Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #61
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogaz View Post
1. Is the crack anything other than cosmetic? Does it leak, does the crack grow....
Crack... it's not as deadly as they say....

It is cosmetic. It will not leak. It will grow down the length of the tank at that seam but I doubt it would split the part, mine was about a foot long when I got it replaced.

The outer casing is a cosmetic cover and there is a bladder inside that actually holds the gas.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #62
betasigscoot
Palaverer

Oddometer: 151
Warranty about expired

I just noticed my second tank has cracks on both sides running about the length of the tank. Do you just accept it as one of the design flaws of the bike & leave it, or get it replaced?

My warranty expires next month, so I'm going to check the valves & timing chain again. I checked them @6K & they were great. I'm also going to check the shock bolt & wheel bearings this week too.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #63
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Crack... it's not as deadly as they say....

It is cosmetic. It will not leak. It will grow down the length of the tank at that seam but I doubt it would split the part, mine was about a foot long when I got it replaced.

The outer casing is a cosmetic cover and there is a bladder inside that actually holds the gas.
Really? So if this will not break or leak then why are people getting so angry about it?

BTW, just checked mine and it too is cracked. 2010 which is about 1.5 months old (new old stock as it were, last 2010 in CA at the time of pickup). I've put 2500 miles on it since I picked it up from the dealer and have noticed the pressure blow off when I go to fill up once in a while, usually when it's hot out or when I've changed significant elevation from the last gas fill up.

So should I get rid of the canister and the pressure valve? I wanted to do so anyway but now it seems I have a valid reason.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #64
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
There was some discussion as to the new tank being put on 2011s but I am here to tell you if they did it still cracked. Mine has just under 3k on it and noticed the crack about a month ago. Will be taking it to the dealer at time for next service.

XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #65
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigscoot View Post
I just noticed my second tank has cracks on both sides running about the length of the tank. Do you just accept it as one of the design flaws of the bike & leave it, or get it replaced?

My warranty expires next month, so I'm going to check the valves & timing chain again. I checked them @6K & they were great. I'm also going to check the shock bolt & wheel bearings this week too.

I think a lot of people got new tanks of old stock of the original design with the hope that if only a small percentage cracked what are the odds of it happening again.

My dealer told me to hold off until the real new tank showed up. Can't remember when that happened. Seemed like July or Sept of last year.

I was set to just run a bead of glue down it if is happens again, now that the bike is out of warranty.i
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #66
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEngine View Post
There was some discussion as to the new tank being put on 2011s but I am here to tell you if they did it still cracked. Mine has just under 3k on it and noticed the crack about a month ago. Will be taking it to the dealer at time for next service.
Seeing this thread pop up again prompted me to check my tank again. I've had the redesigned tank for a while now and it looks fine. My dealer confirmed the new part number when they installed it and it obviously has a larger radius on the offending corner.

Are you sure you have a new tank or is it an older production tank?... 2011 bikes could have been built earlier than the fix happened or with older inventory.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #67
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Its probably the first run of 2011s so maybe its the old style tank. I guess time will tell if other 2011 and 2012 owners post up if they end up with the same problem.

XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #68
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
. My dealer confirmed the new part number when they installed it and it obviously has a larger radius on the offending corner.
Ender:
Could you possibly snap a picture of this?

I just got a new tank, and it is purportedly the "latest" p/n ending in 799 but it doesn't seem like a more generous radius....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #69
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ender:
Could you possibly snap a picture of this?

I just got a new tank, and it is purportedly the "latest" p/n ending in 799 but it doesn't seem like a more generous radius....
Sure thing... I just tried to get a picture in my garage and got nothing satisfactory. I will try again as soon as I get some sunlight. I did take a picture of my paint on another ride and it shows the radius decently. I would say the radius is at least 3x or 4x larger than the original tank. You can definitely tell it is different from the original.

Sorry I will try to get a better picture soon!
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #70
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
Cracked Fuel Tank

On the 3td tank on wife's 2009 F650/800 Twin due to cracking. Bike has a total of 1,500 easy miles. Use only Chevron gas, no off road use.

First one was really, really bad and replaced under warranty.

Second one was just in the initial phases but replaced under warranty.

The trird one is now on the bike, for less than 2 months and is holding up - so far.

I have a 2011 F800GS as really don't look forward to this issue popping up.

Hope BMW has the fix by now.
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #71
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Here's my old tank....

Name:  Old_Tank_Cracked (3).jpg
Views: 677
Size:  113.1 KB

Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #72
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Here's my new tank installed about 3 months ago, and I think it is starting to crack....
I guess the radius on this new tank is somewhat larger....
The dealer said they checked the pressure / equalization valve when they replaced the tank....

How long is the warranty on installed parts? 2 years?

Name:  New_Tank.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  123.6 KB
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #73
NCD
Dirty Hairy

Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Sure thing... I just tried to get a picture in my garage and got nothing satisfactory. I will try again as soon as I get some sunlight. I did take a picture of my paint on another ride and it shows the radius decently. I would say the radius is at least 3x or 4x larger than the original tank. You can definitely tell it is different from the original.

Sorry I will try to get a better picture soon!
FWIW, I have a late build '11 and my tank looks like this. My build date is 11/10.

The radius and the matte grey line look identical. I purposely bought the latest production bike in my area, hoping to get past some of the early production issues. My tank has 6500 miles on it - from sea level to 12,000 feet, and from 34 to near 100 degrees - no trouble so far with cracking. No pressure or venting sounds when opening the tank under any of these conditions.

NCD screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 06:15 PM Reason: Updated the build date yo, added more useless commentary.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #74
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy

Oddometer: 249
Crack

Mines been cracked for 2 years and I haven't given it a thought and some of that has been over some pretty rough going.

43,000 miles
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #75
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
I've replaced mine twice and now supposedly have the newest one. I didn't do it because I thought gas was going to come out I did it cause I paid a decent price for a bike that really shouldn't have these manufacturer defects nice thing is when replaced they come with a 2 yr warranty regardless of what your bike has left.
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote