ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #61
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by motogaz View Post
1. Is the crack anything other than cosmetic? Does it leak, does the crack grow....
Crack... it's not as deadly as they say....

It is cosmetic. It will not leak. It will grow down the length of the tank at that seam but I doubt it would split the part, mine was about a foot long when I got it replaced.

The outer casing is a cosmetic cover and there is a bladder inside that actually holds the gas.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 12:01 PM   #62
betasigscoot
Palaverer
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: Battle Creek, MI
Oddometer: 151
Warranty about expired

I just noticed my second tank has cracks on both sides running about the length of the tank. Do you just accept it as one of the design flaws of the bike & leave it, or get it replaced?

My warranty expires next month, so I'm going to check the valves & timing chain again. I checked them @6K & they were great. I'm also going to check the shock bolt & wheel bearings this week too.
betasigscoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:42 PM   #63
señormoto
Supermoto Abuser
 
señormoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: California + Costa Rica
Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Crack... it's not as deadly as they say....

It is cosmetic. It will not leak. It will grow down the length of the tank at that seam but I doubt it would split the part, mine was about a foot long when I got it replaced.

The outer casing is a cosmetic cover and there is a bladder inside that actually holds the gas.
Really? So if this will not break or leak then why are people getting so angry about it?

BTW, just checked mine and it too is cracked. 2010 which is about 1.5 months old (new old stock as it were, last 2010 in CA at the time of pickup). I've put 2500 miles on it since I picked it up from the dealer and have noticed the pressure blow off when I go to fill up once in a while, usually when it's hot out or when I've changed significant elevation from the last gas fill up.

So should I get rid of the canister and the pressure valve? I wanted to do so anyway but now it seems I have a valid reason.
señormoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #64
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Huntersville NC
Oddometer: 58
There was some discussion as to the new tank being put on 2011s but I am here to tell you if they did it still cracked. Mine has just under 3k on it and noticed the crack about a month ago. Will be taking it to the dealer at time for next service.
__________________
2011 BMW F800GS
XPEDITIONREADY.COM
Adventure Motorcycle, Overlanding, and Off-Road Outfitters


XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:44 PM   #65
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer
 
itsatdm's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Nor Ca.
Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by betasigscoot View Post
I just noticed my second tank has cracks on both sides running about the length of the tank. Do you just accept it as one of the design flaws of the bike & leave it, or get it replaced?

My warranty expires next month, so I'm going to check the valves & timing chain again. I checked them @6K & they were great. I'm also going to check the shock bolt & wheel bearings this week too.

I think a lot of people got new tanks of old stock of the original design with the hope that if only a small percentage cracked what are the odds of it happening again.

My dealer told me to hold off until the real new tank showed up. Can't remember when that happened. Seemed like July or Sept of last year.

I was set to just run a bead of glue down it if is happens again, now that the bike is out of warranty.i
__________________
BMW Motorrad USA customer service: "We make superior motorcycles and continue to improve them."
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #66
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEngine View Post
There was some discussion as to the new tank being put on 2011s but I am here to tell you if they did it still cracked. Mine has just under 3k on it and noticed the crack about a month ago. Will be taking it to the dealer at time for next service.
Seeing this thread pop up again prompted me to check my tank again. I've had the redesigned tank for a while now and it looks fine. My dealer confirmed the new part number when they installed it and it obviously has a larger radius on the offending corner.

Are you sure you have a new tank or is it an older production tank?... 2011 bikes could have been built earlier than the fix happened or with older inventory.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:46 PM   #67
XPEDITIONREADY
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: Huntersville NC
Oddometer: 58
Its probably the first run of 2011s so maybe its the old style tank. I guess time will tell if other 2011 and 2012 owners post up if they end up with the same problem.
__________________
2011 BMW F800GS
XPEDITIONREADY.COM
Adventure Motorcycle, Overlanding, and Off-Road Outfitters


XPEDITIONREADY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:42 AM   #68
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
. My dealer confirmed the new part number when they installed it and it obviously has a larger radius on the offending corner.
.
Ender:
Could you possibly snap a picture of this?

I just got a new tank, and it is purportedly the "latest" p/n ending in 799 but it doesn't seem like a more generous radius....
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #69
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel
 
EnderTheX's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: DFW Area, TX
Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Ender:
Could you possibly snap a picture of this?

I just got a new tank, and it is purportedly the "latest" p/n ending in 799 but it doesn't seem like a more generous radius....
Sure thing... I just tried to get a picture in my garage and got nothing satisfactory. I will try again as soon as I get some sunlight. I did take a picture of my paint on another ride and it shows the radius decently. I would say the radius is at least 3x or 4x larger than the original tank. You can definitely tell it is different from the original.



Sorry I will try to get a better picture soon!
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #70
1fastjunebug
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Republic of Texas - Southern Enclave
Oddometer: 171
Cracked Fuel Tank

On the 3td tank on wife's 2009 F650/800 Twin due to cracking. Bike has a total of 1,500 easy miles. Use only Chevron gas, no off road use.

First one was really, really bad and replaced under warranty.

Second one was just in the initial phases but replaced under warranty.

The trird one is now on the bike, for less than 2 months and is holding up - so far.

I have a 2011 F800GS as really don't look forward to this issue popping up.

Hope BMW has the fix by now.
1fastjunebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:06 AM   #71
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Here's my old tank....

Name:  Old_Tank_Cracked (3).jpg
Views: 677
Size:  113.1 KB

JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #72
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: The great state of confusion
Oddometer: 3,993
Here's my new tank installed about 3 months ago, and I think it is starting to crack....
I guess the radius on this new tank is somewhat larger....
The dealer said they checked the pressure / equalization valve when they replaced the tank....

How long is the warranty on installed parts? 2 years?

Name:  New_Tank.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  123.6 KB
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #73
NCD
Dirty Hairy
 
NCD's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Oddometer: 418
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Sure thing... I just tried to get a picture in my garage and got nothing satisfactory. I will try again as soon as I get some sunlight. I did take a picture of my paint on another ride and it shows the radius decently. I would say the radius is at least 3x or 4x larger than the original tank. You can definitely tell it is different from the original.



Sorry I will try to get a better picture soon!
FWIW, I have a late build '11 and my tank looks like this. My build date is 11/10.

The radius and the matte grey line look identical. I purposely bought the latest production bike in my area, hoping to get past some of the early production issues. My tank has 6500 miles on it - from sea level to 12,000 feet, and from 34 to near 100 degrees - no trouble so far with cracking. No pressure or venting sounds when opening the tank under any of these conditions.

NCD screwed with this post 10-31-2011 at 06:15 PM Reason: Updated the build date yo, added more useless commentary.
NCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #74
Ron Wardman
Beemerguy
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: South Oregon Coast
Oddometer: 249
Crack

Mines been cracked for 2 years and I haven't given it a thought and some of that has been over some pretty rough going.

43,000 miles
Ron Wardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 AM   #75
johnparjr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
johnparjr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Roseville
Oddometer: 204
I've replaced mine twice and now supposedly have the newest one. I didn't do it because I thought gas was going to come out I did it cause I paid a decent price for a bike that really shouldn't have these manufacturer defects nice thing is when replaced they come with a 2 yr warranty regardless of what your bike has left.
johnparjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:22 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014