Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2011, 01:51 PM   #16
outback jack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,591
Where are you blokes dreaming up all this the Fe 390 is a light weight weapon from? It weighs more than a WR and the Fe 450 as well by my calculations, power to weight ratio still exists don't it.

CCC ride Cattle, Coal & Cane or Captains Crossing & Castlemaine.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...1#post17025601
outback jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 05:47 PM   #17
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,729
I have a '10 FE450 and I absolutely love it!! Have almost 136 hours on the bike and the valves have not needed adjusting since the first service. The only problem I have ever had on the bike was when it refused to start - electrics totally dead - when I stopped to look if I could get around a fallen tree. Turned out to be a loose battery connection that I quickly fixed and I was on my way.

The handling is just fantastic and the FI is superb. The bike makes me look at lot better than I am.

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #18
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
Where are you blokes dreaming up all this the Fe 390 is a light weight weapon from? It weighs more than a WR and the Fe 450 as well by my calculations, power to weight ratio still exists don't it.
FE390 & FE450 weight the same in terms of kg, and yes pretty much the same as most current enduro bikes, BUT in terms of handling on the move it FEELS a lot lighter, like a 200/250 2 stroke, and takes way less energy to ride than a normal 450cc enduro like WR, EXC, CRF-X etc

ride before buying if you can, it WILL surprise you

the majority of riders will be faster in single track on the 390 than the 450, same principle as why most 250F's are often faster than the 450's but with a bit more grunt with the 390.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #19
theMuleboy OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
i was after the 450 cause i'm a big fella at 120kg & 6'2"

FE450 sounds like a brilliant bike but i was a bit worried about where i can get it serviced since i'm currently in bathurst (will be moving to melb/bris/sweeden in < year)
husky was the rival, and it seems everytime i turn around there is a new dealer popping up :p

also where is the husky fan boys? seems everyone owns an FE
theMuleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #20
hdog
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
if its for trail or Adv style use and not high % of serious enduro single track use, go for the FE570 over the FE450, does all the 450 will and more, plus its more relaxed, easy riding mid range and an absolute ball on the fast open stuff, but can easy DS for many thousand's of km
I have always liked the bergs, but when you say the 570 can easily dual sport over many thousand kms????... what is the oil capacity, surely its 500 or 1000 km intervals...

KTM 1190 R

KTM 690 R
hdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by outback jack View Post
As Gary wrote, the FE 390 and FE 450 are same weight (124 kg's wet) and you are correct; the 2011 WR 450 F is 121 kg's wet...

The comments about "feeling light" have to do with the inverted 70 degree motor design, and the benefitial effects that the altered inertia of the engines rotating mass (piston/crank) have on the handling characteristics of the bike... especially when cornering (I have a post on it somewhere back from april of 2009... when I first rode the new 450/570 FE's)

If you haven't test ridden one... do so, and get back to us at the keyboard. The sensation is hard to describe, but within minutes of riding one, you understand what people have been raving about.

The FE 390 is all about the "less is more" philosophy... and in tight technical enduros, that IS what it is all about.

Just about every magazine/test rider the world over that has ridden the FE 390 the last 12 months or more, has made the same comments; "feels lighter, turns great, handles really well, great - woods/single trail/technical enduro - bike..." etc.

You can't believe everything you read... but when you read it in enough places... maybe it's worth looking into...?

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #22
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,484
Troy, are you guys running oil coolers at all or bigger oil tanks?
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”

George Carlin
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:06 PM   #23
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdog View Post
I have always liked the bergs, but when you say the 570 can easily dual sport over many thousand kms????... what is the oil capacity, surely its 500 or 1000 km intervals...
trail use and sympathic throttle with a good quality oil 1,000-1,500km change is fine, it holds 1.5L stock, so 25% more than most enduro bikes.

We have a 2009 FE570 bike that has done 2 Safaris with just new rings at the start of the 2nd Safari as a precaution not a need, so thats about 8,000km rallye racing, which makes it good for at least 15,000-20,000km adv use in my books
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #24
troy safari carpente
Team f5ool

Oddometer: 16,107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz View Post
Troy, are you guys running oil coolers at all or bigger oil tanks?
Not on the enduro bikes... or in the (cooler) swedish conditions... just the normal oil/filter changes and service as recommended in the book for general trail work...

But (on the Rallye 450's) after the TUAREG Rallye in Marocco (was up to 40 degrees a couple days, and 400 km days in rocky/dusty/sandy conditions) we consider something along those lines for the future.

Actually it is an idea I've had since we got the FORCE sumpguard/water tanks for them; to use the three liter water tank as an oil reservior and couple the original oil filter cassette to an extra external pump/filter and oil cooler, before dumping it back in the reservior: Weight nice and low, compact/robust design and easy to remove/work on...

But one thing we did find (in the slower going/technical rocky bits/deep sand) on the TUAREG that the route of the exhaust header pipe quickly boiled the 3 liter content of the alloy sumpguard/water tank and the rising heat from this contributed significantly to the running temp of the motor (we boiled the radiators on a couple occassions - despite running the auxilliary el-fan on the RHS rdaiator in a "permanent on" configuration).

So it would seem that having the oiltank in this position AND retaining the stock header pipe design... would be counterproductive to the whole idea?

But (with relation to some new front/rear fuel tank designs that are being worked on) there is the option however to go over to a low style rallye exhaust, and in this case get the "heat source" away from the sumpguard... and this confuguration (for a rallye bike) could be a good one, with the extra oil reservior and pump/filter mounted in the way I mentioned down low.

All of this though, has very little to do with the Husky 449 vs Husa FE 450/390 debate... so I am going to re-post your question and my reply over in the Husaberg Rallye Bikes thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=15826118&postcount=235 with some explanatory photos...

"There is a difference between constructive criticism and plain rudeness."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenjen

"It's like deja vu all over again."

troy safari carpente screwed with this post 05-03-2011 at 11:56 PM
troy safari carpente is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #25
Burny007
____

Oddometer: 25
I got my brand new TE 449 2 weeks ago. Haven't had to much time on it but from what I have ridden of it on, single track, open stuff, hills, sand (deep sand at that) its eaten it up pretty damn well. I'm no riding expert but I feel quite planted to the ground on it and when I think I'm at the the bikes grip levels at 40km/h on loose stuff I just realise its my bravery running out .

I had the BMW g450x before this and I have found the TE449 a much better bike to be able to get on and go, no starting problems .
Old 05-04-2011, 02:05 AM   #26
noeyedear
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
+1 for the Bergs.
I am the proud owner of a 2011 570, and couldn't be happier.
I took the young fella for a mini adv ride on Sunday, exploring some cyclone devastated rainforrest tracks, he was on his DRZ125 & the big 570 was happy as a pig in the proverbial just chuggin' along behind. However, there is a hell of a lot of useable horsepower available with the twist of the wrist, an amazingly versatile machine.
Do your self a favour and try before you buy.
noeyedear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:40 AM   #27
stujamur
Havin the craic

Oddometer: 1,048
All this talk of hot hussys make me want one !

With the 570 been used as a trail bike / light adv bike, Will it cruise along happily at 100 on bitumen for a few hours if need be ?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:12 AM   #28
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stujamur View Post
All this talk of hot hussys make me want one !

With the 570 been used as a trail bike / light adv bike, Will it cruise along happily at 100 on bitumen for a few hours if need be ?
all day if needed
Old 05-05-2011, 05:15 PM   #29
twotyred
Practising Recedivist

Oddometer: 1,729
This guy has built a FE570 into a light weight 'adventure' bike. Some very interesting mods, including using the main frame to boost oil capacity. Not too sure about using the swing arm as a water reservoir!!

http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...avel-bike.html

More enthusiasm than ability!!
twotyred is offline   Reply With Quote