User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2011, 02:10 AM   #1
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,738
Casual Ride = XS650 + XT600

Decided to take a ride out to tracks unknown; from Yass to Binalong -Murringo - Bendick Murrell - Grenfell - Koorawatha - Murringo - Boorowa - Yass.
I had some family business to catch up on @ Boorowa, so decided to make a weekend of it,
you know - slow ride - have a good look @ tracks on maps & travel over country I knew 30 years ago.
SMACCA tagged along to keep me out of trouble & had some tracks he wanted to check out too, so load the bikes; my '74 XS650 'Kenny Krazyhorse' & SMACCA's '83 XT600 'Critter'

Misty rain to start the trip, which resulted in one dirty bike by the time we made Murringo,

Quick coffee & lunch & out through the 'Gap' & onto Fisher's rd

which is a rather interesting mix of beach sand & gibber desert [I kid you not!]

then slabbed [6km] it down to Scenic rd [dirt], Harry's rd, into Bendick Murrell State Reserve,

out the other side [Roberts rd] on a farm track, left & slab it to Greenthorpe where the locals were having a tractor drive ?

More dirt out of there to Grenfell [last 10km on tar], out to Holy Camp on the edge of the Wedden Mountains,

Plenty of wildlife out here - Barking Owls [big mutha!], usual Mopokes & Curlews, etc, & bloody mice, amusing little shits @ first but wait 'til one runs up your pants leg [inside], & then you find out that SMACCA can't hold the torch still because he's too busy laughing/coughing/choking, f#@!@#! mice!

Next morning, a slow start!
Fill up on way through Grenfell;- XS650 @ 67mpg & XT600 @ 65mpg, good travellin' !
slabbed it to Koorawatha [lunch], via Greenthorpe,
tried to get through Karoopa lane onto Cowra - Boorowa rd, but got told about locked gates [check it out later],
so because of time factor slabbed it back to Murringo, & out 'Geegullalong' S/R [interesting dirt] to Cowra rd., slabbed it into Boorowa to see folks & meet new nephew.
Out Rye Park rd [slab], Harry's Creek rd [dirt] - Back Creek rd [red dirt], slab to Moorby's Lane [powdered pipe clay], into Laverstock lane [rough dirt] & home to Yass.

Dirt & smiles, a good slow look around the country on tracks new & old, on two older bikes that still hold their own in any company,

wish SMACCA would feed his bike though, always trying to eat its numberplate, oh well it's not called the 'Critter' for nothing! Got teeth now with that new 130x18" 606 too!
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 05-01-2011 at 04:14 AM
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:10 AM   #2
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,591
Tell me about the mice, Barry

Great show-around, thanks Bazza

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,192
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Fong View Post
Tell me about the mice, Barry

Great show-around, thanks Bazza
I always think you had to "Zip-Up" your tent it night? Or the mice will come right in? ED
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
[QUOTE=hunter_greyghost

wish SMACCA would feed his bike though, always trying to eat its numberplate, oh well it's not called the 'Critter' for nothing! Got teeth now with that new 130x18" 606 too!
Cheers
Baza[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Baza, looked like a good trip.

Macca I do have new rubber as well but I backed off from the 606 bought the 850 instead.
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
hunter_greyghost OP
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I always think you had to "Zip-Up" your tent it night? Or the mice will come right in? ED

Standing around the fire when the little shit ran up inside of my leg!
Tent was zipped up but they usually chew their way in if given enough time, good policy is not to put food inside the tent but leave it outside, possums [brushtails] usually cause havoc too, had them rip a tarp open on a ute down @ Mount Field National Park in Tasmania ['76] looking for tucker!
May you have one up your trousers Phil!, SMACCA reckons the mouse was looking for 'bush nuts'
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #6
SMACCA
High Plains Drifter

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferals5 View Post
Good stuff Baza, looked like a good trip.

Macca I do have new rubber as well but I backed off from the 606 bought the 850 instead.
Good one mate,no scare marks now .Can't wait to tell you about the mouse.
SMACCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #7
ferals5
865+652

Oddometer: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMACCA View Post
Good one mate,no scare marks now .Can't wait to tell you about the mouse.
Hope to catch up with you guys again soon
ferals5 is offline   Reply With Quote