Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2011, 02:04 AM   #3961
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR. Rock View Post
We fly to Anchorage May 13, return from Edmonton May 29th.
Good! You guys get back the day after I leave on my first moto trip. That means I'll have something interesting to do while waiting on the next installment.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:25 AM   #3962
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,972
Quote:
By now we all know you do your research Doc, but this trip sounds cold. And you may encounter Black Flies emerging around the end of May. If you have not experienced them yet, you are in for a treat.

Looking forward to the next installment of Mobius!

Jon
Old 04-19-2011, 04:51 AM   #3963
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
By now we all know you do your research Doc, but this trip sounds cold. And you may encounter Black Flies emerging around the end of May. If you have not experienced them yet, you are in for a treat.

Looking forward to the next installment of Mobius!

Jon
we bought bug shirts from MEC here in Vancouver...I am determined to not let mosquitoes or black flies ruin our trip this summer....I also have a bug fumigator... table top!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #3964
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,609
Quote:
Wow sounds early. We just had 3" of snow today. You trying to get back into the states this year?

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:16 AM   #3965
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Mobius v.7 almost underway

So, as of May 7, 4.25 PM 2011,

the Yukon River broke up at Dawson.

(One hour later:)

Which means the George Black ferry should be running very soon, which means the Top of the World Highway and the border crossing should be open any day now. Which means we're gonna get to ride the way more fun route back up through Chicken, and Dawson, (side trip to Keno?) down to Carmacks, where we'll pick up the Campbell Highway for the longer, lonelier, and dirtier route down to Watson Lake.

From Watson Lake to Fort St. John, there aren't many options other than the Alaska Highway, but from there down to Edmonton a world of forest service, logging, and mining backroads opens up. I've plotted three options, one northern into the prairies, and two southern into the foothills of the Canadian Rockies. We hope to get to Edmonton a day or two early so we can have the bikes good and prepped for M8 - Tour of Idaho .

Here's what the route looks like from above:

It's about 2500 miles. Weather seems to be in the 50's during the day, and the low 40's at night, which we can do. It'll be getting warmer as the days pass and as we head south. We hope.

Packing is underway, discovering various items that need to be replaced or repaired (helmetcam microphone). Still on the agenda is a massive haircut, and a bunch of work stuff.

Before we start rolling, we'll hang with our peeps in Anchorage at Motoquest, and install a new brake light for Honeybee, fresh air filters, and the Loobman oiler system for both bikes. In Edmonton we hope to change the chain/rear sprockets and tires all around.

As for DRZ-specific spare parts, we'll be carrying new chains and rear sprockets with us this time , as well as a complete set of wheel bearings, a fork seal rebuild kit, a new stator, clutch and throttle cables, brake pads front & rear, and levers. I hope that's sufficient to keep us moving towards Edmonton.

New for this leg, I'll be carrying a camera that my friend Thor hacked so that it takes infra-red shots. I think that has some cool-potential for shooting landscapes and the emerging spring greenery.

I've set up the Spot tracking page on Spotwalla, it'll go live on friday -- the link is below in my signature. (what a pain that was to get all three links in there with the new 800 character limit -- I ended up "tinyurl'ing" all of them, and cleaning out some leftover BBCode clutter... took me about an hour to get it to fit. Of course, I could have simply eliminated the Brazil quote to comply with the new restrictions, wouldn't that have been ironic.

Anyway, that's all the update I got for now. Happy mud season y'all.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 06:26 AM   #3966
Lil' Steve
PussyWagon™ Chauffer

Oddometer: 3,904
Good luck guys, looking forward to the next installment.
Lil' Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 10:45 AM   #3967
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
MT-21 rears, and Desert IT fronts.

In 1988 we (Tulsa Trail Riders) hosted a 3 day ISDE qualifier. We had over 60 consecutive days of rain prior to the event. About 200 of the top riders in the country entered. 9 Finished. Mud did em in.

9 and ME. I was the sweep rider.

I am an excellent mud rider.

The MT 21 is without a doubt the absolute WORST tire in the mud that i have ever ridden with. I would not ride any bike anywhere it is wet with an MT21. Everyone I know who has used the mt 21 says the same. --Maxxis IT works good everywhere, doesn't chunk knobs in the rocks and last almost as long as a dunlop 606.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #3968
GaryAK
Easy Going

Oddometer: 211
A bit cool, but you should be good to go....

Quote:
Before we start rolling, we'll hang with our peeps in Anchorage at Motoquest, and install a new brake light for Honeybee, fresh air filters, and the Loobman oiler system for both bikes.
Deb and I visited Ak Motoquest yesterday - Blueberry & HoneyBee are fine & your package is there. In fact, Deb left a small care package on Blueberry for you guys. Your buddy that works there (who wintered in NY) said he'll have your bikes out from the back of the herd and ready for you when you arrive.

One advantage of your early season trek is you might be ahead of the bugs. Also the motorhomes.

Sorry we we'll miss you guys this time - we'll be on our own trip.

have an awesome ride,

Gary & Deb
GaryAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:51 PM   #3969
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
In 1988 we (Tulsa Trail Riders) hosted a 3 day ISDE qualifier. We had over 60 consecutive days of rain prior to the event. About 200 of the top riders in the country entered. 9 Finished. Mud did em in.

9 and ME. I was the sweep rider.

I am an excellent mud rider.

The MT 21 is without a doubt the absolute WORST tire in the mud that i have ever ridden with. I would not ride any bike anywhere it is wet with an MT21. Everyone I know who has used the mt 21 says the same. --Maxxis IT works good everywhere, doesn't chunk knobs in the rocks and last almost as long as a dunlop 606.
Currently on bikes I own, I have D606, MT21, and Maxxis.
For the kind of riding Doc. is doing I have to agree with his purchase.
The Maxxis are great offroad agreed but will not last as long with the mix of pavement they are doing. The D606 (at least the rear) is driving me crazy with the highway winning noise at about 48-55mph, I am going to swap that one to a more dirt oriented bike and off the d/s bike asap. My son's DR has MT21 rear and it does "not" make near the loud winning that the D606 is doing at usual D/S speeds.
As for mud - well none of the DOT tires I find are as good as a dirt only versions. But the harder rubber and closer knobs do last longer when a mix of pavement is expected.

My 2 cents -
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #3970
rufus
We're burning daylight...

Oddometer: 4,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
For the kind of riding Doc. is doing I have to agree with his purchase.
The Maxxis are great offroad agreed but will not last as long with the mix of pavement they are doing. The D606 (at least the rear) is driving me crazy with the highway winning noise at about 48-55mph, I am going to swap that one to a more dirt oriented bike and off the d/s bike asap. My son's DR has MT21 rear and it does "not" make near the loud winning that the D606 is doing at usual D/S speeds.
As for mud - well none of the DOT tires I find are as good as a dirt only versions. But the harder rubber and closer knobs do last longer when a mix of pavement is expected.

My 2 cents -

I don't want to clog up a great thread with a tire discussion. But I have been riding dirt bikes for nearly 40 years. It was a struggle to ride across a flat field (muddy) at low speed with the MT 21. I can ride down a slick muddy dirt road at 60 mph with a maxxis IT. I have 606s on 2 bikes right now. ITs waiting on the side. I woudn't put on an MT 21 if it was free. ---Last comment on this subject from me.
rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM   #3971
Bell47Pilot
MonkeyButt

Oddometer: 1,759
Quote:
and the Loobman oiler system for both bikes.

Are you buying direct from the mfg? Their website makes it sound like something I'd like to get.
Ride On
Preston Drew Haun June 17, 1981- August 15, 2010 #1
To achieve anything in this game you must be prepared to dabble in the
boundary of disaster. (Sterling Moss)
Bell47Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 04:47 AM   #3972
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduroRdr View Post
For the kind of riding Doc. is doing I have to agree with his purchase....As for mud - well none of the DOT tires I find are as good as a dirt only versions. But the harder rubber and closer knobs do last longer when a mix of pavement is expected.

My 2 cents -
Well put. Personally, I can't perceive ANY difference between the D606 and the MT21 rears. I'm pretty sure they're the same tire with different labels. We've had good riding and good wear from the pirelli's. The Mefo Mofo's have been great, but way overkill for the riding on M6 and M7. The knobs are half worn from all the pavement, and I 'spect they'll be gone by Edmonton. The MT21's waiting for us there will be for M8- the Tour Of Idaho in Sept, and beyond. Hopefully not too muddy.

Obviously, the perfect tire is the TKC-90, but they're always sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufus View Post
... ---Last comment on this subject from me.
OK. But allow me to change the subject: What kind of oil can you recommend?
Seriously, thanks for the advice -- your oklahoma clay gumbo is about the worst mud on the planet, and thankfully we haven't encountered much on any of our trips... short stretches here and there. Without an absolutely task-specific set-up, the only cure for that stuff is a GPS set to direct you as quickly as possible to the nearest paved road.

By the way, since fronts wear so much slower, I put the Desert IT's there. Not DOT approved, and you're right, way better in anything loose or sticky than the MT21/D606 fronts. But for the rears, I gotta prioritize wear (you ever ridden with LDF? -- if she's not spinning a burn-out, she's riding a wheelie), and dirt traction a close second, and cost third.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47Pilot View Post
Are you buying direct from the mfg? Their website makes it sound like something I'd like to get.
Yeah, I took advantage of the 4 for the price of 3 deal. We'll mount them in Anchorage, and see how they work on this leg, then change the chains and sprockets in Edmonton. I'll post an eval once we get a feel for the rig. If I like them, I'll put the other two on our NYC-based bikes.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space

DR. Rock screwed with this post 05-09-2011 at 07:17 AM
Old 05-09-2011, 04:56 AM   #3973
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryAK View Post
Deb and I visited Ak Motoquest yesterday - Blueberry & HoneyBee are fine...
Sorry we we'll miss you guys this time - we'll be on our own trip.
have an awesome ride,
Gary & Deb
Thanks so much! I hope there weren't edibles in Deb's care package, 'cause those motoquest guys will chew right through the box if they smell food. When we camp next door at the HD dealer we tie our food up in the trees just to keep it away from them.

Really sorry we're going to miss you. A great friend of ours is finishing up a conference on friday and will be staying over on Saturday to hang out with us, I'd really have loved to introduce him to you. Oh well, another time. We'll be staying downtown from when we arrive late friday through saturday, probably without wheels -- any good ideas on how to spend a day in Anchorage?

Have yourselves a great trip too.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:06 AM   #3974
BigDogAdventures
Fart Letter

Oddometer: 4,883
good luck

Good luck on your next leg of your trip.

I hope the gps files I sent you helped you out.

Me and Dingleweeds will be crossing the BC border about June 8th---so I guess there is no chance of us crossing paths.

Have a great ride.

Mark
BigDog
2013 Husky 650 TR650 Terra
BigDogAdventures is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:48 AM   #3975
taco250
wannabe adventurer

Oddometer: 1,329
Quote:
any good ideas on how to spend a day in Anchorage?

There are a decent amount of shops in downtown, IIRC (Not like NYC of course). One place that was fun was the Alaska Gold Company. Kinda curio shop meets AK meets souvenier shop. Might be just the place to find some Mobius-appropriate swag. I also seem to remember an art galary or two, museum, etc. It'll be your last chance to get some solid concrete under your feet for a while.

BTW, have fun on the trip! Oh and stay safe too, if that's important to you, he he.

www.benddualsport.com

300+ mile Paisley OR day ride
taco250 is offline   Reply With Quote