Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2011, 03:05 PM   #76
guzzitaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzzitaco View Post

5) 1975: BMW starts the development department to build a series Enduro. The experimental prototype, nicknamed "Red Devil ".
Color pic of the "Red Devil". This one was tough to find !!!
Attached Images

guzzitaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #77
Caddy82rats
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
some pics of a Scrambler based on a R90 from the UK

I hope it brings you ideas on your build !!!
Nice one
Caddy82rats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #78
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
some pics of a Scrambler based on a R90 from the UK

I hope it brings you ideas on your build !!!
Very cool bike.
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #79
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,411
I'm digging all of the high pipes
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:47 PM   #80
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
I did the opposite - when we started racing bikes at our local car dirt track with hard pack clay,I took my TS400 down to use.I didn't like the 19in front wheel,and had fitted a TM front end from my dead donor TM400.The 21in knob was crap on the hard pack,and refitted the 19in into the TM forks,and fitted a 3.75 Kenda Speedway tyre,and a 4.00x18 trials tyre to the rear.This was a great set up,and tried it on some gravel roads too,and found it better there than the 21in too.Hence the reason my R65 is set up like that,and confirms my earlier findings.Each to their own.
They sometimes run flat track tires front and rear at the track I am talking about. Usually, about everyone agrees on what works better on that particular night. But what works better is comparing oranges and apples. If they made a smaller flat track front tire I am sure everybody would be running them soon enough just like they do in every other type of motorcycle racing out there. Including speedway racing. The only motorcycle racing that I can think of that runs as big of a front tire as the rear is flat track racing and that is because the rules make them. It's great that you like big front tires but most everybody else doesn't on street bikes and dirt bikes. Not if they want to win races. Big front tires certainly do slow down handling except for when they tank slap. They speed that up quite a bit. It's fine that you like them motu. I am just trying to help others set up a good handling bike by pointing out how it is.
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #81
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by supershaft View Post
If they made a smaller flat track front tire I am sure everybody would be running them soon enough just like they do in every other type of motorcycle racing out there. Including speedway racing. The only motorcycle racing that I can think of that runs as big of a front tire as the rear is flat track racing and that is because the rules make them.
They do - the K180 is avaiable in 3.00x21,and I used one on my XT600 (I'll supply a photo if you don't believe me).They may require that tyre size in your country,but the rest of the world has no such rule.Riding flattracker on our short tracks the riders used to run either 19in speedway tyres front and rear,or 4.00x18 competition trials tyres front and rear.I've ridden with both setups on our tracks,and they handle excellent,they wouldn't do that if the 21in was the faster way to go...and some were out there on 21in wheels.
motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:41 PM   #82
supershaft
because I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by motu View Post
They do - the K180 is avaiable in 3.00x21,and I used one on my XT600 (I'll supply a photo if you don't believe me).They may require that tyre size in your country,but the rest of the world has no such rule.Riding flattracker on our short tracks the riders used to run either 19in speedway tyres front and rear,or 4.00x18 competition trials tyres front and rear.I've ridden with both setups on our tracks,and they handle excellent,they wouldn't do that if the 21in was the faster way to go...and some were out there on 21in wheels.
Speedway tires as in speedway racing bikes? Speedway bikes don't run close to the same size tires front and rear.

What is a K180? What makes a K180 a flat track tire? Here in the US were the sport was invented, the rules make a flat track tire. They're all 19" and all the same size and basic type.

Here in CA with AMA Grand National qualifiers and winners having fun at a track night, what works best between a class C flat track tire and a 21" knobby at the same track all depends on how the track sets up that night. It can go either way. Ben Bostrom, for instance, who I think won a Hot Shoes AMA Flat Track National Championship and, of course, his AMA 750 Superbike National Championship and six World Superbike race wins likes a 21 inch front knobby a lot of the time as do other very fast guys that I know or know of including Ben's brother Eric. There dad often runs a 21' knobby sometimes when it is allowed. So does four time AMA Grand National flat track winner and about 10 year AMA GNC pro rider Johnny Murphree if I remember him talking with my shop landlord right. They all ride together and I ride with my shop landlord and work on/setup his bikes. They can go pretty good when they want and have good reasons for liking what they like.

At any rate, it is great that you always like big front tires. I still think that if you look at the entire scene, you would have to admit that most people most of the time don't.

supershaft screwed with this post 05-02-2011 at 09:52 PM
Old 05-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #83
Rucksta
SS Blowhard

Oddometer: 2,658
Speedway?

What do you guys call speedway?

Is it like this?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorcycle_speedway

Or is it some other from of sport you've invented?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #84
Houseoffubar
fine beer sampler

Oddometer: 1,767
Yep, that's Speedway
Old 05-03-2011, 08:42 AM   #85
Euromad
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
This thread makes me grin! Guzzitaco keep the ideas coming, bitten!
I'm doing a bit of designing as i just had my back cut open and must heal.

Currently the 90 has a braced swingarm,front disc upgrade, stainless barke line, 2-1 header. i had it set up as a cafe racer with the 90S fairing and low bars.

I removed the rear subframe and am designing a more rigid mount for the rear shocks. Another option for suspension is to use a monolever as in one of your last posts. I have two nice Konis and a limited budget so not sure about that design. A solo seat like the hardtail in this thread will be mounted. Need to do some photoshopping.

If you're building a scrarmbler for some off road use I think the stock subframe is poor. Making the front and rear suspension more rigid should make it handle a lot better,maybe with some frame bracing as well.

Who knows of a source for the steel or alloy fenders? I currently have one 70's Japanese front fender but i really like the clean look of those fenders- steel or alloy.
Euromad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:47 AM   #86
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,466
Quote:
From 0815 design

R80ST
Vespa blinkers
Custom exhaust
Flat track seat
Genuine question regarding a lot of these high pipes: would this not burn your leg?

Some are not my cup o'tea, but interesting nonetheless..

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #87
guzzitaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post
Genuine question regarding a lot of these high pipes: would this not burn your leg?

I'm honestly not sure...

I was recently in Berlin and I had the chance to stop by Boxerschmiede. I asked the same question, they show me the bike and it had some plates (or mesh, or plate, or plastic thing) to serve as isolation. I think if you look in detail, all of them have some sort of isolation to prevent burning.

Nevertheless, I doubt the isolation would be enough not to get warm, but since Germany is so cold most of the year (and they wear a lot of gear when they ride, like leather pants and stuff like that), they said they were OK with it.
In any case I believe high pipes look cool, but they have to be a PAIN in the a**, because I can see myself burning constantly (yes, I'm clumsy sometimes). I think I will not use them on my build (but I respect other opinions).

guzzitaco screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 12:12 PM
Old 05-03-2011, 12:15 PM   #88
guzzitaco
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmeslack View Post

The R80ST came standard with one high pipe...(covered with plastic)

A lot of people say this is a great handling bike and is considered by many as a scrambler. Nevertheless, BMW seem to have forgotten about it and they don't even make reference of it in their museum...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #89
guzzitaco
Gnarly Adventurer

another build based on a R80ST (I think)...
Attached Images

Old 05-03-2011, 12:18 PM   #90
supershaft
because I can

I am quite sure a lot of those pipes will burn your legs until they start bleeding. The ones that go inside the subframe might be alright.

Being cold outside will not save your legs from getting burned. Riding in snow and rain definitely won't. Wet pants transfers the heat all that much quicker for a quicker burn. Wet or dry makes the biggest difference. That and whether or not it is your leg on the pipe or your boot.