Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2011, 06:59 AM   #61
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwo79 View Post
I think you all have come up with a great work-around for the ABS issue.

I'd like to ask the question a different way...

The default setting for the F800GS with ABS is "ABS On"

Is there any way possible to change the default setting to "ABS Off" and use the ABS button to turn it on when you need it?
You would have to hack the BMS-K. Good luck with that. Hacking BMW's cars takes hundreds of hours, there likely isn't any financial worth in it.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 12:51 AM   #62
Miikka
Sir Fallalot

Oddometer: 124
Count me in!
Would be a relief not to worry about turning off ABS after each stop.

-Miikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
It would be great to be able to deactivate ABS for the day, and not have to remember to hold down the ABS button each time you restart the bike.

Sign me up!
Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 AM   #63
Xskydiver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown View Post
It would be great to be able to deactivate ABS for the day, and not have to remember to hold down the ABS button each time you restart the bike.

Sign me up!
There are those of us as well who ride a combination of dirt and pavement and cross back over both surfaces many times in a day, so turning it off then back on just as easily would my preference.
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #64
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
There are those of us as well who ride a combination of dirt and pavement and cross back over both surfaces many times in a day, so turning it off then back on just as easily would my preference.
Those people have two options:

1) Leave the bike as is

2) deploy the switch, but leave it off (ie: stock operation) on days where you'll be mixing it up more and flip the switch for days where you're doing mostly or all dirt.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #65
Burnszilla
BurnsMoto.com

Oddometer: 1,272
The connectors are now available for purchase. I posted this in the Vendors section....
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...php?p=15880210
Burnszilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #66
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,564
I'll be ordering one of these real soon.

This is my first bike with ABS and it took all of one ride in the dirt to realize how easy the ABS can get you hurt if I forget to turn it off, it'll be nice to have this option on the fly.

Not to hijack this thread to bad or start an ABS war, but I'm finding the ABS really annoying ON road as well if I'm really pushing it. Especially if I'm trail braking into a corner with a few bumps, right when I need to have brake feel the most the pedal starts jacking like Satan is doing pull ups on it trying to throw me off my line. I've only ridden the bike with TKCs, is this contributing to the problem? If this is the best it can do it's far from a transparent system.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #67
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
ABS On-Road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Not to hijack this thread to bad or start an ABS war, but I'm finding the ABS really annoying ON road as well if I'm really pushing it.
I try and remember to turn off my ABS at all times unless I'm going to be on the highway. I'd rather have the option to slide and lay it down if I need to in and around town. Out on the highway at speed, I think the ABS can do what it was designed for.

My $.02
Dave
Old 05-16-2011, 01:12 PM   #68
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,166
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:31 PM   #69
Fronnzy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 335
Quote:

This is my first bike with ABS and it took all of one ride in the dirt to realize how easy the ABS can get you hurt if I forget to turn it off, it'll be nice to have this option on the fly.

Not to hijack this thread to bad or start an ABS war, but I'm finding the ABS really annoying ON road as well if I'm really pushing it. Especially if I'm trail braking into a corner with a few bumps, right when I need to have brake feel the most the pedal starts jacking like Satan is doing pull ups on it trying to throw me off my line. I've only ridden the bike with TKCs, is this contributing to the problem? If this is the best it can do it's far from a transparent system.
It's not the TKC's. I have the stock tires, which are really street tires with a slightly deeper tread, and it can be bad. I live in Edmonton at the moment and the roads here are 3rd world. I don't even have to be riding that aggresively to set off the ABS on a rough patch.

I know it's cool to have ABS on a bike, and it probably even helps in some situations, but the jury is still out for me. All my previous bikes were non-ABS and they seemed to work just fine.

I have a few other bits to aquire first, but I will get to this switch for sure.

British Columbia, Canada

"How hard can it be?"
Fronnzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM   #70
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,032
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfwo79 View Post
I'd rather have the option to slide and lay it down if I need to in and around town.
Arg.

Sorry for the derailing, but this is a pet peeve of mine: "Had to lay 'er down" is never the right answer.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:59 AM   #71
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
If this is the best it can do it's far from a transparent system.
Transparant? As in "I don't want to know when the ABS kicks in"?

That would scare me more I think.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 AM   #72
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,564
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'Flagger View Post
Transparant? As in "I don't want to know when the ABS kicks in"?

That would scare me more I think.
No, as in I don't want the ABS to kick in while riding in situations that I don't need it. Turning the ABS off I can ride through the same road pushing just as hard without any ill effects, I don't want ABS to do ANYTHING in those circumstances.

The reason I used the word transparent is that before I got ABS I've always heard the argument that you'll never know you have ABS on the bike until you need it, so it's transparent until it saves you from a certain deadly lock up. So far I haven't found that to be the case as it kicks in long before I need it in some circumstances, and actually makes it harder to hold a constant brake pressure at the limit of traction.

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #73
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,096
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Arg.

Sorry for the derailing, but this is a pet peeve of mine: "Had to lay 'er down" is never the right answer.
Sure it is. If you can't avoid, laying it down is likely you best course of action vs direct impact.

That said, most people give up too easily and make the decision to lay it down.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:29 AM   #74
sfwo79
euroromper

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post
Sure it is. If you can't avoid, laying it down is likely you best course of action vs direct impact.

Laying it down is a viable option of last resort that isn't possible with ABS. I have resorted to it a couple of times in my last 35 years of riding and it has saved my ass.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:54 AM   #75
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B View Post

I have 21 years of riding experience, most of which, including now, year round without even owning a car.

Zero broken bones, one sprained ankle, one sore knee.

I am interested in learning under what conditions rolling traction will not allow you to stop quicker or turn sharper then throwing the bike on it's side to slide with a very low coefficient of friction on expensive metal and plastic parts?

Ok, if your going to T-Bone a semi you could lay it down and slide under it, are there any other cases?

P.S. You can lay down an ABS bike quite easily, just turn the handle bars without shifting weight or counter-steering. The laws of physics are still in force, the bike will go down.

P.P.S. Oh yeah, had a cop once tell me that its useful to lay down a bike when your being shot at so you can slide on your back behind it and return fire from a covered position. I will have to take his word for it as I don't get shot at often enough to judge this.

Any other situations sliding on metal and plastic is better then rubber?
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote