Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 08:16 PM   #151
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwrek12001 View Post
how is riding with the big tank?
Speaking for myself.....I have a safari tank on my 690 as well. First I will say that the safari tank is not a big tank it just looks big. The tank is only a14 liters which puts it around 3.5 gallons. Added weight is about 30 lbs when the tank is full. That said I hardly notice the tank and most of my riding has been in rough off road terrain. The only thing I notice is occaisionally if I hit a jump wrong it feels like the bike tips forward more than it used to...makes sense....but is more of a riding error factor than a tank issue. I am 6'3" tall with a 34" inseam and a renazco seat. I don't find the size or with of the tank to be a problem unless I reach through a corner with my leg.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:29 PM   #152
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Oddometer: 1,600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daddy View Post
Just got my rear wheel back from the shop with the new TKC fitted.

TKC80 verdict...less than 3500klm and shes pretty well done. I hav'nt thrashed it but it has had some flogging. Will be trying an E07 140 next if I can get one.

For comparison these tires have had about the same life!
Night Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:21 AM   #153
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

10K Service

Just had the 10,000 klm service done. New filters,oil & grease. also needed valve adjustmet, mechanic also recommended replace stock air cleaner with oil/foam so will check these out. Also had him look at rear shock as it seems a little soft.

I checked the bike sag which was 7mm out but the rider sag has no adjustment so may need a stiffer spring $250.00 - $300.00. Is there another option for this or will i need to get anew spring. (the bike tends to want to fall off the side stand when loaded up with paniers etc) has any one got any ideas that could help with this that I'm overlooking?...i am a bit of a suspesion noob so any advice would be appriciated.

Anyway while my bike was getting serviced I got this to play on for a copule of hours
Old 03-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #154
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Molesworth Station South Island NZ

Famous land mark shot down in its prime

McKenzie Pass

I love this country!!
Old 03-21-2011, 12:50 AM   #155
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

more adventures...

Old 03-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #156
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

its starting to get wet in land of the long white cloud so out comes the high front guard...nice for a change

Old 04-21-2011, 05:22 PM   #157
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 739
What is the seat that you have on the 690?

Some friends and I did the Rainbow and Molesworth early March, great rides.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557

Dotbond screwed with this post 04-21-2011 at 05:39 PM
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 PM   #158
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotbond View Post
What is the seat that you have on the 690?

Some friends and I did the Rainbow and Molesworth early March, great rides.
Its a modified stock 690 E seat....lot better for longer trips than the stocker but not perfect...yet

Glad you enjoyed the molly...it cool alright!
Old 04-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #159
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Have some spare time to kill thanks to some maintenance work beine done to left stableizer....

Now that I'm allowed off the couch I decided to see why my not so quite powercore 4 is SOOOOOO LOUUUUUUUD. Turns out theres a hole burnt through the packing. You can just make it out on the first packing layer (the dark black area). The rest of the packing including the outer layer was still in good nick (except for the hole). Don't know how this happened but hope new packing will quiten it up.

Old 05-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #160
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:
I had one problem with my front fairing which turned out to be an 08 not an 09 (bigger headlight).

I decided not to do any welding on the fron stem for the mount so came up with a clamp system...works real swell (cool az for down under lurkers)

Do your aluminum straps connect behind the stem (another set of bolts) or are they simply holding by tension?

It looks like the headlight is the only thing mounted to the stem then the fairing is only mounted to the ears (with the orange tape). Where else is the fairing attached?
Old 05-03-2011, 01:27 AM   #161
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
Do your aluminum straps connect behind the stem (another set of bolts) or are they simply holding by tension?

It looks like the headlight is the only thing mounted to the stem then the fairing is only mounted to the ears (with the orange tape). Where else is the fairing attached?

There are 2 half round straps each side of the stem (1 top & bottom both sides)

There is one bolt connecting the bottom staps that passes behind the coolant bottle...you need to shave a bit of plastic off the lug to get bolt through...but hardly any) the top staps bolt on to the existing frame brackets either side of the ignition.

Apart from the two side brackets (which also support the indicators) The fairing is connected with 2 qwick lock fasteners to the dash. which is bolted to a flat plate bracket above the headlight.

All works pretty well and takes less than 5mins to remove the fairing. it is fiddly getting it sorted but the stem bracket is rock solid which is the key.

This bloke uses a stainless strap on his which I tried copying but couldn't get to work www.albertodottori.net

If you need anything more let me know happy to take some more/clearer pictures for you if that helps.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 AM   #162
TrailGoat
n00b

Oddometer: 0
Quote:
Have some spare time to kill thanks to some maintenance work beine done to left stableizer....

SpeedD, could you please name all the movies which are partially covered? I have been looking for some to watch and just have been able to find "From Dust to Glory"; great film IMHO.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for side-tracking the OT.
TrailGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:48 AM   #163
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,883
Quote:

There is one bolt connecting the bottom staps that passes behind the coolant bottle...you need to shave a bit of plastic off the lug to get bolt through...but hardly any) the top staps bolt on to the existing frame brackets either side of the ignition.

Apart from the two side brackets (which also support the indicators) The fairing is connected with 2 qwick lock fasteners to the dash. which is bolted to a flat plate bracket above the headlight.

All works pretty well and takes less than 5mins to remove the fairing. it is fiddly getting it sorted but the stem bracket is rock solid which is the key.

This bloke uses a stainless strap on his which I tried copying but couldn't get to work www.albertodottori.net

If you need anything more let me know happy to take some more/clearer pictures for you if that helps.
Nice Work!
Cagiva Gran Canyon
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 PM   #164
Mini Trail
nb

Oddometer: 2,153
Quote:

I appreciate it. It looks like I am going to be off bikes for a while so I may dive into a project like this for my 690. I am surprised that the headlight housing is strong enough to triangulate the mounts and support the fairing. When I get well I am going to look at street bikes at dealers to see how they are mounted.

I wish I had one of those Baja race lights to look at. I would love to build the fairing around that.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #165
Night Falcon OP
Adventure NZL

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailGoat View Post
SpeedD, could you please name all the movies which are partially covered? I have been looking for some to watch and just have been able to find "From Dust to Glory"; great film IMHO.

Thanks in advance and my apologies for side-tracking the OT.
some of the DVD's were included with bike magazines I bought so wont be availabe for general hire...but they are:
Steve Crombie - Natuarl Born Traveller: the great divide
Top Gear - back in the fast lane
Dual sport riding techniques
Trail Bike adventure magazine: the X factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini Trail View Post
I appreciate it. It looks like I am going to be off bikes for a while so I may dive into a project like this for my 690. I am surprised that the headlight housing is strong enough to triangulate the mounts and support the fairing. When I get well I am going to look at street bikes at dealers to see how they are mounted.

I wish I had one of those Baja race lights to look at. I would love to build the fairing around that.
Theres not alot of weight in the fairing so it dont need much to support it. Even at top speed (170kph) the fairing is stable azz. I hope you get well real soon...I've had 5 opperations on my leg over the last 2 and half years so plenty of down time for fiddling with my bike....i find it very theraputic!