n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
That's the one I saw. ...
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM   #17
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Ok, double my innitial estimates after seeing that. Hope it's worth $515 in scrap $$$ at least. With as much heat as it saw I wouldn't be surprised if there is warping in the frame material and the little details are going to add up very very quickly like new brake/clutch master cylinders, switch assemblies, sensors, etc.

I'd have passed on that one, but good luck with it!
Old 05-04-2011, 01:23 PM   #18
MudSling
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
A pressure washer can clean most of that up...

http://apormc.com/
MudSling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 01:28 PM   #19
Magnum1b
Magnum1b, yes I had one

Oddometer: 746
Laugh Hmmm

That'll buff out....
Magnum1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #20
mnmlst
mnmlst

Oddometer: 105
I dunno... yeah it's a heap, but some of the plastic is not completely melted, and the tires didn't pop, so maybe it didn't get ridiculously hot - as in hot enough to screw up the temper on metal bits, but who knows. Unless you're going for a beater dirtbike, dismantle it and part it out. It'll never run right no matter what, and you'll spend a fortune.

"If you're going to kick authority in the teeth, you might as well use both feet." - Keith Richards
mnmlst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 05:04 PM   #21
F8 Pilot
Bak in the Sadl & Lovinit

Oddometer: 81
Wow, the first Triple Black HP2E I've ever seen.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:31 PM   #22
space
a.k.a. Jake

Oddometer: 2,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by F8 Pilot View Post
Wow, the first Triple Black HP2E I've ever seen.
Nice one!

IF the engine is largely intact, that would be an opportunity to really go your own way with the HP2. Replace the FI computer with a Microsqirt system. Build your own headlight setup -- the stock one sucks anyhow. Make a CF rallye fairing. Go nuts.

For better or for worse, it looks like quite a job to get it back onto the road. Good luck, and take pictures along the way.
space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:56 PM   #23
moosemeat OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta View Post
Ok, double my innitial estimates after seeing that. Hope it's worth $515 in scrap $$$ at least. With as much heat as it saw I wouldn't be surprised if there is warping in the frame material and the little details are going to add up very very quickly like new brake/clutch master cylinders, switch assemblies, sensors, etc.

I'd have passed on that one, but good luck with it!
Jist got frame back from powdercoater, all ducati red, everything else all gloss black including the final drive housing, rims and hubs. Nipple bolts polished to high luster. The motor and trans are oem perfect condition and spotless. 515(purchase price)+750(powdercoater fee)+ 30 hour of driving parts around and cleaning with a golf club brush = 3 offers already from local bmw shops for over 4 grand. the fuel cell was half full of fuel when i tore her down. was heat damage to bike not raw fire. So running your mouth here with out knowing what i know is well, fill in the blank. "Assumptions are the mother of all fuck-ups." Pictures of the bike and frame are on the way guy. I promise you will be frothing at the mouth .....and ass....
moosemeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:18 PM   #24
Andrew
Optimus Primer

Oddometer: 15,328
I would have left it as-is, that scorched GS was a beautiful piece of art, it was.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #25
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 395
Blah, blah, blah. Let see youtube vids of it running.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:49 PM   #26
Poway
SHED (Shit Head)

Oddometer: 486
Reminds me of a "saying"

Just as in almost every knock out beautiful actress or model-

One man's trash is another man's treasure.
Poway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #27
Some Dude
what attitude problem???

Oddometer: 4,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemeat View Post
Jist got frame back from powdercoater, all ducati red, everything else all gloss black including the final drive housing, rims and hubs. Nipple bolts polished to high luster. The motor and trans are oem perfect condition and spotless. 515(purchase price)+750(powdercoater fee)+ 30 hour of driving parts around and cleaning with a golf club brush = 3 offers already from local bmw shops for over 4 grand. the fuel cell was half full of fuel when i tore her down. was heat damage to bike not raw fire. So running your mouth here with out knowing what i know is well, fill in the blank. "Assumptions are the mother of all fuck-ups." Pictures of the bike and frame are on the way guy. I promise you will be frothing at the mouth .....and ass....
did you check frame for straightness before spending that $750??? Have any clue how many HP2's I've discovered untrue frames on? I'd have spent good money on the HPN frame mod if you plan on using the bike as the HP2 was meant to, BMW kind of went a little weak in the frame dept for a real offroad/dual sport machine and HPN can make it significantly better not only in the robust factor but better handling too.

I hope it turns out to be a gem for you, but if you want to get your panties in a wad because I would have passed then get over yourself, I've passed on alot prettier projects then that because I don't do anything half-assed

Ok so this AM I looked up just the parts that are required for replacement in the pictures or items mentioned in this thread to include all body work, tank, gauge cluster, air box and all plastic rubber associated with it, grips, headlight assembly, seat and wiring harness. The total was over $5700 at retail with no labor, transport or refurbishing of existing stuff and there is sure to be a lot of piss ant stuff like fasteners and a sensor here and there that will need replacing. This is going on the ASSumption as the OP put it that everything else will be just hunky dory.

I'm all for a hobby and have torn down my own HP2 twice, but one thing is for certain and that is the lack of extra parts sitting at bike junk yards or Ebay means not a lot of inexpensive parts solutions for a project like this.

Some Dude screwed with this post 05-17-2011 at 08:10 AM
Some Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #28
hilandfrog
jackass

Oddometer: 13,260
Forget making the bike whole again, make a rack crawling go cart

Repo
Old 05-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #29
MIXR
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Thumb Good on you!

I'd have taken a punt on that thing at that price if it was in my neighbourhood. Hope it works out well. The bloody internals are worth a bucket-load more than what he's paid for the 'wreck', and if it's a good runner and he spends $5 k all-up, then it's still a bargain based on our prices around here. Good buying for some small change, so good on you mate. Cheers, and have fun with the project.
MIXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #30
fitenfyr
Dirt is Good

Oddometer: 422
Heck the wheels are worth 500 EACH. LOL!

Can't wait to see it. I love to see people take something that is "trash" and make it useful again.

As a firefighter I can tell you that bike did not get that hot.
I bet the engine did not see anything higher than normal operating temps.
It doesn't take much heat at duration to melt plastics.
I have seen rooms that appear to be untouched yet all the plastics in the room had melted into pools of "stuff".

However I agree....all the rubber and plastic on that bike would get replaced if it was mine..save time chasing gremlins down the road.
2005 F650GS
http://www.jasonstiffey.com
fitenfyr is offline   Reply With Quote