Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2011, 02:12 PM   #10
Eggsontoast
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
It's always a compromise

Some interesting write ups.

I bought myself the DR just over a year ago and it was fitted with a new set of Michelin Anakees which were very good on the road in all conditions. The front has lasted me 11,000 miles and the rear lasted roughly half of that, although both rear sets received punctures so would have lasted abit longer, judging by the amount of tread left.

Changed those over to some Pirelli MT21's as I fancied something much more off road orientated. Other than they wear out rather fast I'm pleased and at the same time amazed at how much grip you can really get out of them on the road, very good off-road but as is to be expected the MPG drops off considerably which cought me out but that's another story...
One thing I would say is try and get as close to the standard speed index as possible, you may never hit a ton but it's good to know that whilst the bike can hit that speed, you've got a tire which can deal with it all the same; as it turns out the 120 does whereas the 130 brickwalls at 80-85 if I remember correctly.

I'd like to try the T63's but realistically I will change back to the Anakees and either buy or build myself a set of wheels for that quick change over from road to offroad: still debating on which way to go...

Regarding the wheel bearings, if your careful you can actually pry the seal off and pack them with some lithium grease, not too much mind or they'll overheat.

Pat