crater called La Cueva del Tigre in a small town called Catarina. We chowed down on some pretty tasty local seafood. Here are a few shots of the view from the restaurant. The volcano is called Volcan Masaya. You can clearly see the steam plume.

and my obligatory salute...

TeeVee screwed with this post 11-10-2010 at 01:42 PM
TeeVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:21 AM   #2
Krusty ...
What? Me hurry?

Oddometer: 7,590
Always good to see DR's in action ...
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #3
psdr rider
Broken Twice, 3x shy

Oddometer: 6
Great Trail Pics

Looks like my kinda trail ride. Keep posting those pics!
psdr rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #4
EvanADV
Big Bearded Boy

Oddometer: 1,331
A friend of mine owns a bed and breakfast on that Lagoon called La Orquidea.
First Trip on 2 Wheels. 10,000 miles. 21 years old.
NC to Maine for Lobster Dinner
EvanADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
Motojournalism
motojournalism.com

Oddometer: 1,630
Nicaragua is nice Looks like the DRs are perfect for that terrain

Way Out West - Canada to the Darien Gap
Follow me on Twitter
Motojournalism is offline   Reply With Quote